Luggage Shipping Services

That is far too expensive. I can't imagine paying that kind of money to ship luggage.

Checking one of the services Peter Greenberg recommends for 2 Medium and 1 large suitcase, the cost would be about $156 one way. If you subtract US Air's baggage fees, that brings it down to about $100. I would pay that much not to have to hassle with my bags on both ends of the flight.

Returning from abroad, I could put up with the hassle. It all depends on your situation.

progress.gif -Barry

I suggested doing that to a poster in a thread where they are doing a B2B - first leg is Alaska - second is in Hawaii - that's a lot of climate change to pack for! A regular cruise it's prob not worth it, but I could see it on a B2B like that.

With the cost and hassle of checking bags, have any of you tried or considered Luggage Shipping services? Check out this link to Peter Greenbergs article on the subject:

http://www.petergreenberg.com/2007/1...luggage-blues/

--Barry

Thanks for the information VAmembergs.

Another thing to consider is the cost per hour (awake) of your vacation. So, if having luggage shipped saves 1 hour worth of time and your vacation cost you $35/hr. then this should be deducted from the shipping cost too because now you're using that hour doing what you like instead of dealing with luggage. (I realize this simple example does not equate all variables)

With the cost and hassle of checking bags, have any of you tried or considered Luggage Shipping services? Check out this link to Peter Greenbergs article on the subject:

http://www.petergreenberg.com/2007/1...luggage-blues/

--Barry

Thanks for the information. This is something that I have not thought about in the past. But with the airline industry clamping down on the cost of luggage...........it might be something to consider in the future.

Thanks

Rick

Guest carlogesualdo

I shipped my trumpet FedEx to Rhode Island last February for a conference. For what that cost, I might well have just bought the thing its own seat on the plane. However, it had a tracking number and insurance. It was there waiting for me when I arrived. If you do this, be sure you're coming in a day in advance of your cruise so you can make sure your luggage is there before you get on the ship. And also make sure your hotel knows ahead of time that it's coming. I had to put a big note on my box to the hotel so they would know it was my box and that I was to be a guest at the hotel. Some hotels charge to accept packages for their guests.

There is a bit of a downfall to doing this: you have to ship at least a day in advance, which means you have be able to do without whatever's in your bag. If you check your bags at the airport, you'll have access to them right up until you hand them over at the airport.

If I recall correctly from reading the one company's website - they will deliver directly to the ship and pick up from the ship. So for instance the couple doing B2B Alaska/Hawaii could take their luggage on first leg to Alaska - and have the company come and take their 'winter' luggage to ship home when they drop off their 'summer' luggage for second leg of the trip. No hotel storage - exchange at port - all they would need to take between legs is personal items (meds, jewelry, etc). Yes you'd have to count on them actually being there and being on time -but we do that all the time with airlines - and for luggage forwarding companies this is their specialty.

I shipped my trumpet FedEx to Rhode Island last February for a conference. For what that cost, I might well have just bought the thing its own seat on the plane. However, it had a tracking number and insurance. It was there waiting for me when I arrived. If you do this, be sure you're coming in a day in advance of your cruise so you can make sure your luggage is there before you get on the ship. And also make sure your hotel knows ahead of time that it's coming. I had to put a big note on my box to the hotel so they would know it was my box and that I was to be a guest at the hotel. Some hotels charge to accept packages for their guests.

There is a bit of a downfall to doing this: you have to ship at least a day in advance, which means you have be able to do without whatever's in your bag. If you check your bags at the airport, you'll have access to them right up until you hand them over at the airport.

I checked 2 different scenarios and both of them I could probably purchase a whole new wardrobe with what the shipping costs were :eek:

I checked for an international round trip, two large bags and the cost was almost $1300.00. The domestic shipping was over $800.

I can absolutely understand it if you cannot manage your own luggage, there are always circumstances that would make it worth while for some.

Archived