bottom-dragger

do you geocache on your trip?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. do you geocache on your trip?

• i have no idea what you're talking about
    • it would interfere with my shopping
    • it's a spare time option, i've packed my gps
    • yes, it's one more highlight to the journey

Okay - patience please. Have heard of this game, use a gps to drive in unfamiliar areas and would love to get started with geocaching. Anyone have the patience to get a novice going with this pasttime. Need the very, very basics.......thanks if you have an inclination to help.

Okay - patience please. Have heard of this game, use a gps to drive in unfamiliar areas and would love to get started with geocaching. Anyone have the patience to get a novice going with this pasttime. Need the very, very basics.......thanks if you have an inclination to help.

high tech treasure hunting and orienteering. adds one more item of interest to a hike or a drive. you'll go places you never had reason to.

i hide a "cache" of a weatherproof container (film canister, tupperware) that contains a logbook and maybe some trinkets to swap. i take a gps reading and then post that location.

someone takes those gps coodinates and finds the cache, logs their find, swaps trinkets, etc. all this must be done without being noticed by "muggles"; the non-magic.

works best with handheld units as most locations aren't drivable. very common on hiking trails and scenic turnouts. the glen highway is peppered with them, as is mendenhall. one in junuea takes you to a tourist reception center where you have to give a secret message to the counter workers. in boulder, co, one at a small winery is located in a pile of barrels.

they're out there. the posted online logs show many cruisers are scoring in ktn, jnu, sit. but, their goal is not to be found out by the muggles........

Love to Geocache. Go to places that I did not know exist even in my own home town.

DW (trvlcrzy) and I are planning on getting some caches in Alaska on our upcoming 7 day Alaskan cruise. Also, planning on putting in some travel bug also to see where they end up!!!

David

DW (trvlcrzy) and I are planning on getting some caches in Alaska on our upcoming 7 day Alaskan cruise. Also, planning on putting in some travel bug also to see where they end up!!!

David

david, what's your geocache logon name? might try to trace you finds later. oddly enough, my geocache name is bottom-dragger.

beware the muggles

My DH and I have been reading about this and would like to try. What kind of GPS unit is recommended for beginners?

www.geocaching.com has recommendations as well as a market place for used equipment.

last i checked, garmin was the only brand that could electronically download cache locations from this website. but manual entry is no big deal.

i use a garmin gpsmap60 but like all electronics, as soon as you write your check, that model is obsolete.

you don't have to be a techno-geek.

any geocachers? kind of hard to tag the pier convenient caches when it's a four ship day and all the muggles are about.

We have been geocaching for a couple of years now. Hit a couple of caches in Hawaii this year and dropped a TB. Unfortunately it is back on the mainland already.:( Going to Alaska in 8/09 and have plans of doing some searching. Who knows, maybe there is a new Alaska TB in the future.

Happy Caching :D

david, what's your geocache logon name? might try to trace you finds later. oddly enough, my geocache name is bottom-dragger.

beware the muggles

My geocache name is KR4AA and my DW is KC4SEW. Can not wait to do some caching in Alaska and Victoria Canada also.

We did some on our last cruise to the Caribbean and loved it......it was different big time!!!!!!!!!!!

David

:D We just started last week and I said, I would love to take along a bug before we get to Alaska, then we could plant it there. This is soooooo addicting.... and the best part is, it dosne't cost anything;) We live in Florida, so it would be neat to bring a bug out to Alaska, now I am really feeling the pressure to find one. happy hunting geo buddies:p

Archived