Sawyer glaciers

mommacl

I've read that the ships are having touble getting up to the Sawyer glaciers. The NCL Star has been going up to Dawes glacier. Anyone familar with his viewing? I'm not going til 8/30,there's no telling what the ice will be like. Last year on the Sun Princess in early June, I thought we got very close to Sawyer & S. Sawyer until we found out the day before A ship got so close you could almost "touch it".

I've read that the ships are having touble getting up to the Sawyer glaciers. The NCL Star has been going up to Dawes glacier. Anyone familar with his viewing? I'm not going til 8/30,there's no telling what the ice will be like. Last year on the Sun Princess in early June, I thought we got very close to Sawyer & S. Sawyer until we found out the day before A ship got so close you could almost "touch it".

We had friends who sailed on the Star last September. They were diverted to Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier and loved it. According to the email she sent me, the Captain said he thought they should permanently change the itinerary, as he thought the scenery was better in Endicott than in Tracy Arm.

You made me curious :) , so I decided to surf around a bit and see what I could come up with. A google image search for Endicott Arm produced some beautiful photos. Without having been there myself, I'd say that it looks like a very reasonable substitution for Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glaciers.

We are there in 3 weeks

Thanks

Conditions can vary fast enough that you won't know if you can get far enough into Tracy Arm to see the glaciers until you're there. While the ship might not be able to make it one week, by the next week it may be relatively clear sailing.

I haven't seen a lot of posting this year about it. You might try doing a search of Sawyer Glacier on the Alaska board and see what comes up.

We were on the Dawn Princess last week and did not get far enough into Tracy Arm to see the Sawyer Glaciers. The ice in the water got to be too much about a mile or so out and we had to turn around. I had the feeling it was right around the next bend or two in the river. The sights we saw were gorgeous, but it was a disappointment just the same. I had seen pictures beforehand so I knew what to expect, and then not to see it in person was a bit of letdown. I'll be watching the ship's bridgecam on the next scheduled visit to Tracy Arm to see how far in they get.

I'll be watching the ship's bridgecam on the next scheduled visit to Tracy Arm to see how far in they get.

She's going through now. Is this farther than you got or can you tell? Unfortunately, I have to leave in a few minutes so I'll have to wait until I'm there next week to see more.

Since you are on NCL Star they have a excrusion that leaves a half and hour before the ship leave Juneo. You get onto a samll boat that can make it to the glacier even when its really icy. Also many say you see lots of wildlife too. Then you meet back up with the ship and you board it like you would coming back from a tendering boat. So if you really want to make sure you see the glacier you should sign up for this.

We were on the Dawn Princess last week and did not get far enough into Tracy Arm to see the Sawyer Glaciers.

We were are the Star Princess last week as well. We were right behind the Dwan the whole way into Tracy Arm (and just ahead on the way out). The Dawn stopped, so we had to stop (about 1/4-1/2 a mile behind the Dawn). By looking at google maps of Tracy Arm, I believe the Dawn was just around the last bend from South Sawyer. Thought they might have been able to see it from there, but apparently not according to bjar719.

bjar719: there is a link to picures in my signature, some of the ones in the "Tracy Arm" section show the Dawn Princess going through.

It's a crap shoot as to whether you'll get to see the two Sawyer Glaciers. Our cruise line (Regent), like NCL, has a catamaran excursion that leaves directly from the ship, while the ship is in Tracy Arm, or directly from Juneau to the ship. The night before our excursion, we were told that we would go into Endicott Arm instead of Tracy: too much ice. Imagine our surprise when we not only went into Tracy the next morning, but got close to both glaciers. The excursion was the highlight of our trip.

The ship itself, the Seven Seas Mariner, got to see one of the Sawyer Glaciers from a distance, but did not get to see the other one at all.

It's a crap shoot as to whether you'll get to see the two Sawyer Glaciers. Our cruise line (Regent), like NCL, has a catamaran excursion that leaves directly from the ship, while the ship is in Tracy Arm, or directly from Juneau to the ship. The night before our excursion, we were told that we would go into Endicott Arm instead of Tracy: too much ice. Imagine our surprise when we not only went into Tracy the next morning, but got close to both glaciers. The excursion was the highlight of our trip.

The ship itself, the Seven Seas Mariner, got to see one of the Sawyer Glaciers from a distance, but did not get to see the other one at all.

I remember discussing the NCL excursion with you before you sailed. I'm glad that you got to enjoy the Sawyer Glaciers. Was the excursion about what you expected based on our discussion about the NCL one?

Amaxs469, we saw the Star right behind us when we had to turn around. Thanks for mentioning your posting of the picture of the Dawn, I took a look and it is a beautiful shot. We heard later that the reason for the decision to turn around is that the amount of ice in the water posed a threat to the thrusters. If one of those gets damaged, then I suppose there is no way to turn around to get out. From our vantage point, it was an awesome sight when the Star and the Golden passed each other. I'm still kicking myself for not having my camera at that point.

I remember discussing the NCL excursion with you before you sailed. I'm glad that you got to enjoy the Sawyer Glaciers. Was the excursion about what you expected based on our discussion about the NCL one?

It was much better than expected. We were the first ship to get to the glaciers this year, and got to within 1/4 mile or less of one of the glaciers (I believe North Sawyer), about 3 times that distance from the other. The views were beyond spectacular, particularly North Sawyer. We also saw lots of seals or sea lions, eagles, sea birds perched on icebergs, and other wildlife, and made four or five stops to look at whales. I practically had to bludgeon Joan into not canceling; and she was really glad she went. Incredible, and we didn't need a separate whale watching tour.

If your ship is able to go to Dawes Glacier consider yourself lucky. I was on the Rhapsody of the Seas June 27 - July 4. The night before we were suppose to go to Sawyer Glaciers, the Captain announced there might be too much ice to get close enough to the Sawyer Glacier. If that was the case, we were going to go to Endicott Fjords which has Dawes Glacier. We ended up going to Dawes Glacier and our Captain got us so close to it. It was magnificant!! You could see and hear the continuous calving! It was the highlight of the cruise. We got to see a lot of seals sleeping on the floating ice. We also saw lots of whales along the way. You'll love it!

Does anyone know if they ever change the order, when they change the glacier? We are to dock in Juneau first than glacier cruise.

I doubt it. The NCL Star is at Juneau in the morning, and then leaves for the glacier cruising part of the itinerary. As she's pulling out, the NCL Pearl is waiting to take her place. Changing the order isn't just a matter of changing the Star's itinerary, they'd also have to change the Pearl's so that there would be a spot for the Star to dock.

Archived