What to wear? 16 day cruise...

kjwinston

We are going on a 16 day cruise through the Panama Canal. I would like to know from you pro’s. What Items do you pack? How many dresses besides though for the 3 formal nights? What are your secrets that you would like to share in packing for a long trip. (I already know to take 2 Bottles of wine, with my suitcase.) Sport shirts, Sundresses, what is your choice. What did you “over pack”? Please tell me? ;)

We are going on a 16 day cruise through the Panama Canal. I would like to know from you pro’s. What Items do you pack? How many dresses besides though for the 3 formal nights? What are your secrets that you would like to share in packing for a long trip. (I already know to take 2 Bottles of wine, with my suitcase.) Sport shirts, Sundresses, what is your choice. What did you “over pack”? Please tell me? ;)

I have the perfect website for you!

The Infinity did the Panama Canal from San Francisco last year, too, on September 29, 2007. There is a very long roll call for that cruise and on it I found several links to photo albums and a blog of the cruise.

Here's the roll call (not page one, but you can get to that): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=390038&page=27

Cruise Critic member evoni has the blog and album.

You can see that the folks dressed up quite a bit.

Enjoy!

On these longer sailings I highly recommend packing for 8 days and having laundry done while onboard. Prices for laundry are really quite reasonable, and you will also find that they offer specials (particularly toward the end of the cruise).

If you go to X's website and check under frequently asked questions, they have laundry, dry cleaning, and pressing costs posted.

Have a great cruise.

The rule of thumb for packing is:

pack what you think you will need, take out half, then half again. Trust me it works. There was still a couple of items I did not wear. Because you are going through the panana canal, it will be quite warm, so you don't need heavy clothes.

Besides my formal clothes, I take two pair of "travel pants" in black and six or seven tops to go with them. The tops are appropriate for both semi-formal and casual wear. I take an small beaded bag for the formal nights and one small leather bag (black) for the other nights. I manage with three pairs of shoes for the evening - one dressy, one low heeled and one pair of flats.

For daytime in the Caribbean, I take several pairs of shorts and various nice pullover short-sleeved shirts. For daytime in Europe, I take several pairs of cotton slacks instead of the shorts. Be sure to take very comfortable walking shoes/sneakers no matter where you go. Sore feet can ruin a vacation!

The only thing I still over-pack is underwear. I hate the idea of someone else handling my "delicates".

When we first started cruising many years ago, I took a different outfit for every day and another for every evening. I took at least a dozen pairs of shoes and many matching handbags. It's really much easier the way I pack now.

Have a great trip.

Hi,

kjwinston, if your sailing ends in San Francisco, and is in early spring or mid-to late fall (your original posting didn't say), I'd put in a jacket "just in case" for the end of the cruise.

The first time we did the itinerary that sails from Ft. Lauderdale to San Fran was in late April/early May of 2005. The last full day at sea and part of the previous day were positively frigid. Those who had jackets were the only ones able to enjoy being on deck..., and the boutiques sold out of all their stock almost immediately.

CM

We are starting out in SF. But we thought about how cold it can get in San Francisco. I will take a nice light jacket or pull over. Thanks for the info...anymore secrets? Any Pro's who went on the Panama Cruise before?

The rule of thumb for packing is:

pack what you think you will need, take out half, then half again. Trust me it works. There was still a couple of items I did not wear. Because you are going through the panana canal, it will be quite warm, so you don't need heavy clothes.

I figure I would need underwear for 16 days. You mean I could do with underwear for 4 days?

We are starting out in SF. But we thought about how cold it can get in San Francisco. I will take a nice light jacket or pull over.

San Francisco's best weather is September & October. It shouldn't be cold, it will most likely be lovely, though you will still want a light jacket or pullover for when the ship is underway.

• 1 month later...

Layer, layer, layer! Parts of ships are warm, parts are freezing.

Wraps/sweaters/blazers are a must for chilly dining rooms.

A windbreaker or other waterproof jacket is good too because shore excursions run rain or shine.

My secret is I take what I want and if I have to pay a little bit for overweight so be it. I usually don't need to. Everyone has different taste in clothing and what they feel comfortable wearing so it's difficult to tell anyone what they should bring. The guidelines on the Celebrity website are a good place to start.

It was Dec when we were in the canal...Was hot as July and very humid, if you don't plan to tour guess advice about some parts of the ship is hot , some cold etc is ok but outside it was HOT. Also plan on raingear...it rains a lot, especially in the months of late Oct. and Nov. We had rain the whole day thru the canal, but off & on...was still very interesting! Loved the trip...you will too I'm sure!!

Archived