LEGEND of the Seas CPAP (breathing) machine users.....

:confused: MY husband and I BOTH use/need CPAP machines at night. Anyone here deal with this electric medical equipment while aboard Legend of the Seas??

We have NO idea what to expect regarding outlets. We have converters for the hotels while in Italy... days before and days after our cruise. That goes with A$$uming there will be outlets near the bed, must less TWO outlets near the bed.

What have your experiences been regarding electric medical equipment? Any wisdom would be VERY appreciated!:)

I am so glad you asked this question. We might be sailing on the Mariner in 2 weeks and my husband has a CPAP machine....I never thought there may be an outlet issue. Thanks for asking this...I look forward to the responses.

Ok folks.. earlier this a.m. couldn't get the search feature to work. NOW I did and found ALL sorts of info re:CPAP machines and outlets. So please disregard my post. I'd delete it if I could figure out how.

My husband travels with one. I've not been on the Legend, but I have been on other Vision class ships. We do bring an extension cord with us because the only outlets in the cabins are by the desk/vanity area. (In fact, we just keep one permanently in his C-PAP bag because we've had a couple of close calls.) The ship probably has extra extension cords, but they do run out. Our first experience was on the Rhapsody and the C-PAP's cord BARELY reached and there were no extra cords available.

As stated above, I just keep an extension cord in the bottom of my CPAP bag. I've found it useful for both land and sea vacations. I usually just plug it up to the desk outlet last thing at night before going to bed, and unplug it and toss it back in the bag in the morning.

My SO has a CPAP machine also. Right after I booked our cruise I wrote to Special Needs and asked for an extension cord and a gallon of distilled water for him for the cruise. They answered back in less than 24 hrs and said it had been noted on the reservation and would be in the cabin when we arrive.

special_needs@rccl.com

:confused: MY husband and I BOTH use/need CPAP machines at night. Anyone here deal with this electric medical equipment while aboard Legend of the Seas??

We have NO idea what to expect regarding outlets. We have converters for the hotels while in Italy... days before and days after our cruise. That goes with A$$uming there will be outlets near the bed, must less TWO outlets near the bed.

What have your experiences been regarding electric medical equipment? Any wisdom would be VERY appreciated!:)

My SO has a CPAP machine also. Right after I booked our cruise I wrote to Special Needs and asked for an extension cord and a gallon of distilled water for him for the cruise. They answered back in less than 24 hrs and said it had been noted on the reservation and would be in the cabin when we arrive.

special_needs@rccl.com

Allie your link took me to comcast.net, nothing to do with special needs.

Well, I was on the Legend last month and I use a CPAP. I had no issues with power as there was a plug right by the bed. However, I did stay in a GS, so I'm not sure on the other staterooms if there is one so close to the bed. The plug was a standard 110V US plug. I also had the Italy plug converters handy just in case and my CPAP (as most) can use 110v or 220V - but it was not needed on board.

As suggested already, make sure to take an extension cord. You can also request one on the ship (I did that last year on the Radiance), but to be safe take your own. Now that I recall, I needed the extension on the Radiance - but I did have a small inside stateroom.

Enjoy your trip!

It is real nice that they SAID they would have the extension cord for you. But why not bring one yourself? It would make way more sense to be prepared. Besides, never know if you will wind up in a hotel somewhere or something.

As to the water, many users have indicated that the water on the ship is very clean and works well, even though 'distilled or bottled water' is suggested.

If SO chooses to bring one that's up to him. In a hotel there are always outlets near the beds/nightstands - we travel extensively and have never had a room without outlets there.

The machine is expensive and it recommends distilled water - we use bottled water when we travel normally - but I have seen a few posts from people that they have issues with some remaining salt in the water - not taking that chance with either the machine or directly into his lungs.

It is real nice that they SAID they would have the extension cord for you. But why not bring one yourself? It would make way more sense to be prepared. Besides, never know if you will wind up in a hotel somewhere or something.

As to the water, many users have indicated that the water on the ship is very clean and works well, even though 'distilled or bottled water' is suggested.

I have used my CPAP on the Sovereign, the Mariner, and the Radiance and did the same thing each time.

There was only one, two outlet plug (standard 3 hole recepticle), next to the vanity across from the foot of the bed.

I brought a "3 to 1" adapter and a short, 15', extension cord. These guys live in my CPAP Case because I travel alot.

With two of you and nothing else to plug in ( I also bring a small 6" fan) simply plug in the extension cords, drop them to the floor, loop them around one of the chair legs, and run one to each side of the head of the bed. I cover the cords on the floor at the foot of the bed with pool towels so they don't get tripped on at night.

There has been a small nightstand on each ship on each side of the bed and my CPAP fits nicely into the nook near the floor.

Plug the CPAP into the extension cord and you are ready for a good night's sleep. :)

On the first cruise I needed an extension cord on Jewel of the Seas. They had it in the cabin in ten minutes. I now bring an extension cord in the bag. I also carry a tube of super glue in case a fastener breaks.

The last time I flew, a TSA screener advised that you do not have to remove the hose or mask from the bag, just the unit itself--makes for a germ free passage through security.

Portseeker:D

Sorry but this is the best photo I have handy taken on the Sovereign.

DSCN6992.jpg

Below the light on the right side of the head of the bed is the small nightstand I spoke of.

You can just barely see the TV in the right of the photo and the left end of the "vanity." if you were sitting on the foot of the bed the vanity is about 5 or 6 feet wide and the only receptacle (which will sccept two plug in items) in the cabin is on the right side of the vanity.

Hope this helps...

Archived