A good cup of tea on a Celebrity ship?

Simonthesailor

Having been surprised to find comments on the hitherto low quality of coffee (which after all is a national drink of USA!) am I right to conclude that getting a good cup of tea is also out of the question? By good cup of tea, I of course mean produced in a tea pot using tea leaves (preferably) and, critically, made with boiling water. There is nothing more horrible than using an often stale t bag, suspended in a cup of lukewarm water and then having subsequently to dispose of the t bag which is invariably a messy process. Ugh! T bag in a cup tea is, to me, on the same level as wearing jeans to dinner! At least you do not drink/eat jeans! (I hope.)

Hi Simon,

I think you'll need to bring your own tea leaves...and possibly a kettle and tea pot. Our experience (and this may be different now) is that you are provided with a tea bag (a fresh one) and small metal pot of hot water (hot enough to make an enjoyable cup of tea...for my taste.) To avoid the 'problem' of disposing of the tea bag, I leave it in the pot and try to pour my tea into the cup at just the right moment.:)

My DW has a ritual when she drinks tea. She brings her own when we travel/cruise and she makes it quite clear to the wait staff that anything less than boiling water is unacceptable. This is the only demand she ever makes and does it in a very polite manner. If I see her frustrated when she attempts and fails at this simple request, then it becomes a service issue which I gladly involve myself in. Celebrity provides my DW with very hot water for her tea. It may not happen for the first cup but the staff respond thereafter.

Barry

Having been surprised to find comments on the hitherto low quality of coffee (which after all is a national drink of USA!) am I right to conclude that getting a good cup of tea is also out of the question? By good cup of tea, I of course mean produced in a tea pot using tea leaves (preferably) and, critically, made with boiling water. There is nothing more horrible than using an often stale t bag, suspended in a cup of lukewarm water and then having subsequently to dispose of the t bag which is invariably a messy process. Ugh! T bag in a cup tea is, to me, on the same level as wearing jeans to dinner! At least you do not drink/eat jeans! (I hope.)

Well, there's a splendid idea for an addition on X ships. Fresh teas. I like it. :)

Well, there's a splendid idea for an addition on X ships. Fresh teas. I like it. :)

At the Cova.... For which they will gladly charge you $4.50 per cup for.

Or

$7.75 for a small pot of tea.

Look don't give tham any ideas. ;)

The background of my tastes are formulated by:

living in Canada, most people base their taste on Tim Horton's coffee.

I'll drink coffee at home, my wife mixes it just right(coffee is a complex solution based on the right mixture of coffee, water (non-chlorinated), water and 10% cream.

Tim Horton's is the only coffee we consume outside of the home.

When driving to the US, only Starbucks, when mixed with the right combination of cream and sugar, never black, is a desirable alternative.

My wife actually consumes half a cup of Celebrity at breakfast lunch or dinner. Seldom does she finish a cup of Celebrity coffee.

Celebrity turned me into a tea drinker. I actually like their Bigelow Darjeeling tea bags.

I am not a tea connoisseur but I remember the problems of straining the tea leaves for just the right cup, and preheating the cup, and boiling the water...

It takes a certain culture to appreciate certain drinks. When it comes right down to it my preference in liquids is for something that contains processes beyond the heating of water but brewing or distilling improves the taste of most of them..

Here is a little article of interest:

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/teabrewing/a/looseorbag.htm

My husband hates coffee but loves tea. His biggest problem on Celebrity is that when they bring the pot of hot water sometimes it has been used for holding coffee and he can taste the coffee in with his tea. He is always asking "Please bring my water in a pot that never has had coffee in it" Most of the time I bring our own tea bags with us so if you like tea leaves bring your own and a strainer and request boiling water.

Pat

Hi Finely Cruising :)

I know a place that has a large selection of fresh teas where you can choose from a good variety of loose tea leafs. It is called "chez sky sweet" :)

My DW has a ritual when she drinks tea. She brings her own when we travel/cruise and she makes it quite clear to the wait staff that anything less than boiling water is unacceptable. This is the only demand she ever makes and does it in a very polite manner. If I see her frustrated when she attempts and fails at this simple request, then it becomes a service issue which I gladly involve myself in. Celebrityprovides my DW with very hot water for her tea. It may not happen for the first cup but the staff respond thereafter.

Barry

And, hopefully, a POT in which to properly steep the tea!!!

You are correct ,you are unable to get a good cup of char on celebrity.We were lucky we had the penthouse suite and were able to have some mugs sent up and could boil our water using the microwave.needs must:)

I don't drink coffee...so I always ask for tea at breakfast..."Earl Gray" is my favorite..both on the ships and at home...so I ask for that...sometimes I get a pot of hot water with the tea bag already in the pot..and sometimes I get the pot of hot water with the tea bag on the side....since I am not a professional tea drinker I am always happy...but great to know what I should be looking for!! LuAnn

Archived