Fuel Charges - Grandfathered out?

CaroleSP

I'm trying to see if I can get a straight answer to this question. Lots of people has theories, but no one seems to know the answer, for sure.

I have a cruise that was booked pre-November 2007, which is exempt from the fuel charges. As this cruise was fully deposited at $900, I was wondering if I can change the cruise, keeping the booking number, and avoid the now $10pp/day charge.

Does anyone have definitive information?

Thanks for your help.

I'm trying to see if I can get a straight answer to this question. Lots of people has theories, but no one seems to know the answer, for sure.

I have a cruise that was booked pre-November 2007, which is exempt from the fuel charges. As this cruise was fully deposited at $900, I was wondering if I can change the cruise, keeping the booking number, and avoid the now $10pp/day charge.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know if this will help, but I, too, had a booking prior to the deadline of Nov 30 for an inside cabin on Norwegian Dawn for next January. I saw a special where an ocean view was only $100 more than what I'd paid so I asked my travel agent to check to see if I could upgrade for that cost. The answer came back, sorry, but your rate with no fuel surcharge would not be eligible. (Therefore if I changed anything I would lose the free no surcharge rate).

Yes, Maybe, most of the time.... depending on the alignment of the stars..

I've got 10+ bookings made prior to the cut off date.

Half were moved to different, more appealing cruises without the fuel charge being added. One sailing that was transferred had the surcharge added and my appeal land on deaf, and antagonistic ears. It seems to depend on the person on the other end. I was told as long as the original booking was made prior to the cut off date, no surcharge will be added.

The ability to make bookings and having the ability to change sailing date was part of the reason for booking future cruises when no "passages" were available. I've had a passage booking dealt with in the same manner.. ie no fuel surcharge.

Thanks for your help.

I don't think you can keep the same booking number therefore you would be charged the latest fuel charge...

I don't think you can keep the same booking number therefore you would be charged the latest fuel charge...

Hi dkjretired

The booking number (almost) always stays the same otherwise you are cancelling and booking a new cruise. If you have any OBC on your sailing the number stays the same.

I had booked the Solstice Inaugural (12/14) in June 2007. When the date for the inaugural changed so did I. I rebooked for 11/23. A day later I realized that date would not work and I opted for 11/30...I called Celebrity and the rep told me there would be a fuel surcharge if I changed. I hung up and called again (and again) until I got the answer I was looking for...no fuel surcharge if the booking number stayed the same. I can happilly report that I changed two cabins on that cruise and there is no fuel surcharge.

Hi dkjretired

The booking number (almost) always stays the same otherwise you are cancelling and booking a new cruise. If you have any OBC on your sailing the number stays the same.

But isn't that what she said she's doing....

Ditto! Don't tell me your thinking of changing cruises!:(
Oh, ye of little faith.

I'll share, but don't flame me.;)

I booked a cruise while on land last year. While on the T/A last September, I booked it again. It had gone up $100, but since I would be getting $200 OBC, that was fine.

Once the announcements came out about the fuel charges, I hung on to the original booking, waiting to find something new. If I could not actually transfer the booking and be grandfathered in, I would take back my $900, but if I could just change the ship & date and use the old booking #, that would be great for me.

So, I figured this would be a good time to see about the booking transfer. If I couldn't do it, I would just get my money back and book something else on the repo.

Thanks for asking, Ev & Rick, but I am definitely not giving up my aft balcony!!! I wouldn't want Rick to miss his opportunity to drop those water balloons.:D

AFter reading all your posts, I think I agree that on Celebrity they keep the same booking number. My example earlier on on NCL would have changed the booking # (likewise, their on board benefit of depositing $250 to hold anything but a suite, any length cruise) and immediately getting $100 OBC on your current cruise had that policy. If you used the $250 and changed your mind, they've give a different booking # and you'd lose the $100.) So X is much fairer, and I'd expect to be able to change itineraries and keep any OBC and NOT pay the fuel charge if it was not attached to the original booking! Yea X.

cruisinelsewhereI had booked the Solstice Inaugural (12/14) in June 2007. When the date for the inaugural changed so did I. I rebooked for 11/23. A day later I realized that date would not work and I opted for 11/30...I called Celebrity and the rep told me there would be a fuel surcharge if I changed. I hung up and called again (and again) until I got the answer I was looking for...no fuel surcharge if the booking number stayed the same. I can happilly report that I changed two cabins on that cruise and there is no fuel surcharge.
I'm wondering if it's the same with Azamara. I've been trying to get them to transfer my "B" booking which I booked last week to my "A" booking with I booked over a year ago with no fuel surcharge and a OBC. They are telling me it cannot be done because its a new booking on a different ship (from Quest to Journey) and a different cruise. If I am keeping the same reservation number why can't I just have "B" booking transfered to "A" and have "B" cancelled, therefore I will not incur the fuel surcharge and still have the OBC.

Oh, ye of little faith.

Thanks for asking, Ev & Rick, but I am definitely not giving up my aft balcony!!! I wouldn't want Rick to miss his opportunity to drop those water balloons.:D

Ok, now it makes sense! Our cruise was booked last October on the Mediterranean cruise, so we are looking forward to the OBC too. I'm glad to see your not jumping ship.:D

We weren't lucky enough to get an aft cabin, so you enjoy those water balloons! :o

AFter reading all your posts, I think I agree that on Celebrity they keep the same booking number. My example earlier on on NCL would have changed the booking # (likewise, their on board benefit of depositing $250 to hold anything but a suite, any length cruise) and immediately getting $100 OBC on your current cruise had that policy. If you used the $250 and changed your mind, they've give a different booking # and you'd lose the $100.) So X is much fairer, and I'd expect to be able to change itineraries and keep any OBC and NOT pay the fuel charge if it was not attached to the original booking! Yea X.

Phyllis, I'm going to just keep dialing until I get someone who will see it my way.:D

It makes sense to me that I can keep what is now a bargain; sure hope I find someone who will see it my way. Right now, it seems to be more of a problem to find a departure port that I like!

Ok, now it makes sense! Our cruise was booked last October on the Mediterranean cruise, so we are looking forward to the OBC too. I'm glad to see your not jumping ship.:D

We weren't lucky enough to get an aft cabin, so you enjoy those water balloons! :o

Ev, I plan on enjoying every last one of them!

I have pre 11/2007 booking that was done on board of another cruise - got transfered to another cruise without fuel charges. But I did it right after the first fuel cost increase. I don't know if that made the difference.

I have pre 11/2007 booking that was done on board of another cruise - got transfered to another cruise without fuel charges. But I did it right after the first fuel cost increase. I don't know if that made the difference.

That's great. I'm going to make the transfer as soon as I find someplace to go.;)

I have an answer and a kind of related question....

If you made your 900 deposit before Nov 16th, you ARE grandfathered ( experience- two separate res changes KEEPING the same res number, and confirmed by reservationist)

Ques

I made an onboard booking on Celebrity back when you got $200 off regardless of cost of room. I have kept it, moving it to other potential cruises. I moved it to RCL (allowable for elite) and then moved it back to where it is now, with Celeb now. I was told (supr put a note in the res!!) that I could keep the $200 off this time, BUT if I moved it again, it would revert to the present system of-- based on cost of cruise. Booking number the same throughout.

The res agent said they have not kept the old $200 off since the change to the current policy if they changed the cruise with same booking number, so this is my question, does anyone KNOW, do they and have they, not allowed a $200 off to continue if cruise changed since the new policy started? Thanks

Archived