Randi's in Mazatlan--humane treatment of horses?

mehitabel

My husband and I would really love to go horseback riding when we get to Mazatlan, but both of us are true animal lovers and don't want to support a business that treats its animal employees poorly or indifferently. Can anyone that's used Randi's in Mazatlan give us his/her impression of the way the horses are treated? Has anyone seen the stables or pastures where the horses are kept?

I'd hate to give money to anyone that wasn't being kind, and I just don't know how else to find out the scoop on this--I know I'm not the only one that cares. Thanks to the wonderful CCers for helping ease my mind!

I've read that they are the best in the area. Really are good to the horses. We are going in October (Sapphire) and my sister has booked with them right on their website - not through the ship. It's alittle cheaper - and they will arrange to pick you up at the ship terminal in Matzalan.

Randi & her crew treat the horses like their children. She even shares pictures when babies are born. The horses are well fed and well taken care of. We have gone with her 3 times. There are pictures in my signature below (both Pride cruises and the Legend of the Seas cruise).

As stated previously Randi loves horses. We have been 3 times and twice there were new babies and she was so proud in showing them off. She also is "family" with her helpers. Would not go to Mazatlan and not visit Randi and beautiful Stone Island and Victors.

I grew up on a horse farm and can chime in here on the condition of the horses. They are, indeed, happy. One of my nieces who came with us is a competitive show rider and she said the horses were all healthy. No, they aren't in a huge field with Kentucky bluegrass, but they are obviously well fed and well cared for.

We had the youngest son of the family that works with Randi as our tour guide. He was only 4 and rode at my exact speed!

Viv

Thank you all so much for your input. This makes me feel so much better, and now I can book a tour with peace of mind. My husband has never been on a horse and insists he's going to go at a gallop--won't he be surprised when he experiences that "jouncing" sensation for the first time! :D

Maybe some padding? I am well padded and didn't go fast at all and was still pretty stiff.

My niece, against all advice, wore cutoffs. Her rationale is that she rides every day and wouldn't get sore. Hmmm, but do you ride in hot humid weather? She had a lot of chafing the next day.

Viv

No, No, No Randi is so wonderful with the horses, and they are well fed. i was worried the first time also, because I heard of the other horse ranches that were cruel to the horses, but not randi's. i have been there 2 times in the last year, and it is wonderful. Her staff is also very patient and kind to the horses. Have FUn!!!!!!!!

My husband and I would really love to go horseback riding when we get to Mazatlan, but both of us are true animal lovers and don't want to support a business that treats its animal employees poorly or indifferently. Can anyone that's used Randi's in Mazatlan give us his/her impression of the way the horses are treated? Has anyone seen the stables or pastures where the horses are kept?

I'd hate to give money to anyone that wasn't being kind, and I just don't know how else to find out the scoop on this--I know I'm not the only one that cares. Thanks to the wonderful CCers for helping ease my mind!

Hi There:

I'm with you all the way on this question. I wrote "Randi's" a few days with a thoughtfully worded inquiry about the equine employees and have not yet heard back. It's only been about 3 days so I may still get a reply. Will post it if so.

Tee

Actually - this is their "off season" - since only 2 ships are sailing the MR during the summer. The rest have moved to Alaska. If you haven't heard from her in 2-3 days, I would try again. She sometimes has email problems. Check your spam folder too. Her responses will often wind up there without you knowing it. :)

We had the pleasure of riding with Randi's crew in April. :)

Randi is awesome and the horses are VERY well cared for by Mexican standards, (not my standards, but I own a horse that is quite used to the cushy life, LOL!), so no, they're not glistening show horses, but even tempered, in good weight, with healthy trimmed hooves, well trained and quite responsive to the rider regardless of riding ability.

My hubby hadn't been on a horse in 20 years and had a wonderful, mannerly horse, that took good care of him. I got a horse that was a bit 'hotter", but still easy for me to handle and very sweet. All horses were well matched to their riders and despite having people with varying levels of riding experience (or none at all), they were really, really good.

Lunch at Victors was amazingly GOOD, too and Randi is very entertaining and excellent company. It really was the highlight of our cruise in April and the best shore excursion yet. :)

Hoping to make it back to Mazatlan again someday to ride with Randi and her crew again.

we rode with randys,the horses lived at this house with a butler that fed them oats and carrots and they had a hot tub! and thats just for the horses.

the workers had bmw's and hummer's parked in the driveway they all had gold teeth 401k plans,health care.................!!!!

we rode with randys,the horses lived at this house with a butler that fed them oats and carrots and they had a hot tub! and thats just for the horses.

the workers had bmw's and hummer's parked in the driveway they all had gold teeth 401k plans,health care.................!!!!

Wow! Too bad they didn't need a ***** in the stable too, huh?

I've also ridden with Randi and had a great time.

As someone else has said that the conditions may not be up to US standards she does provide for them and they are well kept. Randi is a complete joy and Victor's is to die for. I only wish our next cruise included Matzalan.

we have booked with Randi for Nov it is 45 pp If any one wants to know. I also have have had a couple of e-mails from her.She sounds wonderful and sounds like she really loves her horses.She has also taken into account the experience and lack of experience the people I am bringing with have had with riding.I am really confident we will have a great time with her and her crew and I am really looking forward to meeting her

We took her tour two years ago. Our daughter was the only one of the four of us who had rode a horse before, so we had trepidations.

The start of the tour (at least that day) was at the house of Randi's business partner and his family. Randi's partner personally selects each horse for each rider based upon the person's size and experience. He put our son on older, tame mare that was perfect for him. All of the horses were gentle, and responded well to the riders.

The best part though was having a chance to speak with Randi and her partners. They are the greatest people, and it's a true family venture. They have several young children who love getting candy and small toys from the riders. If you can, pack some Red Vines or rye bread in your luggage for Randi. Both are really hard to get in Mexico, and she would really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an e-mail from randi that her horses are loving the rain they are getting from the storms in the area."they love the green grass" doesn;t sound like her horses are mistreated if she takes the time to let them graze.Something about a jack a**....I have seen chickens with horses and pigs but not too many a****.LOL

Archived