Bar Harbor question

dixieva

We'll be in Bar Harbor in Sept. and were going to book a tour with Oli's Trolley at 10 a.m. but now I'm getting worried that we won't be able to get a tender off the ship that will get us there at 9:30 to pick up our tickets. I know they take all the passengers who have ship's tours off first before taking anyone else. We don't like to book the ship's tours. If we just get off the ship whenever will there be taxis there that we can arrange a private tour to Acadia Park for 5 adults?

Thanks.

Ollie's Trolley runs throughout the day. Last year we took a noon tour to Acadia. We enjoyed the driver/guide on the trolley. He was a native of Bar Harbor and had lots of interesting stories to tell. Ollie's has a reservation desk in the building where you get off the tenders, but I'd advise you to make your reservations in advance for your group. We were able to get the last two seats on the noon trolly when we went to the reservation desk. Hope this info is helpful.

When I called Oli's Trolley they only had a 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. tour. The 2 p.m. one is too late ( we sail at 6 so have to catch a tender back and don't want to cut it too close.) I'm afraid we won't be able to get off in time for the 10 a.m. (have to be there at 9:30) since they will take off the ship's tour people first before they will let us catch a tender.

I hope they will be doing a noon tour but do you happen to know if we could just take a taxi tour? I don't want to make a reservation for something and not be able to make it.

thanks

Recently we used At Your Service Taxi. 207-288-9222 They also have a website.

Four of us shared a van @ $70.00/hr. We visited Acadia Park stopping at the Visitors' Center, Mt. Cadillac, Sand Beach and Jordan Pond (3 hrs.).

We thoroughly enjoyed it and all agreed it was a great day.

I booked it prior to the cruise and the driver (Clare-the owner) was waiting for us as we came off the tender.

I have never been to Bar Harbor off a cruise ship; but have been there. I have seen taxis around but this is not a major city like Boston, NY or Miami so you won't find lines of them waiting for the hourds of people coming off the ship. I would try to book your tour ahead with a taxi company as the other poster did so you know they will be there waiting for you and your group and only your group.

Enjoy as it is a great place to visit.

Thanks for the information. But as I said before it will be kind of hard for me to book something ahead of time since I don't really know what time we'll be able to get a tender to shore.

I think we'll just take our chances in getting something once we are actually on shore.

Thanks again for all the help.

llnnp-what time did you arrive on shore from the tender? We've heard stories of not being able to get off until after lunch because of the tenders being full of folks having ship's tours.

I have been to Bar Harbor a few times on land vacations. I have always made use of the free Island Explorer bus service. There is frequent service on 8 routes that go to different parts of the island. The village green serves as a hub. These are not guided tours but there is service to places such as Sand Beach, Jordan Pond, Seal Harbor, Bubble Rock/Pond, Southwest Harbor, the College of the Atlantic museum, and several other locations within Acadia.

http://www.exploreacadia.com

We were on the Maasdam. Like Princess they tell you to get tender tickets when you are ready to go ashore. We got ours about 40 min. prior to the time I told Clare we would aim for.

They generally call your number as they have room in the tenders once they have loaded a ship tour.

We only waited for about 10 minutes and then were told to go. So we were ashore around the time I had discussed with Clare. Clare told me at the time of booking not to worry. They would be waiting whenever we arrived.

Archived