Violent tourist robbery

JD75

4 punks set upon a fanny-pack toting tourist with an axe :eek:

A tourist was slashed with an axe in a robbery involving four men.

Police have described the incident as "peculiar" and are appealing for witnesses. The man – a passenger on the Norwegian Dawn cruise ship, suffered several cuts to the chin, head and chest in the attack, which happened as he stopped for a cigarette while out driving his rental scooter.

Detectives are currently trying to pinpoint the exact location of the robbery, which took place on the North Shore in the vicinity of Terceira's gas station, Roberts Avenue and Palmetto Road, Devonshire.

Due to the man's lack of local knowledge, they are also appealing for witnesses - in particular the dreadlocked driver of a red car who is thought to have seen the attack.

The robbery took place at around 9.30 p.m. on Tuesday as the tourist made his way towards Hamilton. The 46-year-old, from Massachusetts, said a black male approached him, aged 18-20, with a "long narrow 'droopy' face". After offering him a cigarette, the man left but returned a few minutes later with three other men.

A Bermuda Police Service spokesman said: "The subject that initially approached him then attempted to take a pouch from around his waist. At this point a struggle ensued, during which the victim was struck about the head on numerous occasions with a bladed article.

"He received several two inch lacerations about his head and abdomen. In addition, he also received a four to five inch laceration to the left side of his chin."

full story

http://www.royalgazette.com/siftology.royalgazette/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7d878b730030001&sectionId=60

The Dawn was in Canada this week not Bermuda. The paper must have made a mistake and it must have been another ship. Still, it's too bad this had happened. Everyone needs to be careful every where they go and should also be with another person instead of being alone.

I would imagine that the passenger was from the Dream since he is from Massachusetts and that ship sails from Boston, it was in port on Tuesday, and it's another "D" named ship.

Kind of scary. But I always have to remember when hearing stories like this about how much crime takes place in my own city and I feel perfectly safe walking around.

Another good reason not to rent the scooters in Bermuda and to quit smoking. It sounds a little fishy, may well involve "funny" cigarettes.

Renting scooters has nothing to do with this...could've happened at a bus stop or outside The Reefs

When I read that it was a 46 yr old man on vacation with his wife and kids and that he was wearing a fanny pack the first thing I thought was he was trying to score drugs too.. (insert sarcasm here)

nice work Columbo

Another good reason not to rent the scooters in Bermuda and to quit smoking. It sounds a little fishy, may well involve "funny" cigarettes.

I don't see any smiley faces indicating a joke. Those cuts don't sound funny. Let's not demonize the victim here.

Archived