Am a idiot

dmc1025

Our voyage does not include Anchorage, (the ulu factory store), and I wonder where the best place to purchase one would be?

We are on the X repo 14 day cruise stopping at: (in Alaska) Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan.

The ulu sets sound like a good gift to purchase, and I probably would buy several and have them shipped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulu

Since I don't plan to be skinning any animals or building an igloo, I will probably pass this up :)

I don't know the scoop, but did see the post titles that suggested that Ulus are NOT allowed on the cruse ship. Maybe someone here can fill you in.

If you really want one, the same shops everyone are mentioning are on the internet. To be assured the quality, maybe order and have it shipped to you.

Our voyage does not include Anchorage, (the ulu factory store), and I wonder where the best place to purchase one would be?

We are on the X repo 14 day cruise stopping at: (in Alaska) Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan.

The ulu sets sound like a good gift to purchase, and I probably would buy several and have them shipped.

My experience after 3 cruises to Alaska...Ketchikan's Tongass stores offers the Ulu Factory knife sets (knife with block/bowl) cheaper than the Anchorage factory itself does. Last year the coupon book offered upon embarkation also had shipping offered from the Tongass stores for around $8 with coupon. I took full advantage, purchasing several sets (wedding/shower gifts!) and let them handle the shipping.

http://www.tongasstrading.com/content.aspx?projectId=0&page=aboutus&pageTitle=About%20Tongass%20Trading%20Co.

I personally wouldn't bother with anything less than the Ulu Factory sets. The cheap made in China ulu's are poorly made and not really worth shipping or lugging around. However, there are some very nice handmade ulu's. Handles of Alaskan birch, antler, bone, numerous fossils.

This company has some beautiful ulu's, and I've seen them offered in a variety of places.

http://alaskanulu.com/?gclid=CPq9krXYyZQCFR0nEAodtWQflw

I don't skin anything, either:) ... but I sure do like my ulu(s!) for kitchen tasks, from cutting pizza to chopping nuts, fruits, and veggies.

I don't know the scoop, but did see the post titles that suggested that Ulus are NOT allowed on the cruse ship. Maybe someone here can fill you in.

We had no problem bringing an Ulu onboard after purchasing it in a port. Heck, they even sell them onboard ship in the gift shops (although we found they're less expensive in the ports).

Ok I know this is going to make me sound like an idiot but what is an ulu?

something tourists buy.

like the red dog saloon.

they are not indiginous to southeast.

30 years and i've only seen them used in a historical film about the inupiat.

something tourists buy.

like the red dog saloon.

they are not indiginous to southeast.

30 years and i've only seen them used in a historical film about the inupiat.

Ulu's may not be original to the native culture in your location of the state, but that does not make them any less indiginous to the land we now call Alaska. Last I knew Inupiat were part of the native peoples of the state, and ancient ulu's have been recovered from the permafrost in the northern part of Alaska.

Kinda like totem poles. Didn't see 'em up north, but that doesn't make them any less a part of Alaska as a whole.

And hardly comparable to the Red Dog Saloon, I'd say!

Quality Alaskan-made ulu's are likely one of the least 'touristy' and junky items sold as souvenirs from Alaska, and mine is one of the most useful kitchen items I own.

Perhaps you should try one rather than disdain them. They are quite handy.:)

Ulu's may not be original to the native culture in your location of the state, but that does not make them any less indiginous to the land we now call Alaska. Last I knew Inupiat were part of the native peoples of the state, and ancient ulu's have been recovered from the permafrost in the northern part of Alaska.

Kinda like totem poles. Didn't see 'em up north, but that doesn't make them any less a part of Alaska as a whole.

And hardly comparable to the Red Dog Saloon, I'd say!

Quality Alaskan-made ulu's are likely one of the least 'touristy' and junky items sold as souvenirs from Alaska, and mine is one of the most useful kitchen items I own.

Perhaps you should try one rather than disdain them. They are quite handy.:)

wow, you're pretty good with that underline, italisize, exclamation mark, emoticon stuff. i'm still working on the capital letters thing. and spelling.

"the land we now call alaska"? i'm just going to let that one ride. but i'm still going to giggle.

i have books/prints by rie munoz, byron birdsall, and even ray troll that remind me of why i live in the great land. their works are beyond being gimmicky and mass produced.

visit the wm. spears gallery in junuea or online for some really nice enamel/cloisonné pins and pulls.

my santoku knives will give an ulu a smack down any day of the week. and asia is very much a part of alaskan culture/history.

7760B-Whales-Tailsm1.jpg

For centuries the ULU (pronounced oo'loo) knife has played an important part in the survival of Arctic native people. Around 2500-1900 B.C. the ULU made its present day appearance. Blades were made of polished slate and given a bone handle. It's primary purpose was for skinning and cleaning fish and sea mammals. As time progressed, Eskimos began decorating their ULU's by carving animals or scenes of native life on the bone or ivory handles. Today, Eskimos maintain the original ULU design, but have adopted new materials such as stainless steel. Ancient ULU's have become valued collector's items. The utility of this tool has withstood the test of time and proven itself among the Alaskan & Canadian northern people.

The ULU performs culinary cutting jobs with ease. It slices and dices vegetables; carves meat; cuts cheese, noodles and pizza; and chops nuts. Use it as a steak knife or keep one in your tackle box for cleaning, filleting and skinning fish. Its versatility will enable you to create your own useful cutting tasks. You will soon discover why it is called the prehistoric knife and food processor.

Ulu knives make great souveniers or gifts. Like others have said, we saw a lot of "chulus" (my word for a Chinese ulu). They are less than $10. The Alaskan-made ones are $12-$30 depending on size and accessories like a chopping block and instructional DVD. They have a wood handle like conventional kitchen knives. There are pricier ones that use bone, antler, etc in the $50-$200 range and are more decorative than practical.

The best selection and variety of ulus that we saw were at the weekend market in Anchorage, and the Alaska Knife Factory in Juneau.

By the way, be sure to put the ulu in your checked bags for the flight home, NOT in your carry-on! Security at Anchorage airport shows an ulu on their poster of prohibited items so it must happen a lot. Also check your cruise line....we took our ulus onto our Holland America ship no questions asked (they sell them on board too). But the Ulu Factory store in ANC had signs saying that Carnival will confiscate ulus and will not return them! Other lines will hold your ulu and return it at the end of the cruise.

. Also check your cruise line....we took our ulus onto our Holland America ship no questions asked (they sell them on board too). But the Ulu Factory store in ANC had signs saying that Carnival will confiscate ulus and will not return them! Other lines will hold your ulu and return it at the end of the cruise.

I saw the same sign at the Ulu factory store. Apparently, in the past Carnival had prohibited bringing them on the ship. This is no longer the case, however. I bought several and brought them back on to the ship during my cruise a couple of weeks ago. I had asked before departing and was told there would be no problem bringing them back. I didn't think there would be since they are also now sold at the ship's gift shop!

You will find them readily available in all of the ports you have listed, they are kind of the gift of choice.

Archived