Open Air Markets - St. Thomas and St. Maarten

All,

We are headed to the Eastern Caribbean on the Mariner next month. We have two kids (6 and 4), so we aren't doing much in the area of excursions. We will be doing some beach things, though. Anyway, my wife would like to know if there are any open-air markets (not shopping centers) near the docks at St. Thomas and St. Maarten. She knows about the shopping center right at the dock at St. Thomas, but she is looking for more of the "local" feel.

Thanks in advance!

Yes there are in St. Thomas. They are within walking distance. After disembarking from the ship take a Left and follow the road around the bay and you will run into them. At least that is where they were when I was there about 5 years ago!! You can get some good bargains there. :D

I am not aware of any open air markets in Phillipsburg, St. Martin. But many of the shops that line the "alleyways" that run between the board walk and Front street display many of their wares outside in front of the shops. I would not be comfortable walking to the open air markets in St. Thomas with a 4 and 6 year old. The traffic is horrendous.

I would not walk to the market in St. Thomas. It is a good distance in the heat. There are little buses that you can get at the ship for $4 or 6$ pp and it lets you off right at the outdoor market. It is walkable but bear in mind there is a lot of traffic and it's generally very warm.

The market sells all kinds of caribbean clothing, jewelry, purses, and trinkets. Fairly popular.

I have never seen an a market of that type in St. Maarten, BUT lots of shopping in town.

Little open air market is still in St.Thomas. It is a good walk from ship. Great deals on designer purses too. A few shops in same area and bank if needed. I'd take the taxi or bus myself.

St Maarten- no open air markets but the locals are fornd all pver outside their "homes" selling spices, tees etc. Shop in town. Best deals we got were the shops across from Guava factory-Rhinnas I think is the name. Great jewelery prices there too.

Enjoy:)

There is an open air market in St. Martin, it's just a little tricky to find.. after you take a cab or water taxi from the pier it's about 2 blocks back from the water taxi dock...it's like a flea market area....

Good Evening,

The open air type flea markets in St. Maarten that we went to were on the French side. We stopped there via our tour. Everyone was selling similar items and the prices were both in $ & Euros, & in my opinion everything was expensive. Shopping in town also gives you many choices. I'd take the water taxi that is near where the cruise ships docks. I think it's $5 pp round trip. You get a plastic bracelet so they know you bought a round trip ticket.

There are many shopping options right where most of the cruise ships dock in St. Thomas so there is no need to go into town and pay for a taxi. A local supermarket is nearby if you need to replace anything.

Have a Great trip.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

We've shopped at an open air market in the town of Marigot on the french side of St Martin. It's next to a marina and there is a great little french patisserie just a short walk from there. Marigot is about a 10 minute drive from the pier. We always rent a car, drive to Orient beach. We spend a few hours there, then head to Marigot for lunch and shopping.

The last time we were in St. Thomas, the open air market was very near Main Street. If you are docked by Havensight, it is a fairly long walk in the heat. If you take a taxi or shuttle over to Main Street, you can walk to the market very easily. In fact, if you tell the driver that's where you want to go, you probably can be dropped off there.

At St. Thomas, take the lift to Paradise Point which is across the street from the dock. They have a nice little open market up there and a small restaurant with outdoor balcony-type seating. Best views of the island...and the lift is very, very nice. The kids would enjoy it.

The store in St Maarteen is Rimas, couple of blocks from Front Street; they supply most of the other flea market vendors so you should find the best prices there. They are not open Sunday.

Marigot on the French side is not 10 minutes from the pier, even if you try this at 2 AM in low season when there is no traffic. Figure on a minumum of 30 minutes from the pier if you try it after local AM rush, say after 9:30. Coming back in the afternoon, allow a minimum of 60 minutes from Marigot to the pier unless you want to be one of the runners that the balcony club members are yelling at "Go Go Go":D Loads of afternoon traffic, but you avoid the Simpson Bay drawbridge.

St Thomas, don't attempt the walk to the flea market, use the taxis.

I agree with everyone else, don't try to walk to the market in St Thomas. We did walk and it was scorching hot and longer than you think! We just went last year and the market is off of the main road, you can't miss it! We grabbed an open air bus back and it was much better!

Archived