Snorkeling in Maui

VOLEYMOM

We will be on the Infinity to Hawaii in Nov. and I was hoping that someone had done the tour from the ship to Lanai. Just wondering how many people on this tour. We hate the large group tours and would love to find a small boat that takes only 8 - 10 people on it for the same trip. Any info would be appreciated. I will post this on Ports-Hawaii also. Thanks again

Hi,

It all depends on how long you are in Maui. There are smaller more private tours you can get that go to Lanai. These boats leave from the pier at Lahaina. Just do a search on the internet and you should be able to come up with some.

We sailed the Infinity to Hawaii in March 2001 and took the Lanai Wild Dolphin and Snorkel Adventure shore excursion. I don't recall how many people were on the boat - surely more than 8-10, but probably not more than 50. I must say that this shore excursion was probably the most exciting experience I have ever had.

I thought the snorkelling was very good, especially since the Pacific Whale Foundation's guide was very helpful at pointing out things and explaining them. Lunch, from what I recall was good, and going to the bay with hundreds of dolphins jumping out of the water was unreal. The best part was when three humpback whales were chasing each other around our boat on the way back - they were close enough to touch. However, that was in March, during the height of whale season.

I thought the excursion was fabulous and would highly recommend it, even if the whales aren't quite in season yet.

If you are just looking for somewhere really great to snorkel in Maui, I would recommend Black Rock, at the Sheraton Black Rock on Kaanapali Beach. It's maybe about 15 minutes from Lahaina. You will need to rent snorkelling equipment, but you can snorkel right from shore all along a large rock wall. I thought the snorkelling there was the best I've ever seen. A day trip to Molokini is also worthwhile; however, when we went there, it was rather choppy and I was a little nervous being so far from the boat. I thought the visibility in Maui was great.

In any case, enjoy your Hawaiian cruise - mine was one of my fondest memories.

Brenda J.

Archived