Door Decorations?

Juligan

Here is the door sign I made for our upcoming cruise (10 people/5 rooms). Its the same for all the rooms...my kids are in a room alone (next door) and I don't like the idea of singling people out...I'm a nervous Nelly!

Tell me what ya think!

barnesfam.jpg?t=1219781031

I LOVE this sign! Is this done thru a computer program & printed on 8.5 x 11 paper? Prob. easier to travel with then if if I make posterboards. How do you get on there all the little post-its with info, colored background, fish, etc. Would like to make this for our group of 13 people/5 rooms - 2 couples + 9 college aged "kids" : o

I can't believe someone had been on 8 cruises and had never noticed a decorated door. They must have not walked down many passenger decks. :confused:

On our last Spirit B2B on the first week someone down our hall had a very festive group of decorations. We were horrified on the turn around day to see the decorations gone and door covered with double sided foam tape. This is the same tape that was used in the old days to hold wheel weights to mag style wheels. It's considered perminante. Our stewart was dutifully trying to get it off. I asked if the morons who done will be charged for the damage. He just shrugged and said no. Duct tape will also leave residue on the door. :mad:

Please be considerate and use the blue painters tape or magnets.

I can't believe someone had been on 8 cruises and had never noticed a decorated door. They must have not walked down many passenger decks. :confused:

On our last Spirit B2B on the first week someone down our hall had a very festive group of decorations. We were horrified on the turn around day to see the decorations gone and door covered with double sided foam tape. This is the same tape that was used in the old days to hold wheel weights to mag style wheels. It's considered perminante. Our stewart was dutifully trying to get it off. I asked if the morons who done will be charged for the damage. He just shrugged and said no. Duct tape will also leave residue on the door. :mad:

Please be considerate and use the blue painters tape or magnets.

Or you can use Poster Putty or a myriad of other products that is removable and the label says "Safe for surfaces" or "Removeable".

I've only sailed with Carnival one time, but we DID decorate our door (well my mother's door). I did not see any other decorated doors on our floor. I wanted to go and see other floors to maybe get some fun ideas, however never made it! Guess I'll have to book a cruise again!!! We used the blue 3M painters tape. It held up the WHOLE time, no touch ups needed and it came down super easy and it left NO mess for Carnival.

This is a great one really cute - just showed this to my 10 year old and she wants to make it for her Nannies door - will be turning 70 on our cruise, hope you don't mind us stealing your idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody else? I have a cruise coming up in November & I've just loved getting all the ideas on this thread. They're GREAT! Thank you Juligan for starting this thread

OK... well, I'll post what I did.

I am leaving tomorrow for our cruise. I made a scrapbook page for every day of our cruise. After we come home, I am going to make a scrapbook of our cruise, and these pages will be placed in the scrapbook. So having said that, here are my door pages:

Cruise9-13-08002.jpg

Cruise9-13-08003.jpg

Cruise9-13-08004.jpg

Cruise9-13-08005.jpg

Cruise9-13-08006.jpg

Cruise9-13-08007.jpg

Goose861, I went to the party store and got gold mylar decorations for our friends' door (50th anniv). They are long strips that spiral when you hang them up, with 50 at the bottom. For us, I got bright multicolored garlands. No special decorations for 31 years! And I made signs on PowerPoint.

valacy1 - WOW - those are great!! I wish I was that creative. We are in the process of making one for my hubbies parents room, it will be the mother in laws 70th birthday, doesn't compare to yours but we are having fun making it.

Have a great trip!! :)

Oh, thanks... I'm a bit OCD. LOL.

Seriously though, ANYONE can do this. Use mine as a model. I am a former stamping artist and missed all the goodies I used to have in my crafting arsenal, but all I did was go to Michael's and bought cruise-related stickers, one pack of tropical looking cardstock (there were like 25 sheets or some big "value pack") 2 markers.

Some of the fonts, I just searched for "free downloadable fonts" and got a couple. Printed 'em out on white cardstock (in color of my choice on my color printer) and then cut 'em out. No big secrets or tricks.

I did 4 in an afternoon, so that proves it wasn't a huge time-taker. For anyone thinking it's intimidating, give ONE a try. Just a 12x12 piece of cardstock. Cruise or tropical stickers, hand lettering, and you're set.

Heck, most of the space is open anyway so people can scribble on it and say hello. I'll put pictures of those particular days on those pages as part of my scrapbook.

It's way fun! I hope those of you who feel it is intimidating really give it a try, have fun with it, and don't over criticize your work! EVERYONE loves everyone else's work!!!

I hope you have better luck than we did. We had three cabins on the Liberty in June/July for a B2B Eastern and Western Caribbean cruise. I decorated each door with foam parrot heads. Within two nights, the parrot on my children's door was gone completely, and mine had it's face ripped off. Our friends down the hall were unscathed, although the lei necklace on the parrot was stolen immediately.

I was disappointed but figured maybe it was a fluke.

Week 2 began and we changed cabins (ours weren't available two weeks in a row). Again, I put up our parrot heads (I had brought two more for the second week). Again, within two days, although this time I surrounded the entire base with packing tape, the kids parrot was ripped completely off their door, and the face of mine was ripped off.

I was upset that there were this kind of people roaming the halls...but I decided to make the best of it. I put up post-it notes around my ravaged parrot face and a pen in the mailbox and a note asking for condolence notes. The pen was stolen within 30 minutes.

BUT our room stewards wrote funny notes which I kept and are now in my scrapbook along with a picture of the remains of Mr. Parrot Head.

I don't think I'll do door decorations again. It's just upsetting when people vandalize them.

I don't think I'll do door decorations again. It's just upsetting when people vandalize them.

I have thought about that same thing. I love the idea of the condolensces notes. Perhaps because mine aren't "characters" or things that people would want in a partying situation, maybe they'll leave them alone. Fingers crossed.

It'll be what it'll be I guess. :)

Yeah...now that you mention it, I can see goofball idiots thinking thats funny to mess with a door sign. We've never had that happen, but now-a-days, nothing surprises me. Glad you found your silver lining & made the best of it.

We decorate our door EVERY time we go, as well as "surprise" others in our group. They go to sailaway and come back to their cabin... seeing the door wildly decorated. We even got "caught" one time trying to surreptiously decorate a door. What we didn't know.. was they were IN the cabin.. they opened the door.. we ran.. security came, took one look, shook his head and said.. "I'm not going there" and walked in the other direction.

It is SO much fun. Please don't worry about what others do/don't do.. ENJOY YOURSELVES!

Here's one example.. (AND THIS WAS THE END OF THE CRUISE) putty works well!

866030481_halloweendoor.jpg.51f6c9ed285cbef985666d79940ce302.jpg

We were on the Valor last year and it was BF's "50-something Birthday." When he wasn't looking, I decorated the door with the Birthday decorations I had brought with me (from Dollar Tree-my favorite store). You can pay Carnival beforehand, but it's a LOT more expensive. I didn't even realize at the time that people decorated their doors.

So, now I'm working on my very first door poster for our cruise on the Elation on Oct. 13. Anyone on this cruise, please stop by and leave a message! Great sailing!

"Sonya and Ron"

Fort Myers, Florida

Everybody has some great doors!

OK... well, I'll post what I did.

I am leaving tomorrow for our cruise. I made a scrapbook page for every day of our cruise. After we come home, I am going to make a scrapbook of our cruise, and these pages will be placed in the scrapbook.

Debra, I really enjoyed your examples. I'm off to find scrapbooking material this weekend.

We use light blue roll of gift wrap paper. It covers the whole door and I duct tape it on the inside ( top and bottom).

Ginny, thanks for the ideas. I bought a roll of blue gift wrap paper today. Our cruise is on Thanksgiving, too, and I'm planning on getting some dollar store 3D turkeys for the door.