Termination Dust in July...the end of summer in Alaska?

kk-l

If I lived in a cold climate, like the Alaskans this summer and the Minnesota poster, I'd be a falling down drunk in no time. Someone tell me, quick, can I buy warming red wine or brandy anywhere around the dock for the cruise ship in Seattle (Terminal 30) Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan? I know I can buy it on the ship, but.......$$$$$. I know some of those wines, and they are so much cheaper than the extravagant charges onboard. I'm not being cheap, exactly; just refuse to be robbed blind. I want to sit on my verandah, drink hot brandy and tea, and watch the Glaciers, wrapped up in my parka. Sounds like a plan......:cool:

Being a "Kathleen", born on St. Patrick's Day, with grandparents with the surname of "Daugherty" I just have to respond to Saintpat.

St. Pat. - go over to the "West Coast Departures" section of Cruise Critic (vs. Alaska) and ask that question. "Seattlecruiselover" or anyone else will definitely have the answer to your question. I have seen it asked MANY...MANY...MANY times on that board. I think the "stops" in the Alaskan ports are just steps away from the ship.

Having said that...we know the predisposition of the "Irish"...how many hot toddies do we need? :D

Someone tell me, quick, can I buy warming red wine or brandy anywhere around the dock for the cruise ship in Seattle (Terminal 30)

Yes, we picked up some liquor and wine at a shop near Pike Place Market - there were several of them.

It is -4 C (25 degrees F) here right now. That should remove any doubt about whether it's still summer!

Well, that news does make one pause. I wonder if the summer of 2008 will indeed go down in the record books?

We're all rethinking our strategy down here in the lower 48...I'm thinking Eskimo gear. Back to the weather sites to see what's happening around the Great Land. Bundle up everyone. Thanks for the "heads up" Murray.

Well, that news does make one pause. I wonder if the summer of 2008 will indeed go down in the record books?

We're all rethinking our strategy down here in the lower 48...I'm thinking Eskimo gear. Back to the weather sites to see what's happening around the Great Land. Bundle up everyone. Thanks for the "heads up" Murray.

kathy, get out the magic 8-ball. last week was clear, sunny, and 'hot'. now, overcast but not raining.

http://kfsk.org/modules/webcam/

come'on seven eleven, daddy needs a new pair of xtratuf's.

Being a "Kathleen", born on St. Patrick's Day, with grandparents with the surname of "Daugherty" I just have to respond to Saintpat.

St. Pat. - go over to the "West Coast Departures" section of Cruise Critic (vs. Alaska) and ask that question. "Seattlecruiselover" or anyone else will definitely have the answer to your question. I have seen it asked MANY...MANY...MANY times on that board. I think the "stops" in the Alaskan ports are just steps away from the ship.

Having said that...we know the predisposition of the "Irish"...how many hot toddies do we need? :D

KK, thanks for the tip! I have an embroidered sampler someone gave me that says, " Add more wine." That's me! 4 Hot Toddies are what I call group therapy. An Irish friend calls them "Local Anesthetic." I shall sip hot tea with brandy or hot red wine (gluwein) on my verandah until I'm warm! Learned this "method" in Germany, living in the Alp foothills and trying to ski and keep warm at the same time. People also used to drink hot buttered rum, but that's nasty. But that gluwein does the job!

I just have to tell you that I, "patricia smith" was also born on St. Patrick's Day! I live in St. Louis County, volunteer at St. Patrick's Center, lived on St. Andrews, and so I chose saintpat for my url. My Mom swore that she intended to name me Sophia Sonja after two friends, but the nuns in the hospital filled in "Patricia" or "Patrick" automatically for every baby born that day. I just discovered last year that I also have many Irish ancestors. No one in our family ever knew that, but our DNA genome tests showed it. My Irish friend says that everyone is Irish, if they look back far enough! And she was right. Proud to be Irish, also Seminole Indian, German, and English -- a real American mix. Interestingly, my son Steve is a total Celt: studies the old mysteries, found a clan, is a complete mystic, is mad at the British, and drinks ale made only in Ireland. My rebellious and fighting spirit, I know, is a gift of Ireland. As my husband says, "Don't make her mad."

I need my vacation, and am even willing to freeze to have it. Alaska has been calling me for a long time; this is the year. "Pat":D

It is -4 C (25 degrees F) here right now. That should remove any doubt about whether it's still summer!

Okay Thanks for that Yukon.

You put the temperature in celsius as well , that helps us in the other parts of the world (namely Australia - Hervey Bay) who will be travelling to your beautiful country. We are cruising out 19th September and after what you wrote I'm going out and buying some warmer thermal wear.(LOL). I see on our website here that they have different grades of thermal wear maybe I should go for the Grade 5 thermal wear. I have the light stuff at the moment. I am trying to comprehend what the weather will be like but we are in our winter now and our winter days have been 18 - 25 degrees in the day and just last night for the first time got down to 1 degree and we were huddled over a fire saying how cold it is. Should be quite the interesting time for us in September. Still can't wait !!!!!!

Christine

St. Pat -Glad to find another St. Patrick's Day birthday girl. Funny story on how you got your name...good thing not all of us were born at a Catholic hospital or there would be thousands of "Pats".

Hope you find the liquor store(s) close to Pier 30 in Seattle. I don't know which day(s) you'll be there but I found it interesting that WA apparently has blue laws and the state liquor stores are closed on Sundays. Will have to ask about that when I'm there.

I'll have to try that "gluwein"...sounds like it may take the edge off the chill. Enjoy Alaska from your veranda!

Bon voyage from a fellow St. Patrick's Day birthday girl!

Since I've "hijacked" this thread already...hey, my thread...I'm entitled...

bottom-dragger: Looking forward to Petersburg on Saturday. I've been reading about Heidi Lee and her Leikarring dancers, that should be fun. Great little guide to Petersburg by the C of C...lots of interesting info. I've also learned of "Petersburg Sneakers"...now I'm torn...decisions...decisions. :confused: Both are appropriate for weddings and funerals.

Hope you have a moment to say "hello". We'll be there sometime in the morning...you probably know better than I do what time.

On Sunday we went 4x4ing up the mountain where the Skagway Jeep tours go (but went many miles past where they turn around). We got stopped by snow (!) that should have melted away weeks ago (and that clearly won't melt at all this "summer"). You can see a little slideshow of the day at http://www.explorenorth.com/wordpress/ - snow and flowers and old mines.... :)

Murray

Hey Murray, thanks for the slideshow. Great pictures. It seems that on an earlier thread someone said the fireweed was already gone, but there was a picture of blooming fireweed that had not turned cottony. Can you explain?

Hey Murray, thanks for the slideshow. Great pictures. It seems that on an earlier thread someone said the fireweed was already gone, but there was a picture of blooming fireweed that had not turned cottony. Can you explain?

The fireweed is still in full bloom everywhere I've been recently, and that includes high altitude (that was dwarf fireweed in the photo, though). The frosts we've had the past few days will change that very soon, though..

Seen fireweed here in town that's halfway gone already. All I could think is, not too fast. Superstition is once the fireweed is completely bloomed and gone to seed, that the snow is soon to follow. I swear with how bad our summer has been, I won't be surprised if we get our first snowfall that stays in September (it's usually around Columbus Day, when we get a sufficient amount that's here for the winter).

Susan in Anchorage :)

That's why I try to plan my Alaska trips to make sure I'm there on Columbus Day. I love the beginning of winter now that I'm living in Texas in this terrible heat!

I also like to be there to try to support a particular family member who has troubles with seasonal depression.

She hates it when the fireweed is going and then gone.

I think the superstition is winter comes 6 weeks after the fireweed goes to cotton.

I saw a trumpeter swan on Moose Lake here in Juneau, and I could swear that the swans only stop here during their migrations--saw them this spring too--so I fear that's a bad sign for an early winter too.

I think the superstition is winter comes 6 weeks after the fireweed goes to cotton.

I saw a trumpeter swan on Moose Lake here in Juneau, and I could swear that the swans only stop here during their migrations--saw them this spring too--so I fear that's a bad sign for an early winter too.

Dang geese were practicing their "V" yesterday. Needed some work. Got to get those young ones all trained good, so they can leave.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived