PVP vs TA

Juligan

Come on people it's 2008. The internet and cruise blogs like this can provide you with more information then TA's in the business for 10+ years or actual Carnival cruise line employees. How much faith can you put in a TA that has perhaps never been on a cruise and sells cruises, car rentals, resort vacations, airline tix, etc etc. Better yet, there isn't much to say for PVP's who just started towing the company line a few weeks ago and know nothing more then what pops up on the screen in front of them. Some cruise lines today won't even allow TA's to reduce their commissions back to agents (which they can control because cruise lines don't pay until after the customer sails generally). Frankly, a PVP who doesn't hold any financial stake in selling me the most expensive option and I once booked I can ultimately speak with any PVP at Carnival seems like the lesser of 2 evils.

I hope you get my drift....take the time to do a little research on your own and you'll have the best vacation possible.

In the last month, I booked a 3 night Carnival cruise out of Long Beach and a 7 night Princess out of NYC. Both times I got prices directly from the cruiseline website as well as the website where they compete to get you the best price. Both times the internet based TA price was about 15% less. I have found this to be true in the last 6 cruises I've been on. Like Cruisegoer said, pretty much everything you would want to know can be found on the internet. I'm all about saving a buck so why pay more for the same thing? That's my opinion.

Jay

I have booked the past three cruises through one particular cruise website. I did my research utilizing other websites and the cruiselines' websites. I found this particulart website to be at 10 - 15% cheaper and include onboard credit and paid insurance. If I have general questions regarding the cruise I either contact the website that I booked the cruise on or the cruise line itself. Last night I called Carnival itself to ask what my young son's Past Passenger Number was.

Did you notice how that article appeared on a website geared towards Travel Agents and the comments were made directly to the Travel Agency community? The article was designed to boost confidence of those TA's thinking that Carnival was "stealing" their business.

It was the web site for a travel industry magazine. Where else would you find news on the travel industry? Even if a booking is made on the web site, there is still some human involvement but very little. When you add in salary, company paid taxes, benefits and overhead, the lines are realizing that it saves them money by having travel agents sell their products.

It was the web site for a travel industry magazine. Where else would you find news on the travel industry? Even if a booking is made on the web site, there is still some human involvement but very little. When you add in salary, company paid taxes, benefits and overhead, the lines are realizing that it saves them money by having travel agents sell their products.

Carnival's out of pocket expense of an internet transaction from their own website is 50 cents. (That's a lot less than 15% of the cruise fare)

The "human involvement" (like the documents department, customer/agent support, etc) applies to bookings made online, or through a TA, so realistically tell me what is more cost effective to them.

Carnival's out of pocket expense of an internet transaction from their own website is 50 cents. (That's a lot less than 15% of the cruise fare)

The "human involvement" (like the documents department, customer/agent support, etc) applies to bookings made online, or through a TA, so realistically tell me what is more cost effective to them.

There is still human oversight for on line bookings as well as the entire department that runs on line bookings. People still call and ask questions about bookings they made on the internet. I would love to hear where your expense of 50 cents comes from.

The is no way that every cruise booking will be made on line. It will never happen. Approximately 85% of all Carnival reservations come from travel agents and they know that it is a more cost effective way for them to sell cruises. There just happens to be those people out there that are control freaks and want to make all their own plans. I have dealt with those people who call me when they run into problems and want to know if I can help them.

I would love to hear where your expense of 50 cents comes from.

It's not rocket science. Ask directly.

As a good TA, it pays off to be informed. Call Carnival. Tell them who you are. Schedule a visit to headquarters. Attend any of the industry fairs where you know that the VP of sales and marketing will be in attendance. Ask them directly what's more cost efficient and what the actual cost is. It's not a secret.

The difference between a great TA and the rest is the level of expertise. The same applies to PVP's. Usually the TA or PVP that's a pleasure to work with is the one that goes out of their way to stay informed and educated on the product they're selling, and then pass on that knowledge to their customers in the form of great customer service.

Continue providing the same excellent customer service and expertise to your customers. They will keep coming back to you...

As a good TA, it pays off to be informed. Call Carnival. Tell them who you are. Schedule a visit to headquarters. Attend any of the industry fairs where you know that the VP of sales and marketing will be in attendance. Ask them directly what's more cost efficient and what the actual cost is. It's not a secret.

Continue providing the same excellent customer service and expertise to your customers. They will keep coming back to you...

Actually, I have been to CCL's headquarters more than once with the privilege of having lunch with the former regime (Bob, Vickie, Maurice) and visiting in Bob's office. Even though they pushed for the current PVP's, they did say that they knew that they would never have 100% of sales through the TA distribution channel. The new management is changing things up and getting away from direct sales as much as they can.

Actually, I have been to CCL's headquarters more than once with the privilege of having lunch with the former regime (Bob, Vickie, Maurice) and visiting in Bob's office. Even though they pushed for the current PVP's, they did say that they knew that they would never have 100% of sales through the TA distribution channel. The new management is changing things up and getting away from direct sales as much as they can.

Glad you had the opportunity. You should've asked more questions...

Once again. Different audience, different answers. Ask a PVP or CVS what management told their departments...

I don't think anyone is surprised that as a TA you're going to defend your industry. I see you're trying to argue that direct/online sales won't occur 100% of the time, is anything in this world actually done 100% of the time? Of course not so that is just a ludicrous argument to attempt to make. As far as TA's losing their influence on the travel industry please tell everyone what TA's made from airlines as commissions say 10 years ago and what they make today. From a TA's perspective its barely if at all worth it to sell flights and the reason why, the proliferation and expansion of airlines selling direct via internal reservationists and online sales. Sorry but I personally believe one day this will be the way all travel is handled. We are a global community now, years ago people were afraid to plan for something they knew little about, today with the internet you can easily find all the information needed (as well as reviews of those who have gone before you) and make your own arrangements. Just a sign of the times.

If you're a successful TA good for you. Hopefully you live/ work in a community with a more elderly clientelle who are typically unsure of how to book travel on their own or perhaps upscale enough they just don't want to be bothered and rather pay someone else to do it. I hope for your sake the structuring of commissions in the travel industry as a whole doesn't change to the point you find yourself unable to create a profit.

Ok, I have to add something here....I'm not sure why the TA posts get as heated as the smoking posts. Everyone has a choice on how to book and who to book through. I'm in total agreement with Joe Canino...I have also been an agent for a long time, and visited CCL many times (along with the other cruiselines) and yes, sat in Bob's office too....The cruiselines tried to take the bookings direct, but have found that it is not cost efficient, so again, they are turning back to TA's.

Why is it that people are so angry or bitter towards travel agents. We love our job, and enjoy helping people plan their long earned vacations...what is so bad about that? I don't care if you book direct, there is enough business out there...believe me! Most successful TA's these days have a strong presence on the internet. That is the way to go....however knowledge and customer service are the keys.

Bottom line, book with who you feel comfortable booking with...whether it be the internet, cruiseline directly or TA.

And Tapi, sorry , but some of your comments are just absurd.

Ok, I have to add something here....I'm not sure why the TA posts get as heated as the smoking posts. Everyone has a choice on how to book and who to book through. I'm in total agreement with Joe Canino...I have also been an agent for a long time, and visited CCL many times (along with the other cruiselines) and yes, sat in Bob's office too....(although I'm not sure what Tapi's point was?) The cruiselines tried to take the bookings direct, but have found that it is not cost efficient, so again, they are turning back to TA's.

Why is it that people are so angry or bitter towards travel agents. We love our job, and enjoy helping people plan their long earned vacations...what is so bad about that? I don't care if you book direct, there is enough business out there...believe me! Most successful TA's these days have a strong presence on the internet. That is the way to go....however knowledge and customer service are the keys.

Bottom line, book with who you feel comfortable booking with...whether it be the internet, cruiseline directly or TA.

And Tapi, sorry , but some of your comments are just absurd.

Glad you had the opportunity. You should've asked more questions...

Once again. Different audience, different answers. Ask a PVP or CVS what management told their departments...

Ask any employee what management tells them. I am sure as an airline pilot, your management paints a very rosy picture for you.

I don't think anyone is surprised that as a TA you're going to defend your industry. I see you're trying to argue that direct/online sales won't occur 100% of the time, is anything in this world actually done 100% of the time? Of course not so that is just a ludicrous argument to attempt to make. As far as TA's losing their influence on the travel industry please tell everyone what TA's made from airlines as commissions say 10 years ago and what they make today. From a TA's perspective its barely if at all worth it to sell flights and the reason why, the proliferation and expansion of airlines selling direct via internal reservationists and online sales. Sorry but I personally believe one day this will be the way all travel is handled. We are a global community now, years ago people were afraid to plan for something they knew little about, today with the internet you can easily find all the information needed (as well as reviews of those who have gone before you) and make your own arrangements. Just a sign of the times.

If you're a successful TA good for you. Hopefully you live/ work in a community with a more elderly clientelle who are typically unsure of how to book travel on their own or perhaps upscale enough they just don't want to be bothered and rather pay someone else to do it. I hope for your sake the structuring of commissions in the travel industry as a whole doesn't change to the point you find yourself unable to create a profit.

Yes the airlines cut out the TA's. The airlines brilliance in building, and expanding their business. As well as maximizing their profits for their shareholders is equaled only by the geniuses in Detroit. Either is a perfect example of how NOT to run a business.

Will internet bookings expand? Of course they will. But who will suffer the most TA's or PVP's. My guess, PVP's since they are a daily expense burden while TA's are only an expense AFTER they have actually produced a sale. Prediction: PVP layoffs or non-replacement of attrited PVP's and a cut in TA's commish. One move logical, the other not really smart.

Dan

Ask any employee what management tells them. I am sure as an airline pilot, your management paints a very rosy picture for you.

It is because I've been in the travel industry for so long that I know that management will tell their employees exactly what they want to hear, or sugar coat it so that it's easier to swallow...

Archived