Why Are The Taxes Different?

I've been researching a cruise on the Sun . I'm wondering why

taxes vary so much from one agency to another.If I take the taxes into account some low prices are not so low when you see the total.

When I call to question the difference no agent can really give me a break down on exactly what those taxes are for. It does alter my decision on

whom I'm going to book with.

:confused: It would seem to me that the taxes and gov't fees should be the same with all the agencies you check . . . that doesn't make sense - maybe one of the regular TAs here can shed some light on this. I'd certainly be interested in the reasoning. Maybe checking directly with the cruiseline would help in getting quotes from others as well.

After thinking about this, the taxes could be different if the per person cost is different since taxes are typically a percentage of the cost. As for fees, those are usually a set amount, but they could change after you make a down payment.

Again, this is only my rationale in my feable mind -- maybe a TA can shed some better light on this from a more precise standpoint.

I use a TA and this particular company divides the taxes and fees differently than NCL does. The total price was comparable, however. I had to call myself about the same thing. In fact, I started a thread with the same type question. Hope that helps.

Guest nhrich

Taxes should be the same amount with any agency. Except for Hawaii cruises, which are a percentage, they're a set amount regardless of the cost per person, and they aren't like sales tax, which would vary based on where you live or where the agency is located.

It's possible that some agencies include non-commissionable fares (NCF), fuel charges and agency fees in their "tax" line. If it's a big difference, it's probably the NCF being added in with the taxes.

Do you have examples you can share, with the full breakdowns (without naming agencies, of course)? It might help if we could see exactly what they're doing.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

The government fees can be different if you are booking into a group that the agent had set up before the cruise line increased a government fee. So if you were comparing a rate in individual reservations today vs. a group rate that was set up awhile ago they may be different.

And I agree, some agencies may break down the taxes and fees differently.

Speaking of taxes I have a beef also....

I have 2 rooms booked on the same cruise

Our room is a BA and cost $2995 and taxes were $273

My in-laws' room is a C and cost $2284 and taxes were $355

Make any sence to anyone?

Guest nhrich
Speaking of taxes I have a beef also....

I have 2 rooms booked on the same cruise

Our room is a BA and cost $2995 and taxes were $273

My in-laws' room is a C and cost $2284 and taxes were $355

Make any sence to anyone?

Booked through the same agency at the same time? That sounds very high for just taxes - it sounds like they're lumping all of the additional charges including non-commissionable fare and fuel charges together. If you in-laws booked later on there could have been an increase in the taxes and/or fuel charges.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Booked through the same agency at the same time? That sounds very high for just taxes - it sounds like they're lumping all of the additional charges including non-commissionable fare and fuel charges together. If you in-laws booked later on there could have been an increase in the taxes and/or fuel charges.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

yes, apparently the taxes and other charges were lumped together..It all should come out the same though....

yes, apparently the taxes and other charges were lumped together..It all should come out the same though....

Taxes and government fees were lumped together but not the fuel sup that was separate. I booked both right through NCL, only a month apart.....seems like a lot went up in just a month. :rolleyes:

When dealing with NCL I got different amounts on different days for the same thing, or so I thought, One price included insurance while the other so not, Ask for an itemization.

Fran

Archived