Hurtigruten cruises on Norway's coast

I am looking for people who have been on this cruise. We are going in March! Wonder what it will be like. Bergen to Bergen, 11days round trip. any info on if rough waters ,what the weather will like,anything.:rolleyes:

thanks,Coleridge

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking for people who have been on this cruise. We are going in March! Wonder what it will be like. Bergen to Bergen, 11days round trip. any info on if rough waters ,what the weather will like,anything.

Did this cruise in February this year. Weather was varied from flat calm & quite warm (for that part of the world) to a storm that meant we could not reach Kirkenes and turned around from Honningsvag & headed back to Hammerfest. While it was marginally disappointing that we did not reach Kirkenes, we had a really enjoyable day in Hammerfest that made up for it. (very impressed by the crews' sorting out of travel arrangements for those leaving/joining at Kirkenes with all arrangements made on board to sort it out).

This ship then resumed the southbound schedule at the right time and although it was a storm, the ship was not badly affected. I think it was due to the experience of the captain & crew! (they said they could have proceeded but had to take the comfort of passengers into account)

The food is really good- there maybe only one sitting for dinner in the winter. The wine/water package were good value rather than buying individually. They had a tea/coffee offer too, for between meals but I don't know if it is to be repeated?

Excursions: Didn't take any, we were too interested in walking around the places the ship docked.

There are left luggage lockers in Bergen terminal but the cafe was not open (vending machines were).

Tip: When arriving back in Bergen either take the Hurtigruten bus or book a taxi via Hurtigruten or you might be left standing at the terminal.

Which ship are you sailing on?

• 1 month later...

I am sorry I did not answer your question. I could not get back to where I had asked the question. We are sailing on the Trojian or something like that. Thank you for all the information!

Did this cruise in February this year. Weather was varied from flat calm & quite warm (for that part of the world) to a storm that meant we could not reach Kirkenes and turned around from Honningsvag & headed back to Hammerfest. While it was marginally disappointing that we did not reach Kirkenes, we had a really enjoyable day in Hammerfest that made up for it. (very impressed by the crews' sorting out of travel arrangements for those leaving/joining at Kirkenes with all arrangements made on board to sort it out).

This ship then resumed the southbound schedule at the right time and although it was a storm, the ship was not badly affected. I think it was due to the experience of the captain & crew! (they said they could have proceeded but had to take the comfort of passengers into account)

The food is really good- there maybe only one sitting for dinner in the winter. The wine/water package were good value rather than buying individually. They had a tea/coffee offer too, for between meals but I don't know if it is to be repeated?

Excursions: Didn't take any, we were too interested in walking around the places the ship docked.

There are left luggage lockers in Bergen terminal but the cafe was not open (vending machines were).

Tip: When arriving back in Bergen either take the Hurtigruten bus or book a taxi via Hurtigruten or you might be left standing at the terminal.

Which ship are you sailing on?

Which ship would you recommend?

Sorry- missed your question.

We sailed on the Nordlys and intend doing so again.

The ship you choose depends a lot on what size of ship/passenger capacity you want ( I'm not so sure that the 2 older vessels have stabilisers ). Some of the ships offer occasional theme cruises too and I confess that, personally, I'm inclined to avoid these cruises because I'm there to see Norway/Norwegian way of life.

Trollfjord? Nordstjernen?

Yes, you are right. We are going on the Trolfijord and just want to know if others have used Vantage World Travel for this type of cruise or any thing else for that matter . we have heard some negative feedback and are worried since this is a very expensive trip for us.

Thanks for any info. coleridge

just want to know if others have used Vantage World Travel for this type of cruise or any thing else for that matter . we have heard some negative feedback and are worried since this is a very expensive trip for us.

Sorry I can't comment on Vantage World- never used them.

Trollfjord is one of the bigger ships, hope you enjoy yourself.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to take this cruise, but looked at a googled weather report.Can be cool and rainy at this time of year.So will put it off till May or June of next year.But should be fun if you dress for the weather and probalby less crowded, so there are trade offs.Have a great time.Also, look at reviews in Other Cruises section,many good tips.;)

I wanted to take this cruise, but looked at a googled weather report.Can be cool and rainy at this time of year.So will put it off till May or June of next year.But should be fun if you dress for the weather and probalby less crowded, so there are trade offs.Have a great time.Also, look at reviews in Other Cruises section,many good tips.;)

Thanks, I will! We're "cold weather" people..hate beaches, don't like hanging out in the sun, so I think this will suit us just fine! And coming from central Wisconsin, we understand "cool"..and rainy... :)

Thanks, I will! We're "cold weather" people..hate beaches, don't like hanging out in the sun, so I think this will suit us just fine! And coming from central Wisconsin, we understand "cool"..and rainy... :)

You might find this useful.

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6 discussions on the Norwegian highlights trip in recent posts but also lots of photos of the ship.

I don't see any problem with you going ashore in Bergen, particularly if they dock in the harbour itself. Have you got someone with you to help with your wheelchair? Not sure about Stavanger or Oslo. I don't take usually take excursions but like to explore locally.

Is there a PM system on the cruise critic boards? I can't seem to access one.

You might find this useful.

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6 discussions on the Norwegian highlights trip in recent posts but also lots of photos of the ship.

I don't see any problem with you going ashore in Bergen, particularly if they dock in the harbour itself. Have you got someone with you to help with your wheelchair? Not sure about Stavanger or Oslo. I don't take usually take excursions but like to explore locally.

Is there a PM system on the cruise critic boards? I can't seem to access one.

Thanks for the link! I think we've managed to hook up through PM's, and I'll check out the captainsvoyage forum now! :)

I have been on Midnatsol, sister ship of Trollfjord, and planning to repeat next year - last time we did Kirkenes to Bergen, this time we will do round trip Trondheim to Trondheim.

The ships are great. Superb forward lounge above the bridge. Food might get samey over that time - the lunch buffet is more or less the same every day - but none the less it is superbly done and everything on the ship is superbly clean. My cabin was lovely - MX grade at the stern - and my mother's N grade kept her very happy (she'd not wanted to have anything better)

Hurtigruten is one of the best ways to see the real Norway.

We did some of the trips last time - they were fine, and I'm glad we did them, but next time I'd stay put on the boat, and try and see more ashore.

Nordlys is one of the mid sized ships, and I'm sure that they too are excellent. Avoid Nordstjernen and Lofoten unless you really love older ships. I'd love to do one of them, but my mother doesn't.

And it is her holiday......

• 1 year later...

THURSDAY AUGUST 4,2011

We just booked 6-DAY SOUTHBOUND VOIGE KIRKNES TO BERGAN ON THE MS TROLLFORD SATURDAY JULY 30,2OII TO THURSDAY AUGUST 4,2011

WE LEAVE DAYTON,OHIO JULY 27 BY WAY OF ATLANTA TO AMSTERDAM TO OSLO TO KIRKINES STAYING AT THE RICA ARTIC HOTEL 2 NIGHTS IN KIRKENES

AFTER ARRIVING IN BERGEN AFTER THE CRUISE ONE NIGHT IN BERGEN THAN FLY TO OSLO WITH ONE NIGHT IN OSLO THEN OFF TO COPENHAGEN WITH 3 NIGHTS IN COPENHAGEN TO CATCH THE EMERALD PRINCESS 11 DAY SCANDINAVIA & RUSSIA

RETURNING HOME AUGEST 21,2011

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Archived