VISA Questions

libby10205

Will we need VISAs for Equador, Peru and Chili?

As Keith said, no Visas required. However, if you are flying into Chile to board a ship, then you will be assessed a fee of $131.00pp at the airport before you can collect your luggage. This is a reciprocity fee that the US also charges Chileans for entering the US. Once paid, the fee is good for the life of your passport.

If you are sailing into Chile, then the fees would be included in your cruise fare.

As Keith said, no Visas required. However, if you are flying into Chile to board a ship, then you will be assessed a fee of $131.00pp at the airport before you can collect your luggage. This is a reciprocity fee that the US also charges Chileans for entering the US. Once paid, the fee is good for the life of your passport.

If you are sailing into Chile, then the fees would be included in your cruise fare.

Not quite ... according to Frommers (and interesting too) ...

Citizens of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand need only a valid passport to enter Chile. Chile charges a reciprocity fee upon entry to citizens of the following countries: $100 for the U.S., US$56 for Australians, and US$132 for Canadians. Visitors from the U.K. and New Zealand do not pay a fee. The one-time fee is good for the life of a traveler's passport, and is charged when entering through the Santiago airport only. Travelers crossing over land do not pay this fee. You may pay this fee at the airport counter (to the left of Customs) with your credit card.

Not quite ... according to Frommers (and interesting too) ...

Citizens of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand need only a valid passport to enter Chile. Chile charges a reciprocity fee upon entry to citizens of the following countries: $100 for the U.S., US$56 for Australians, and US$132 for Canadians. Visitors from the U.K. and New Zealand do not pay a fee. The one-time fee is good for the life of a traveler's passport, and is charged when entering through the Santiago airport only. Travelers crossing over land do not pay this fee. You may pay this fee at the airport counter (to the left of Customs) with your credit card.

I think I mentioned in my post that if the OP is flying into Chile the reciprocity fee would be required to be paid at the airport. The OP did not state in their post if they were sailing in to Chile or flying in.

And the price did increase as of January 1, 2008 to $131.00pp for US citizens. We were just there and paid that amount in March. Their credit card machines are not always working and they DO NOT like crisp 100 bills. They prefer 50's. 20's and singles in good condition.

I think I mentioned in my post that if the OP is flying into Chile the reciprocity fee would be required to be paid at the airport. The OP did not state in their post if they were sailing in to Chile or flying in.

And the price did increase as of January 1, 2008 to $131.00pp for US citizens. We were just there and paid that amount in March. Their credit card machines are not always working and they DO NOT like crisp 100 bills. They prefer 50's. 20's and singles in good condition.

Thanks for the update ... bad bad Frommers for not updating their web-site!

There is no fee if you arrive by cruise ship.

Keith1010,

We will be going on a cruise flying from Miami to Buenos Aires to Santiago next Feb. with a stop in Montevideo, Uraguay. I'm quite confident we will not need visas, right.

I have checked the CDC site and it states we will also not need the yellow fever shot to visit these areas. Do you agree? We are all over 60 with one being in his early 70's.

Thanks for your reply.

Keith1010,

We will be going on a cruise flying from Miami to Buenos Aires to Santiago next Feb. with a stop in Montevideo, Uraguay. I'm quite confident we will not need visas, right.

I have checked the CDC site and it states we will also not need the yellow fever shot to visit these areas. Do you agree? We are all over 60 with one being in his early 70's.

Thanks for your reply.

Based on those countries that you say you are visiting, Argentina, Chile and Uraguay you will not need a visa or a yellow fever shot.

Keith

Is the reciprocity fee in effect if transiting through Santiago?

We are traveling Lima-Santiago-Puerto Montt. We will ( I assume) clear customs in Santiago prior to boarding our flight to P.M.

Archived