Island Girl daysail?

dcrow72

Has anyone used the Island Girl daysail? What can you tell me about it? Where did they take you for snorkeling? What was the lunch served? Etc. Any info would be helpful. I like that they are right near Crown Pier and I wouldn't have to take the harrowing taxi ride to Red Hook which ruined our last trip with a sail.

We sailed with Island Girl in May and had a great time. We did a full sail and had a snack of orange and apples slices and crackers and dip. Lunch was grilled chicken sandwiches(which were good) Drinks for us were beer, rum punch, soda or gaterade(we requested that). Capt. Mike picked us up at the pier and off we went in a dingy to the sail boat. He has these see doos that my family enjoyed, it really helps to take you out away from the sail boat to see the fish and turtles. Alot less work, it just pulls you along. It was a nice day, we had never sailed before and enjoyed ourselves. Any questions just ask, kmbb

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed with Island Girl this week and really liked it. I couldn't decide which daysail company to use, and I am glad I selected Island Girl. My family really enjoyed using the sea scooters and I liked not having to deal with a taxi. I really didn't want the expense, time waste or hassle of having to get around to the other side of the Island. Capt. Mike was at the dock right next to our cruise ship at the exact time he said he would be and he had us back to the ship at the perfect time.

Food was good (snack as mentioned previously). Lunch was grilled chicken sandwiches (all breast meat, grilled nicely) with pasta salad and orange wedges. We were offered a wide choice of beverages.

In addition to the sea scooters, we used his snorkel gear. It was good quality gear with the self purging snorkels - better than the other rentals we used during our trip.

Let me know if you have any other questions while I am fresh from our trip.

Netta7

We sailed with Island Girl in May and had a great time. We did a full sail and had a snack of orange and apples slices and crackers and dip. Lunch was grilled chicken sandwiches(which were good) Drinks for us were beer, rum punch, soda or gaterade(we requested that). Capt. Mike picked us up at the pier and off we went in a dingy to the sail boat. He has these see doos that my family enjoyed, it really helps to take you out away from the sail boat to see the fish and turtles. Alot less work, it just pulls you along. It was a nice day, we had never sailed before and enjoyed ourselves. Any questions just ask, kmbb

How old were your children? I'm sorry but what is a see doo? I'm comparing a few of the day sail companies and I definitely like the fact that he picks up at the pier. Thank you!

brandysmommy--My boys were 20 years old. The seedooes are like a scooter that pulls you along the water, real easy to use and you don't have to wear yourself out kicking around to get to where you want to go. My family of guys really liked them, I did not get in the water(too cold for me and very deep) I also liked that we did not have to get a taxi, Mike was right there at the cruise ship dock. Worked out really good for us.

Any other questions, just ask, kmbb

My kids had just turned 9 & 13. They loved the sea scooters. The snorkel day with the sea scooters was a highlight of their trip.

I am not sure how old your kids are, but Capt. Mike and his first mate worked very well with ours. They seemed to truly enjoy having the boys on board.

Netta7

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used the Island Girl daysail? What can you tell me about it? Where did they take you for snorkeling? What was the lunch served? Etc. Any info would be helpful. I like that they are right near Crown Pier and I wouldn't have to take the harrowing taxi ride to Red Hook which ruined our last trip with a sail.

May I ask what happened with that harrowing taxi ride?? We have booked Winifred for Nov 1st and the taxi ride alone to Red Hook is $75 (tip not included) at that price harrowing I don't want!!!

There are three of us on this sail, dh, ds and myself.

• 4 weeks later...

we did the ship excursion 1/2 day cat sail to St John last year. The taxi was overcrowded and late leaving for the sail. We had several people of size in the tour and there wasn't enough room for all of us; he wouldn't leave til everyone squeezed in! It took over 1/2 an hour to get to Red Hook up and over the mountain; through twisting, tiny roads with no guard rails. I don't ride well and was petrified when we got there. Because of being late leaving and then the excessive traffic, our sail was cut short. I had a few "pain killers" on the boat to get me over my fear of getting back in the maniac taxi driver's truck. It was not relaxing to me at all. Most of it was that particular driver, but the roads there are not for the faint of heart (me).

May I ask what happened with that harrowing taxi ride?? We have booked Winifred for Nov 1st and the taxi ride alone to Red Hook is $75 (tip not included) at that price harrowing I don't want!!!

There are three of us on this sail, dh, ds and myself.

there are some good tour companies that only charge $25 pp for a whole day including a trip to the beach for 3 hours.

check out some other threads on this board. I've read about Liston tours and a woman named Burnie. There are links to the websites for their tours. I've emailed one, but haven't heard back yet. $25 is cheaper than cab fare to the beaches and back. I'll let you know in early November if it worked out.

dcrow, we too had a harrowing experience in St. Thomas last year when we were on the Crown. We have booked the half day cat. sail to St. John with Princess. My concern is what kind of bus/taxi.......was it one of those open safari buses or a regular bus?

Thanks, Susan

My 17 yr old daughter and I (46 yr old dad) did a 1/2 day sail and snorkel trip with Mike aboard Island Girl. We throroughly enjoyed our experience. We sailed to a small island (buck island? - small light house on top and a pretty beach. ) The sailing was great and just what we were looking for. We were the only two on the charter and Mike and his deck hand Kelly made us feel like we were friends guesting on the boat and not just paying customers. Sarah sunned on the deck while I chatted with Mike and Kelly about family and backgrounds. At the island we were the only boat in the cove and after some brief snorkel instruction (we have snorkeled before) Kelly led us into the water to explore the coral and fish. Island Girl provided all snorkel equipment needed which included power sea doo seascooters at no extra charge. We saw turtles, lots of fish, barracuda, rays etc. The sea scooters weren't really necessary since we did not have a long swim to get to snorkel sites, but they made it easy to get from site to site quickly, and definitely let us dive deeper. We never felt rushed the whole morning. When we came back to the boat Kelly had cheese and fruit ready for a lite snack and we had a relaxing sail back. To us this was a great trip. We never felt rushed. Daughter and I arrived at the dock :45 early, called Mike and he immediately came and picked us up with no delay. Communication setting up the trip with Mike was very easy with quick email responses. The price was very reasonable I thought for $75 each for the 1/2 day. Out of our six days on St Thomas this was daughter's favorite outing. Her biggest regret was not spending a full day on Island Girl. On another day we saw a catamaran on its way out of the bay with every inch of deck space packed with people. I guess if groups is your thing that would be great, but for us you can't beat the experience we had with Mike and Kelly. He takes out groups of 2 -6. I give them my highest recommendation

• 2 months later...
Hi!

How easy is it to get in and out of the boat? We were thinking of booking, but my Mom is 78. She's pretty active and has snorkeled in the past, but I was concerned with how it would be for her to get back in the boat.

Anyone know about the ladder situation to get in and out of Island Girl?

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed the Island Girl on 1/4/2009. It was the BEST 1/2 day sail ever! Felt like we had chartered a private sailboat. My hubby and I and 2 other couples. The sea scooters are fantastic and allow you scoot all around and not get tired. Felt sorry for the large catamarans that pulled up. They were herded around in large groups. We had private attention and was able to do as we pleased.

Unless you like large groups, you must do this sail. It is AWESOME!!

I don't disagree that it's much more convenient (and a great time saver) to be picked up at the dock for your daysail. But, just to offer a counterpoint ... we booked Rumbaba out of Red Hook last July and the ride, while a bit long, was no big deal. We never felt unsafe!!!

We sailed the Island Girl on 1/4/2009. It was the BEST 1/2 day sail ever! Felt like we had chartered a private sailboat. My hubby and I and 2 other couples. The sea scooters are fantastic and allow you scoot all around and not get tired. Felt sorry for the large catamarans that pulled up. They were herded around in large groups. We had private attention and was able to do as we pleased.

Unless you like large groups, you must do this sail. It is AWESOME!!

Wow, great to know you had a good time. We are booked with Island Girl on 1/24. We can't wait!

Archived