Marco Polo Airport to Venice ( easiest way )

Sorry for starting another thread.

I am also looking for people that have done this recently frnm Airport to San Marco Island

I'm close to booking the private service from Expedia the runs ~ $47/person. I've also found this web site that offers similar price and service: http://venice.airports-shuttle.com/

Both of these use the private boat to get into Venice, but seems more like you take shuttle bus/van from the airport then the watertaxi, versus the water taxi the whole way.

I'm not hung on doing the water taxi all the way, but am looking for the simplest and easy way as I'll have both some very old parents and young kids who aren't going to be up for lots of walking to and from trains and over bridges after the long flight from the states.

Anybody that has done this recently can share their experience and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chipmaster. I can understand that it can be confusing. For your post, I'm assuming you are going from the Marco Polo airport (there is another airport at Treviso) to San Marco Square (not island). If this is so, there are several ways, but you asked for the easiest - Private Water Taxi from the airport to San Marco Square. This costs about 100 euros per taxi, not per person. I've never used the taxi service because the more common way is easy enough for us. However, I've seen posts that each taxi will take 6 people & luggage. It will be private, so your group will not have to fight for space, try to stay together on crowded public vaporetti (water buses), & try to all get off at the correct stop.

Now, the issue is getting to the water taxi. I don't know how mobile your elderly folks are. I've read that it can be quite a walk from the airport Arrivals area to the dock. I've also read that there is a shuttle that makes the trip. So, if you decide on a water taxi, you might ask about that info.

From your post, I do know if you are aware that land vehicles can NOT get you from the airport to San Marco Square in Venice. It can only get you to the Piazzale Roma (the transportation center). From there you must take a public vaporetto, unless you have previously arranged a private water taxi to meet you there - which may be the same cost, I don't know.

If you are interested in other options, or how to get back to the airport, or how to get to the cruise port, please let us know.

Keep in mind, that if your hotel has a dock, the water taxi can take you directly to the dock - making the trip very easy on your elderly folks. If your hotel does not have a dock, the walk (with luggage) from the water taxi dropoff anywhere in Venice can be gruelling, if there are a lot of bridges to cross & often even when there are not a lot of bridges to cross. If that is the case, some of the higher priced hotels offer luggage service from the dock for probably a hefty fee.

Edit: I've read posts that there are hotels in P.Roma area that can be reached by land vehicles & not require the water travel & walking with luggage issue. This area is also very close to the cruiseport. Then when touring Venice, simply take the vaporetti or walk, but without luggage & being tired from traveling, it will be much easier. My only suggestion is not to stay in Mestre. Some posters really like that idea, but I don't, especially with elderly people. At least when you hotel is in Venice, you can go back periodically & rest without it being a journey.

I took a while to type this (watching TV!), so if someone has already given you this info - oops!

Just read this thread where Sparky helped another Venice traveler. He suggested the Ca Doge Hotel which is on land by P.Roma. That would allow you to take a land taxi from the airport to the hotel & if going on a cruise, from the hotel to the cruiseport. This would definitely be the "easiest" way for you to arrive in Venice. Thanks to Sparky again!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=819892

To those that replied, many thanks.

Sorry I wasn't clear in the questions, but I am aware that Venice is surrounded by water and thus at somepoint a small boat trip will be required.

We are staying at a Hotel a few minutes walk from San Marco. Yeah, it is looking expensive, water taxi from Airport to Hotel then again from Hotel to Terminal the next day. But heah, how many times do you get to be in Venice :D

The Hotel is an easy walk from the Rialto Bridge with no additional bridges. At least that is what the map and info says, and I hope too :rolleyes:

I'm leaning toward combined shuttle-private water taxi.

To those that replied, many thanks.

Sorry I wasn't clear in the questions, but I am aware that Venice is surrounded by water and thus at somepoint a small boat trip will be required.

We are staying at a Hotel a few minutes walk from San Marco. Yeah, it is looking expensive, water taxi from Airport to Hotel then again from Hotel to Terminal the next day. But heah, how many times do you get to be in Venice :D

The Hotel is an easy walk from the Rialto Bridge with no additional bridges. At least that is what the map and info says, and I hope too :rolleyes:

I'm leaning toward combined shuttle-private water taxi.

Chip, here's what we did (although in reverse)

Contact your hotel to see if they have a "water window" Most, but not all do. If they do, ask then if there is a particular water taxi company that will come to them. Here again, depending on where they are in the "canal maze" not all do.

Then, assuming that they both have a water window and that there is water taxi that comes to them all you need to do is walk around to the back of the airport (that's where the dock is) and take the water taxi to the hotel. It will be a great way to enhance your Venice experience. Do the same when you go from your hotel to the cruise ship.

In the baggage claim area you will find many luggage carts. Be sure to have several quarters with you.

We used TaxiVenetia which has a counter in the terminal. Their price includes a shuttle to the water taxi dock. There used to be a free shuttle bus to the dock. I wouldn't walk to the dock, since the price is minimal divided up among all of you. It was a little over 100 Euro total for the shuttle and water taxi. We used it to get to Locanda Orseolo's "water window".

Joan

Chip, here's what we did (although in reverse)

Contact your hotel to see if they have a "water window" Most, but not all do. If they do, ask then if there is a particular water taxi company that will come to them. Here again, depending on where they are in the "canal maze" not all do.

Then, assuming that they both have a water window and that there is water taxi that comes to them all you need to do is walk around to the back of the airport (that's where the dock is) and take the water taxi to the hotel. It will be a great way to enhance your Venice experience. Do the same when you go from your hotel to the cruise ship.

In the baggage claim area you will find many luggage carts. Be sure to have several quarters with you.

Slomo,

Thanks, in all the planning and thinking I didn't think of the obvious and asking our hotel for a recommendation and to confirm if they did indeed have a dock/window :o

chipmaster, if your hotel does not have a water window, since you are near the Rialto, be sure the water taxi drops you off at the "correct" side of the Rialto. I'd hate to think you had to haul all the luggage over the Rialto because the "old parents & kids" couldn't do so! That is some hike without luggage!

Also, the "Rialto" vaporetto/taxi stop has quite a few stairs once you disembark at the dock. These stairs are not over a canal; just go up to the street level from the dock level.

Our apartment is between Rialto & San Marco. We get off at San Marco & walk thru the square in order to avoid the Rialto stop stairs & the 2 bridges on the way. Don't know if that works for you.

chipmaster, if your hotel does not have a water window, since you are near the Rialto, be sure the water taxi drops you off at the "correct" side of the Rialto. I'd hate to think you had to haul all the luggage over the Rialto because the "old parents & kids" couldn't do so! That is some hike without luggage!

Also, the "Rialto" vaporetto/taxi stop has quite a few stairs once you disembark at the dock. These stairs are not over a canal; just go up to the street level from the dock level.

Our apartment is between Rialto & San Marco. We get off at San Marco & walk thru the square in order to avoid the Rialto stop stairs & the 2 bridges on the way. Don't know if that works for you.

Hotel has dock/window :D

Quotes are going ~224 USD for up to 6 / boat + luggage on Expedia, or something a bit more that is land shuttle + watertaxi.

Will decided after getting one last quote, it is expensive :eek:

We used TaxiVenetia which has a counter in the terminal. Their price includes a shuttle to the water taxi dock. There used to be a free shuttle bus to the dock. I wouldn't walk to the dock, since the price is minimal divided up among all of you. It was a little over 100 Euro total for the shuttle and water taxi. We used it to get to Locanda Orseolo's "water window".

Joan

Joan,

We are also staying at Locando Orseolo. There are 6 of us arriving at the same time and staying at this B&B. Will one water taxi hold all of 6 of us with all of our luggage? Did you arrange the water taxi beforehand?

Thanks,

Nancy

Well, given that you are some older folks (you don't day if they have mobility problems) your options are quite limited. The best way (if money is no object) is to take a private water taxi to your hotel dock (I am assuming your hotel has a private dock....which you can determine from their web site or by sending them an e-mail). Since you have your own group (sounds like at least 6 of you from your e-mail) it actually might make sense to get your own water taxi. Even if you have to pay $200, it might be worth it for the convenience. Check with your hotel to see if they have a private dock (most do) and than make sure your water taxis include going directly to the hotel...not dropping you at St Marks Square. Most of the water taxis can cram-in up to 10 persons, but with luggage 6 is probably an ideal number. You can pre-book a water taxi on-line, but there are usually a few available at the airport (they know the flight schedules and how to make a living).

Hank

Joan,

We are also staying at Locando Orseolo. There are 6 of us arriving at the same time and staying at this B&B. Will one water taxi hold all of 6 of us with all of our luggage? Did you arrange the water taxi beforehand?

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi, Sorry for butting in, but we stayed there as well & yes one water taxi will hold all of you with your luggage. There were 5 of us, 5 large suitcases, 5 24" roll-ons & 5 totes. Some water taxi's will not go to their water window, but there is one that will. I do not recall the name, but they will give it to you. Be sure you have your camera at the ready, you will get some fabulous shots on the way.

And, you have picked a fabulous place to stay.

Al

Hi Nancy,

I agree with Al about the water taxi holding 6. We took one from LO to the ship and there were six of us with tons of luggage. Look for the water taxi counter in the airport. We did not book ahead because we were told that if the plane came in late, we would be charged extra. We have not had a problem getting one at the airport and Taxi Venetia will go to the water window. Write to Igor at Locanda Orseolo and he'll give you any information you need. This will be our third visit to LO in May. You are in for a treat there. Have fun.

Joan

Hi Nancy,

I agree with Al about the water taxi holding 6. We took one from LO to the ship and there were six of us with tons of luggage. Look for the water taxi counter in the airport. We did not book ahead because we were told that if the plane came in late, we would be charged extra. We have not had a problem getting one at the airport and Taxi Venetia will go to the water window. Write to Igor at Locanda Orseolo and he'll give you any information you need. This will be our third visit to LO in May. You are in for a treat there. Have fun.

Joan

Hi Joan,

What was the price you paid, in Euros? I have been thinking of waiting till I arrive but with 11 people and 3 generations I am trying to avoid any loose ends and / or suprises. Thanks

Thank you all so much for the information about the water taxi and luggage.

We are so looking forward to staying at Locando Orseolo.

Nancy

Nancy,

Two things at LO.

Be sure to say hello to their newest staffer '"Romeo" and be sure to have the crepes for breakfast. They are the thinnest and lightest I've ever had.

DSC07469.jpg.ecf5ee2bd23bb2e1ab3a546837395cd7.jpg

DSC07471.jpg.33fe4a777a87fe0e96f3cd85156517fb.jpg

We booked for four us online through Water taxi in Venice, 275 euros roundtrip airport to hotel: hotel to airport. We were met by their driver in the terminal outside of customs who helped us to his waiting van right outside of the terminal building, helping with our luggage. He then drove us (several minutes but one can see the walkway that must be traversed and it is a schlepp) to the actual dock for the water taxi where he personally took our luggage from the van and placed it on the water taxi. If it were just my husband and I or one of our teenage children, that would be fine to walk and catch the alilaguna or arrange for a taxi at the dock which can be done. With children and elderly persons, THIS IS THE WAY to go. NO complaining no one pooping out, no parent having to wheel two or three bags while child or elderly parent isn't quite able to do it especially after an eight hour flight. The trip into Venice on a water taxi is a magical way to start a vacation and puts everyone in a great mood to start their vacation!

We booked for four us online through Water taxi in Venice, 275 euros roundtrip airport to hotel: hotel to airport. We were met by their driver in the terminal outside of customs who helped us to his waiting van right outside of the terminal building, helping with our luggage. He then drove us (several minutes but one can see the walkway that must be traversed and it is a schlepp) to the actual dock for the water taxi where he personally took our luggage from the van and placed it on the water taxi. If it were just my husband and I or one of our teenage children, that would be fine to walk and catch the alilaguna or arrange for a taxi at the dock which can be done. With children and elderly persons, THIS IS THE WAY to go. NO complaining no one pooping out, no parent having to wheel two or three bags while child or elderly parent isn't quite able to do it especially after an eight hour flight. The trip into Venice on a water taxi is a magical way to start a vacation and puts everyone in a great mood to start their vacation!

What is the name of the company or their website? This sounds like the way to go, but I needed more info to find them. Thanks for your info.

Archived