Weigh-in for Thursday 8-7-08

bjar719

It's early, but I want to get this started because I have a question to pose as well. Today my weight is the same as last Thursday, and it's been up and down a pound or so between then and now. The only real "off" time in my diet was last Saturday when we had dinner with my daughter and son-in-law and his family. They cooked. It was a one-meal aberration (and I minded my portions), so my weight fluctuated a little after that. And it seriously could have been from the salt in that meal because I have very little salt in my diet now.

Anyway, for the question. For those of you who work out with weights (Odoyal Rulez) do you find your weight goes up a little after your workouts? I'm finding this to be the case. I have only recently joined the gym so I've not had time to really notice a pattern yet. I'm not overly concerned, but it has crossed my mind that the weight loss may be slower now (plus the fact that after losing 55 pounds, the closer I get to my goal weight -- whatever that is -- the pounds do come off at a slower rate). Will I start seeing the weight come off once my body has adjusted to this new schedule?

I hope the week has been good for the rest of you.

Sorry, I can't help with your question because I do very little strength training. Congrats on your 55 pounds though!

I'm really mixed about how I feel about today's weigh-in. Overall, I'm 4 pounds heavier since going on vacation 2 weeks ago. But I'm definitely headed back in the right direction because I've lost 2 pounds since Tuesday. (I gained a total of 6 pounds on vacation. :eek: )

I've got 6 weeks left until I leave for my cruise, so I'm going to start a countdown and add to the list each week.

Week 1: 133 -- 11 pounds away from goal

(Even though my cruise is over I'd like to continue posting if that is o.k. with everyone. It makes me more accountible!)

Weigh in was good. I was down 3.2 from last week but still up 3.2 from my lowest which was before my one week at the beach and one week on my cruise. Unfortunately, we are leaving for the beach again this Sunday so I'm sure at my next weigh in my weight will be up again but I'll just have to bring it back down! At this point I'm 4.8 away from goal. Hope the rest of you have a great weigh in...can't wait to read about your week!;)

Good Morning Everyone,

I lost 1 lb. That's 1 of the 3 I gained on a weekend away last week. I did have dinner out twice this week so that's not bad.

Bjar-I do some strength training but can't say I've noticed what you've experienced. Congrats. on losing 55 lbs. That's fabulous!

I have to say life really gets in our weight loss way, doesn't it?

I am up this monring ... but it was DS's birthday yesterday and I ate pizza (lots of salt), and had cake .... my rings are tight this morning, so I know its all water weight. I have a little over a week before our cruise and I will try to lose some from now on. Jan

bjar - I have a trainer that I work with (I've lost about 50#) and it is now more difficult to lose as I become closer to my goal weight. I work with lots of weights and measurements changed but not pounds lost ... my body has spent its time changing fat to muscle ... (fat does NOT weigh more than muscle, (a pound is a pound) but fat takes up more area. It might be awhile until you see actual weight loss .... measure yourself and you will see the change measurement wise first. I hope this makes some sense!!! Jan

Hello fellow losers! I am down 5.2 pounds! WOO HOO! That makes a total of 61 pounds total! My goal for the cruise was to lose 68.4 pounds, and I am 7.4 pounds away, with better than 14 weeks to go! I have now bumbed my goal to 75 pounds, which gives me 14 weeks to lose 14 pounds! I'm pushing hard.

Good luck to everyone else!

Jan, what you said does make sense. I know that muscle is denser so that it may take up less space and will weigh more than fat of the same mass, but I figured that since it is still early on in my new routine (I've had all of 5 sessions), I haven't changed much yet. I was hoping that the boost to my metabolism might help things along, so watching the scale fluctuate up and down a pound or two in the last week with no actual loss has been a little frustrating. But, it is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix, so I shouldn't be too impatient. You're doing a great job too!

Thanks, right now I'm having a hard time not being discouraged. I lost so much that I started to get greedy and my body decided not to lose anymore weight .... I too need to remember that it is a life change and not a rush to see how much/how quickly I can lose. I really want to lose about 15-25 more ... my body wants to stay where I am :rolleyes: Jan

I really want to lose about 15-25 more ... my body wants to stay where I am :rolleyes: Jan

That sounds exactly like me! But if we are determined and keep doing what is healthy and has gotten us this far, then I know we will reach our goals at some point!

Barbie

The first year you seriously begin to lift weights is probably the year you will gain more muscle mass easier than any other time. YOu can expect to look better and see more definition and lose inches while staying the same weight or losing very slowly.

I know you said you only had five sessions, and we both know you wont see any changes in that short amount of time, but as far as weight goes...when you lift depending on what muscle your working, the body forces blood into that muscle and "pumps" it to handle the additional stress. I always seem to hold more water when lifting and immediately afterwords.

Honestly if your getting into lifting..and not like me obviously, but just trying to get fit and lean, i'd stop looking at the scale and start measuring your waist..and even better take a digital picture of yourself every week. Then every couple months compare them....that my friend is how you judge weight loss progress, the scale means nothing.

Another benefit of lifting especially if your trying to lose a buttload of weight is the muscle help fill out the skin, as well as significantly raises your metabolism. One of the things I hear women say a lot about weight training is they dont want to get big and bulky..they want to get skinny...well the problem is you wont get big a blocky, those huge musclular women you see in magazines are supplementing with testosterone to get that big, whereas a normal womans body doesnt produce enough testosterone to generate nearly that amount of mass.

All women should lift weights, and watch how good your body will begin to look.

Fyi im down a pound or two this week...still sitting around 252/251 fully cloth4d with shoes on.

Defintely noticing a large amount of strength loss due to the calorie restriction and cardio, but hey im not trying to impress anyone else anymore.

Thanks for the information, Odoyal Rulez. I know you're right about disregarding the scale. I guess we're all conditioned to use that as a measure of our success. I'm going to follow your advice about taking measurements and pictures on a regular basis.

down 1 this week. yea!

bjar719, it may take about 6 weeks or so before you really see the advantages of working out. the effects start immediately but we just don't see it. you might drink more water after working out, that's a good thing. Ultimately it's the 3500 calorie deficit that makes you a pound lighter for real. Working out burns real calories, and you can also measure the results. The metabolism boost might be minor. I found after working out about 250 minutes a week for six weeks that my calorie load was only 11 calories more per day. But the 250 minutes burned off about 2000 calories a week. You go girl!

Archived