Running Out of Time

gordons4

Help. We leave for the airport tonight, and I thought I was so organized. But I'm having a mental block on how to pack--besides take only half of what we planned on taking.

Specifically, what should we have in carry-on? I'm thinking that it is just wiser to put all liquids/gels in checked luggage. Also, I think I read somewhere that even in the checked luggage those cosmetic/hygeine type items should be put in clear plastic bags rather than standard cosmetic bags--something about it being less invasive if your luggage is gone through.

Any last minute flying/packing advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Sheri

Hope not. Here's a couple of tips:

In your carryon - Pack all of your meds, even over-the-counter. At least one blouse/shirt and pair of underwear, in case the luggage is "delayed".

In your checked luggage - I put the majority of liquids I won't need for the flight in double bagged plastic. It's easier to see than a cosmetic bag, and with the double bags I"ve never had a leak. Less hassle for airport check-in too. Don't forget an extra pair of eye-glasses.

Breathe!!! It'll be fine. You'll be fine.

In your carry on or on your person/in your purse:

All valuables

ALL your travel docs

Contact phone #s you may need during travel (hotel res, etc)

Change of clothing, if you have room

Your toothbrush and toothpaste

Camera

Cell phone (if applicable)

Your toothbrush and toothpaste
Make sure the toothpaste is one of those tiny travel-size ones, not just the "last ounce" of a large tube. If you don't already have one like that, just forget it and pick some up at your arrival (port) airport or on the ship.

Don't pack your camera, i-pod, laptop :eek: or any valuable in your checked luggage. Jewelry, medications, and valuables all belong in your purse or carryon.

Travel safely and Have a great cruise.

Take your passport with you, in carry-on, or better, in a necklace document/ticket holder so you can pull it out. Put your tickets in the necklace document/ticket holder, too. And some $5 bills, for tips.

Make sure the toothpaste is one of those tiny travel-size ones, not just the "last ounce" of a large tube. If you don't already have one like that, just forget it and pick some up at your arrival (port) airport or on the ship.

What he said - if you don't have a travel size, put a bit in a plastic baggie for an overnight brushing. Even if there is just a little left in a large tube, there's a chance that it will be confuscated.

Make sure your documents, passport and any other important contact information, such as hotel confirmation if you're staying over before your cruise, etc. are in your carry-on.

Also, I always line my suitcase with lightweight kitchen bags "just in case" it's raining when my bag is carried on or off. I then use the bags as laundry bags on the ship. Plus, I pack all of my toiletries, cosmetics, etc. in separate plastic bags according to what type they are and when I'll use them. That creates smaller "packages" that I can tuck into uneven spots in my suitcase instead of having to save a large space in my bag. I bring a super lightweight bag and pack it flat; when I get to where I'm going, I put all those plastic bags in it so everything's in one place.

Since we do not like HAL's new Elimus products, I carry our own Shampoos -- I just pack them in a zip lock bag and they go into the checked luggage. Same goes for conditioners. We have never had a problem with TSA concerning these items. They are placed on top of everything for the TSA machines to XRay them. Now I do place them in plastic bags -- just in case something leaks.

But then -- Everything pack is in a plastic bags -- sweater bags -- blanket bags -- you get the picture.

But then -- Everything pack is in a plastic bags -- sweater bags -- blanket bags -- you get the picture.

Tell me more about this packing procedure, please. Are you saying you buy "sweater bags, blanket bags". Don't think I am familiar with those. Then do you arrange by categories such as all your sweaters in one bag, or by outfits ?? I am always looking for a better way. gg

I use 2 gallon zip lock freezer bags to pack clothing. They hold folded shirts perfectly as well as other items. You can get several shirts into one bag. Also good for accessories. Items stayed folded and will not be all over the suitcase. One gallon size is good for underwear and small items you might want to group together. If they search your luggage, your things will remain in good order. I do this for both checked and carry on. This method also is great for pre and post cruise stays. You will be able to find things easily in your suitcase without having to unpack and repack for short stays in hotels. Pay attention to the new weight and size restrictions for carry on. I was shocked when they weighed my carry on last year. The limit was 16 lbs. This year some airlines have dropped it to 11 lbs with largest side 18 inches or less. Each airline is different. Packing the carry on is becoming more creative. Carry a jacket. Planes get cold and some are not handing out blankets....an inflatable pillow is also a good thing. Pillows are becoming scarce in economy class. Continental is charging $7 for blanket/pillow. Do not pack lithium batteries in your checked luggage; they are no longer allowed and will be taken and not returned. Lithium batteries must be in your carry on. This is important if you have a camera with a lithium battery....be sure to carry it on. Have at least one change of clothing in your carry on and a pair of shoes that are a different type than the ones you are wearing. What ever is very valuable to you, and you do not want to chance loosing, carry it on or leave it home.

Happy travels.

Archived