Occupation in guest information

new_cruiser

Does anyone know why they ask for occupation in the guest information?

I think I'll have to choose "other" - I don't see anything like engineer, scientist, research and development or technology in the pull down list though they have a couple of narrow terms: information technology and telecommunications neither of which fits my technology area.

Yeh, I know what you mean. "Other" is probably the best you can do!

Here's a story about that--my husband is a physicist, his title is "Dr.". On the guest form, he's listed as something like "health care professional"! Silly, just silly. Some day I'm going to correct it for him.

I remember a long time ago on cc, we had a rather heated discussion on whether a PHd, who the wife thought should be addressed as Doctor so and so, then a Juris Doctor said he did not expect to be addressed as such. It really caused quite a stir, because quite frankly, I don't think any of us care what titles we carry! This debate went on and on, and that's why I don't think it matters, because in the end, we are who we are! Not our titles (that is only professional)! If you need a title to hold you up personally, then too bad! We don't need to know it unless, of course, you ask.

I must be looking at the wrong form, as the one I get on user CP allows one to type in his or her occupation description, and does not require that one chose from a prepared list. An example of where that might be useful information is when a poster comments on some engineering feature or problem on a ship, and then we find on his or her profile that this poster is a nautical engineer! Kind of gives more credibility, doesn't it, than if the poster were listed as "high school drop out."

Thanks,

Richard:) :) :)

Richard, I think the original poster, new cruiser, is referring to the guest information form that Radisson asks you to complete when you book a cruise. It's the same form on which you can register your special requests and where you list next of kin. It asks for one's occupation, and the choices are oddly limited. As I recall, I'd be surprised if most people didn't fall into the 'Other' category.

I think you are thinking about the user profiles that we can fill out here on Cruise Critic.

MarnaLou

Archived