Another Half Moon Cay Question

Quincella

I posted this question on the Bahamas POC board but have yet to get any responses. Hoping to have more luck here.

What are some of the things you have done while visiting HMC, other than beach lounging? The kids (12 adn 5) aren't old enough for wave runners. We may end up just doing a beach day, but I haven't really seen many options.

Thanks!

I posted this question on the Bahamas POC board but have yet to get any responses. Hoping to have more luck here.

What are some of the things you have done while visiting HMC, other than beach lounging? The kids (12 adn 5) aren't old enough for wave runners. We may end up just doing a beach day, but I haven't really seen many options.

Thanks!

Im not sure, but HMC info is under Private Islands

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=406

Thanks!

Don't know have been scheduled ther twice and never made it ashore. Both times they suspended the tender operations due to weather:(

Most beautiful beach I have ever been to. I do recommend getting a cabana if you want to get out of the sun. On the beach they have a water slide area and plenty of floating toys and a trampoline for the kids out in the water. My 7 year old spent most of the day in the crystal clear water with her snorkle and mask. One tip would be to leave for the ship early. On the Liberty they recommended everyone to get back on the tenders at around 2:00pm. By 2:10pm the tender line was over an hour long.

Most beautiful beach I have ever been to. I do recommend getting a cabana if you want to get out of the sun. On the beach they have a water slide area and plenty of floating toys and a trampoline for the kids out in the water. My 7 year old spent most of the day in the crystal clear water with her snorkle and mask. One tip would be to leave for the ship early. On the Liberty they recommended everyone to get back on the tenders at around 2:00pm. By 2:10pm the tender line was over an hour long.

Thanks for your response. That's exactly the type of information I was looking for, and I appreciate the tips.

Don't know have been scheduled ther twice and never made it ashore. Both times they suspended the tender operations due to weather:(

oh man, that would burn! I was there last april amd it is great. We are going again in October so will pray for calm waters. Never thought about them not being able to tender us. Now I have something to worry about:eek:

Trisha

oh man, that would burn! I was there last april amd it is great. We are going again in October so will pray for calm waters. Never thought about them not being able to tender us. Now I have something to worry about:eek:

Trisha

Apparently a lot of people have the same problem with Grand Cayman, but I've never missed it.

Oops! I shouldn't have said that. Now I've probably jinxed it and the winds/seas will not be cooperative when we try to get to HMC! :eek:

We were there last year in November. My family rented a cabana (See picture in my profile). My daughter and hubby went horseback riding in the water. They had a blast. They still talk about that excursion.

My mother and I stayed behind at the wonderful cabana. It was air conditioned, had a fridge with cold drinks, float mats, snorkel equipment, lounging chairs...and so on. You also get a huge platter of goodies delivered.

I've seen many beautiful beaches, but I've never seen one so gorgeous!! You'll love it.:)

I don't know when you were last there, but they now have the two large island based tenders, so there is very little waiting. There was also a third boat tendering in March.

I did the Eco Lagoon Tour. You go on a small glass bottom boat and tour around the lagoon with a guide telling about the bahamas, sea lilfe and plants. The guide scoops stuff out of the ocean and passes around the boat.

2513836110102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

2283497660102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

I agree on the tenders. And we were the only ship there at the time.

I did the Eco Lagoon Tour. You go on a small glass bottom boat and tour around the lagoon with a guide telling about the bahamas, sea lilfe and plants. The guide scoops stuff out of the ocean and passes around the boat.

2513836110102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

2283497660102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

I agree on the tenders. And we were the only ship there at the time.

This seems very cool, and I think my kids might like getting to interact with the sea creatures. Thanks for the info and the pics!

Just returned, love this place, great beach and the water is perfect. We were on tender #1, got a bunch of chairs, I took a walk the length of the beach which was great and took about 45 minutes or so. It was so hot that we spent a lot of time in the water. We had a couple clam shells but they get hot after awhile. The kids played volleyball and went jet skiing, one did so snorkling. We stayed on the neach until about 3:45, 3 tenders running, 2 of them hold 300 plus so they move quickly. The kids also used the water trampoline(sp?) as well.

We were there last year in November. My family rented a cabana (See picture in my profile). My daughter and hubby went horseback riding in the water. They had a blast. They still talk about that excursion.

My mother and I stayed behind at the wonderful cabana. It was air conditioned, had a fridge with cold drinks, float mats, snorkel equipment, lounging chairs...and so on. You also get a huge platter of goodies delivered.

I've seen many beautiful beaches, but I've never seen one so gorgeous!! You'll love it.:)

Did you have a regular cabana or was it the luxury one? Thanks

Did you have a regular cabana or was it the luxury one? Thanks

I know this post isn't directed to me, but I took a look at her profile and she was in the yellow cabana. It's the regular cabana. :)

Here's the cabanas (see link below). Click on any one of these and you'll see a larger picture of the cabanas. The colors listed on the link below aren't all the same as Holland has them listed. If you have a particular one you want, you might also take the number listed with you when you head to the excursion desk on the Carnival ship.

We were in the turquoise one and it was a good location. It's close to the restrooms, and food pavilion. There's a tree right next to it so you're in the shade most of the afternoon.

http://static.flickr.com/108/296583013_6fa96f5e51_o.jpg

The cabanas are not cheap.

As for the stingrays, the HMC excursion was the only stingray excursion I've ever done that I wasn't thrilled with.

I'm not a swimmer and there, you have to snorkel the entire time. Since I didn't want to, I was pretty much just shoved to the side of the stairs and told to stay there. When they finally got around to feeding them, it was mostly just the guide doing the feeding. It's a very small, enclosed area with a reef, so everyone is crammed into one corner. They spent WAY too much time forcing everyone to stop and have the obligatory stupid photo with the guide as you entered the water.

Anyway, there are water toys and such up near the tender dock. We prefer to walk down to sports hut #2, rent a clamshell, and just relax on my favorite beach.

Last time there, it took forever to tender off. I think they came close to deciding it was too rough, but we did finally make it. Ended up with only a few hours, and, yes, the line was very, very long to get back to the ship.

I specifically booked my December cruise because it has 2 sea days AND goes to HMC. I'll be crushed if we can't tender over.

Here's a partial map...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-destinations/HalfMoonCay_Map.pdf

We went in April last year and it was the best day ever. My dh,dd,sil and I rented a cabana # 13. It was a bit of a walk to the food and bathrooms but was worth it to be down the beach for more privacy. I never wanted to leave.

We are going again in October this time with 3 dd's and sil's and 4 grands. I can't wait. Weather, please be good!!;)

Trisha

I can give you my experience in getting back to the boat. If there is a firmal night the night of HMC and you have the laste seating then wait untill all of the early seating people leave. When I was there several years back the island was empty and nice and quiet after 3:30. I think on that cruise the last tender was after 4. Most people at early seating had to get back on teh boat by 2:30 to get ready for dinner and pictures.

Archived