Spirit aft or starbord to see Statue of Liberty while leaving port

clandt

I saw someone comment on the side coming back in to port, but I won't be up that early :) I want to know for sail away which side we should choose.

For sailaway, starboard side is where you will see it. Aft you will only see

it once it passes by;) :)

Not to get picky but aft and starboard are not opposites. Port and starboard are opposites. The previous poster is correct - on sailaway, starboard (the right side of the ship as you're facing forward) will provide the view of the Statue of Liberty. If you're at the aft (rear) of the ship, as long as you're on the starboard side, you'll still get the view. Just avoid the port side.

You will get a beautiful view of the Statue if you have a balcony on the port side of the ship coming back into N.Y.C.. I stood on my balcony and zoomed in and get beautiful pictures. Have a good trip. Going out I went to deck 10, overlooking the children's pool, there was such a thunderstorm that afternoon.

Aft (the back of the ship or stern) was great for us on the Dawn in June. We had an AE cabin and watched from our balcony. We could see both shores sailing out and as we passed the Statute, we could see it as it would be seen by those sailing into New York for the first time.

Also the if you are going on the 8 night cruise the Spirit comes in later than the Dawn. It was just getting into the pier around 9am. I was already off of the Dawn on my way home when it was just pulling in...so you don't have to get up too eary to see the statue of liberty in the morning.

We stood on our balcony (aft AD) and had perfect views of Lady Liberty. It was awe-inspiring to see her from the deck of a ship, just like my husband's family did when they came from Ireland and my mother's family did when they came over from Germany.

If you go up to the Sports Deck Aft, you can get a great view of both the Statue and then the city on the other side. I was like a little kid going from side to side to get pictures. Coming back into the city, my cabin was on the port side and I was able to see the Statue from my balcony between 7:30 and 8:00AM.

Archived