Christmas aboard Thomson Celebration

:) Hello all - glad to meet you all and come across a forum just for Thomson cruises! Have done a cruise with Celebration before and loved!!!

Please can anyone tell me as to whether they have done a cruise over Christmas with Thomsons?

Also will there be many onboard within 14 - 16 yr old range please?

Hi Welcome to the forum!

No, I haven't done a Christmas cruise with Thomson - but I would LOVE to! The atmosphere on Celebration is fantastic at any time but I guess it would be fabulous over Christmas and the Christmas lights in Madeira are said to be something else! Sounds wonderful! Enjoy!

Hi Happy,Christmas on a cruise sounds lovely,am very tempted myself to go on one then,even better not having to cook for the masses and all that washing up too,heaven!

Like Mary I havent even been on my first cruise yet,found out that Mary is going on the same cruise as myself so would be great if we met up while on our hols.We will of course write a novel when we return,I think we are going to great cocktail buddies,Im going with my partner and we both have the drinks package,didnt click at the time of booking that maybe just 1 package would have been enough,oh well,will just have to work my way through as much of the drinks list as is humanly possible,Im sure Mary wont mind helping me:D

I was looking at other cruises with Thomson,I fancy doing one to the Carribean,white sandy beaches and clear blue seas look very enticing.Not sure which itinerary would be the best to go on,any feedback would be welcome.Also would I need jabs,visa etc.Also what time of year would be best to go,dont want to be in the middle of hurracaine season!

Chat soon xxx

Believe me you will be hooked after your first one! To me it does not even compare to a beach holiday now :D

One question for any other Celebartion sailers, are there any parts of the ship that my 14 and 16 yr old will not be allowed in. As we sailed alone before and there were no children on there ( well a minority) I never took it in?

Hi,

we're not on the Christmas cruise but board on the 29th for the New Year. We'll have our 14 year old son with us so will watch this thread with interest too.

Although we've done quite a few cruises before it will be our first time on Thomson so we were wondering the same thing.

Julie

Hi Zetarose :)

We've been on 6 Thomson cruises now and number 7 has been booked for the Carribbean next year. We've booked for March 22nd and we are doing both itineries as we didn't fancy spending a week on a beach (we're too used to cruising now).

I don't know which is the best time to go really although I usually think that the more expensive it is must be the best time weather wise!!! I just looked in the brochure and the sunshine hours and rainfall etc, also March wasn't the most expensive. There are hurricanes etc in the Carribbean at the moment (one's just on its way to Florida) and when I went the Orlando a few years ago, there were about 7 or 8 happening in August/September before we went in October, so it looks like our summer months are the months to avoid.

I think there are some jabs you may need to have, your doctor will know which ones. I've already had all mine as I went to Sri Lanka in February and I don't think you need Malaria tablets. I didn't need them for Sri Lanka. I haven't seen anything mentioned about needing a Visa in the brochure.

We've also got the AI package for the 2 weeks as well. It was about £298 each but that only works out at £20 per day and if it's hot you tend to drink a lot of soft drinks and cocktails so it soon mounts up as the cocktails are £2.95 each. I know people say that you are off the ship all day, but if you only do half day excursions then you are back on in the afternoon, so you have your drinks again then. Also it's nice to have a nice coffee/biscuit after your meal and that would normally be charged if not on AI. You can get free tea/coffee in the Lido buffet restaurant 24/7 but it's not as nice as the fresh ones.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise, I'm sure it won't be your last and I look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Smiffy1951

Janet:)

We've been on 6 Thomson cruises now and number 7 has been booked for the Carribbean next year. We've booked for March 22nd and we are doing both itineries as we didn't fancy spending a week on a beach (we're too used to cruising now).

I don't know which is the best time to go really although I usually think that the more expensive it is must be the best time weather wise!!! I just looked in the brochure and the sunshine hours and rainfall etc, also March wasn't the most expensive. There are hurricanes etc in the Carribbean at the moment (one's just on its way to Florida) and when I went the Orlando a few years ago, there were about 7 or 8 happening in August/September before we went in October, so it looks like our summer months are the months to avoid.

I think there are some jabs you may need to have, your doctor will know which ones. I've already had all mine as I went to Sri Lanka in February and I don't think you need Malaria tablets. I didn't need them for Sri Lanka. I haven't seen anything mentioned about needing a Visa in the brochure.

We've also got the AI package for the 2 weeks as well. It was about £298 each but that only works out at £20 per day and if it's hot you tend to drink a lot of soft drinks and cocktails so it soon mounts up as the cocktails are £2.95 each. I know people say that you are off the ship all day, but if you only do half day excursions then you are back on in the afternoon, so you have your drinks again then. Also it's nice to have a nice coffee/biscuit after your meal and that would normally be charged if not on AI. You can get free tea/coffee in the Lido buffet restaurant 24/7 but it's not as nice as the fresh ones.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise, I'm sure it won't be your last and I look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Smiffy1951

Smiffy1951

Smiffy1951

Hi all:)

Looks like I got a bit carried away on the last comment but it didn't say it had been sent so I kept trying and in the end gave up.

Looks like it did go in the first place - WHOOPS!!!!!!

Smiffy1951

Janet

Hi Scarymary:rolleyes:

I know, what a nightmare:confused: When I clicked on the submit reply box it didn't actually seem to send cos it kept staying on the same page, so I kept trying it again. Even then it didn't say it had gone so I gave up in the end. That will teach me to be so impatient.:D :D

Smiffy1951

Janet

Hi Smiffy,thanks for your 3 replies,were you making sure I read them:D

I went to Florida a few yrs ago in Aug and it was very hot but raining,was like having a warm shower!We went home just as a hurracaine was approcahing but still saw storms with huge lightning strikes which made telephone poles set fire,kids thought it was great to watch while I cowered in the corner.

I have to book my hols in advance at work so bit difficult to know when to book them,can never decide what months I would like to take off,would like to go to the carribean but not when its hurracaine season,I want the wind in my hair not a tornado!

Think its the white sandy beaches,clear blue seas and stunning scenery that appeals to me,will have to look into it further and have an idea what months to book off work.

Hi Zetarose:)

Glad you got the message (or should I say messages):D :D :D

I think that usually our summer months are the worst months to go to the Carribbean. There was a hurricane out there at the beginning of the week. I'm hoping March will be okay.

I'm looking forward to the duty free shopping in St Maarten and hoping to see some whales and dolphins somewhere. I also like the idea of walking through waterfalls. It looks absolutely idyllic when you see pictures in the brochure, let's hope it lives up to them.

Smiffy1951

Hi Smiffy,sounds a wonderful cruise,plz let me know how it went,would love to go carribean,what ship are you going on and which itinerary?How many nights are you going for,need as much info as poss so I can plan my next cruise;) :D

Just locked into this discussion, and can absolutely tell you that Christmas in Madeira is magic. We have been there twice over Christmas, and the lights in Funchal are set up sometime in November. The street parties, sponsored by local folk groups, are "different" and you haven't tasted Madeira Wine, until you have drunk it straight from a sheep's skin, poured by a local farmer [gives a different meaning to "having a skinful!!!"] Last year, we were leaving on Hogmanay, and 15 cruise ships were expected for the fireworks that night. 11 had arrived before we left, and as we waited at the airport, the horizon was just a line of cruise ships heading to Funchal. The locals are very friendly, and there is absolutely no concern about being out and about at night. The Madeira Botanical garden is well worth a visit, and don't be surprised to meet Santa wearing his red suit and "shades"!!!!

We have chosen to spend Christmas week there both times in a hotel. The first year we were at the Riu Palace in Canico, a first class hotel but just a bit out of the way, with a 20 min "roller-coaster" bus ride into Funchal. The second time (last year) we stayed at the Cliff Bay Hotel in Funchal, a much better location, only 10 minutes walk to the harbour and promenade, but a 30 minute walk back, due to the hills and maybe the wine!!!!

Being a Cruise Ship 'GEEK', I invariably saw them in and out if possible. The largest I've seen, by far was the Queen Victoria. Try GOOGLING Madeira Web and you will find webcams which show the harbour and any Cruise Ships which are visiting.

Enjoy Madeira.

Hi Zeetarose:)

We are going on the Destiny which is my favourite Thomson ship (although I haven't been on the Celebration yet).

We are doing both itineries called Coral Islands and Caribbean Gems starting and ending in Dominican Republic. It's 14 nights. We booked this one before we'd even started our last cruise on the Destiny in June (Jewels of the Med).

Can't wait, it's somewhere I've always wanted to go. We met a couple on the Jewels of the Med cruise this year who are booked on the same cruise on the same date - spooky!!!!

Smiffy1951

Janet:) :)

Hiya Smiffy,hope you have a great time on your cruises,Im still very interested in visiting the carribean but not sure what month I should go or which ship.Also will need to save like mad or pay something each month after paying deposit,so later on in the year would probably suit me better as long as Im not caught up in their hurricane season:eek:

Hi Zetarose:)

I think the Destiny is the only Thomson ship doing the Caribbean at the moment. Like you I don't know which months are the best so I will just have to wait and see what the weather is like when we go.

We are saving like mad at the minute as it does cost a lot mainly because we upgrade our cabin and pay for the AI package as well, so I suppose we've only got ourselves to blame. But hey, you may as well enjoy it once you're there!!!

Smiffy1951

Janet:D

Archived