FYI: 20% increase in service charge, effective January 1, 2009

lambs2

I agree with and accept the $2 increase, but I'm still astonished that they raised the $40 charge for a bar set-up in your cabin to $80 and $100!! We sailed last April on the Star and Absolut and Dewars White label were $40 each ...now Absolut is $80 and they only offer Glenfiddish (sp?) for $100. Yikes! Are they trying to regain their expense output for their 2.0 program all at once or what!?!:eek:

Now that's a big increase!

I'm not so sure if they're trying to make up for 2.0 though. It's probably to offset the losses from all the alchohol smuggling! :D

Happy Cruising! :)

I agree with and accept the $2 increase, but I'm still astonished that they raised the $40 charge for a bar set-up in your cabin to $80 and $100!! We sailed last April on the Star and Absolut and Dewars White label were $40 each ...now Absolut is $80 and they only offer Glenfiddish (sp?) for $100. Yikes! Are they trying to regain their expense output for their 2.0 program all at once or what!?!:eek:

I think the intent of the bar set up is for the passenger to enjoy a drink in his or her room. I think it has become common for people to carry the bottle, in some manner around the ship. Whether it be brought to the pool or other public areas there seem to be more threads where people are adding it to sodas and/or smoothies.

Are you sure? I think Absolute is $60, but I could be wrong. Glendinnish I don't know, but I do agree, it is out of line. What they have done is followed Celebrity that raised their prices 2 years ago: watch the rest follow....

Nita

All of the cruise lines play mind games with the passengers and in fact do a disservice to the crew. The $10 a day fee is not a tip but they (all the cruise lines) kind of make you think this is your fee for tips for the crew. So then most people don't tip at all because they think they already did. Why the heck don't they just include the fee in the cost of the trip instead of playing games with everyone to make you think you're getting a better deal than you actually are? When you add the cost of "the fee", specialty restaurants, fuel charges, etc., it isn't nearly as inexpensive to cruise as they would have you believe. If they included this "fee" and didn't separate it out and didn't let people believe it had something to do with tipping I think the crew members would actually get much better tips from travelers.

I always thought the $10 pp per day was more then reasonable. Quite honestly, IMO an increase to $12 is still very reasonable and in many instances that extra tip is well deserved and has always been appreciated but NEVER expected.

The automatic gratuity on Renaissance back in the winter of 2001 was $12/day.

All of the cruise lines play mind games with the passengers and in fact do a disservice to the crew. The $10 a day fee is not a tip but they (all the cruise lines) kind of make you think this is your fee for tips for the crew. So then most people don't tip at all because they think they already did. Why the heck don't they just include the fee in the cost of the trip instead of playing games with everyone to make you think you're getting a better deal than you actually are? When you add the cost of "the fee", specialty restaurants, fuel charges, etc., it isn't nearly as inexpensive to cruise as they would have you believe. If they included this "fee" and didn't separate it out and didn't let people believe it had something to do with tipping I think the crew members would actually get much better tips from travelers.

Because you're wrong, and the daily fee IS a tip, that's why.

Because you're wrong, and the daily fee IS a tip, that's why.

Well if I'm wrong then why does it say that the service fee supports the staffs salary and incentives and if you feel someone went the extra mile feel free to tip them? That makes me believe that the cruise line is not considering this the crews tips but rather we're being forced to subsidize their inadequate salaries so that the cruise lines don't have to pay them what they should. Like I said before....they should stop playing games, include the service fee in the cost of the cruise and let people tip the people who give them good service like we do other places. I have absolutely no problem tipping for good service so please don't anyone say otherwise, that's not what this is about. This system they have in place is just a little screwed up to me.

That makes me believe that the cruise line is not considering this the crews tips but rather we're being forced to subsidize their inadequate salaries so that the cruise lines don't have to pay them what they should.

You "believe" wrong. Every server in a restaurant is paid an "inadequate" salary because the practice in this country is for customers to tip in the 15-20% range, which makes up the bulk of a server's earnings. The same is true for crew on a cruise ship. I suspect it's because so many cheapskates left the ship without tipping (not YOU, of course) that cruise lines are moving to applying this as a charge to your account.

The soon-to-be-$12 per day charge is in fact your gratuity. If you believe differently, well...your problem. But please stop misleading others here with your uninformed "belief."

You "believe" wrong. Every server in a restaurant is paid an "inadequate" salary because the practice in this country is for customers to tip in the 15-20% range, which makes up the bulk of a server's earnings. The same is true for crew on a cruise ship. I suspect it's because so many cheapskates left the ship without tipping (not YOU, of course) that cruise lines are moving to applying this as a charge to your account.

The soon-to-be-$12 per day charge is in fact your gratuity. If you believe differently, well...your problem. But please stop misleading others here with your uninformed "belief."

Sorry...but you don't need to be so rude. Are you saying I'm not allowed to post if it my opinion/belief doesn't agree with you or someone else? I'm entitled to my beliefs and my opinion just like everyone else who posts on this board. If everyone was of the same opinion there would never be a reason to debate a subject now would there?

Sorry...but you don't need to be so rude. Are you saying I'm not allowed to post if it my opinion/belief doesn't agree with you or someone else? I'm entitled to my beliefs and my opinion just like everyone else who posts on this board. If everyone was of the same opinion there would never be a reason to debate a subject now would there?

The $12 per day is a gratuity, no ifs, ands, buts--or uninformed "beliefs" to the contrary. It's not a "belief." It's a fact. Saying you believe differently is like saying black is white. It isn't. You are misleading others into thinking they are expected to tip above and beyond the $12. They aren't. They may choose to, as NCL suggests, if they feel it is warranted. Let's stop giving readers here false information causing them to spend their money unnecessarily. That's rude. Irresponsible, too.

The problem with that is beliefs and opionions skew facts. And it can be misleading to others who look here for guidance.

You can have beliefs and opionions on things that are not tangible. But if the service charge actually is compensation then "your feelings" don't change that.

I don't want to be rude...

When I was in Australia everything costs more... in the restaurants you don't tip - it's built in the price of a meal which is substantially higher than the norm I'm used to - but it's lke "When in Rome..."

Again, this is the NCL policy and if you disagree to such an extent that you harbor resentment, perhaps you should take the "freestyle walk" through the yellow pages and find another cruise line.

You people are way too full of yourselves. I harbor no resentment against NCL and will in fact have a wonderful cruise and I will tip the people that give me great service. I take EVERYTHING I read here with a grain of salt and I go straight to the cruise line to get the final word if I'm unsure of anything. Whatever is written here is only an individuals thoughts or experience which might not be my thoughts or my experience. To say that I'm not allowed to voice a thought, opinion, belief, or idea is rediculous. There are some great, kind, compassionate, tolerant, people who post on these boards...and then there are those who are not. I'm finished with this topic and the posters who can't respond in a civilized, polite, grownup, fashion.

But you want to tell us what the Cruise Lines think and do and that they play mind games on us? And you call us names.

I wonder if this applies to people who have already booked their cruises? or just new bookings?

This email came from our TA today, so it seems official: the new 12% fee apply to ALL sailings beginning January 1 even if you pre-booked a year or two ago:

Please be advised that Norwegian Cruise Line has announced a new service charge will take effect in 2009. Effective January 1, 2009, service charges will increase to $12 per guest/per day. These charges will be applicable to all guests ages three and over and for sailings departing on or after January 1, 2009.

It would have been kinder though to head this thread $2 increase instead of 20%. That's a scary title. :rolleyes:

It could have read up to 120% increase because that's what the kids price went up to..

I have no problem with the charge going up from $10-$12 but why couldn't they raise the childrens rate from $5-$7 instead of $12? Since I've booked my 10 day cruise the fuel surcharge & now the service charge has added almost $200 to the price of my cruise and I haven't even left port yet!!

I can handle an extra $20 each for DW & I but an EXTRA $70 for the 3rd person in the cabin is a bit excessive to me.

It could have read up to 120% increase because that's what the kids price went up to..

I have no problem with the charge going up from $10-$12 but why couldn't they raise the childrens rate from $5-$7 instead of $12? Since I've booked my 10 day cruise the fuel surcharge & now the service charge has added almost $200 to the price of my cruise and I haven't even left port yet!!

I can handle an extra $20 each for DW & I but an EXTRA $70 for the 3rd person in the cabin is a bit excessive to me.

That may be the fault of the way my TA worded their email that I quoted in my first post above. The NCL web site words it this way although the service charge for children 3 -12 is not SPECIFICALLY addressed, perhaps and most probably it is NOT being raised from the $5. per day starting Jan. 1, 2009. I do think NCL should address this, quickly, on their web site!

NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009).

I say po-tah-to!

This thread reminds me of an old song!

In truth does it matter if it's called a "service charge" or a "tip"? It's the same thing. When I go to any of my neighborhood restaurants with a group of six the bill comes with an 18% service charge (tip) added.

Why is that? To protect the poor waitress from presenting a $118 bill and the group chipping in $20 a piece so the waitress gets a whopping $2 for running all night.

I figure I actually save money when the bar tab has 15% added, if I bought 2 beers for $6 I would leave $1 in a bar, on board the bartender gets 90 cents.

I am one of those who live happily with the "service charge" or "tip" I don't have to think (I try to close down the brain on vacation) I can budget more effectivly, I don't have to run around to find staff I liked, color me happy.

And I don't feel terrible when I don't leave extra, yes I'm admitting that I don't regularly leave extra.

You say to-may-to

I say to-mah-to

Let's call the whole thing off

i have no problem with the 20% increase..it nominal and a nice

cost of living raise for the little people working their butts off..

now if i could only get a 20% cost of living raise..:(

what i do have a problem with is the surcharges add d to the

Endless Summer and Trattoria on the Star..:mad: probalbly fleet wide

as well..

so they should advertise..*Do whatever, at your own expense*

That may be the fault of the way my TA worded their email that I quoted in my first post above. The NCL web site words it this way although the service charge for children 3 -12 is not SPECIFICALLY addressed, perhaps and most probably it is NOT being raised from the $5. per day starting Jan. 1, 2009. I do think NCL should address this, quickly, on their web site!

NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009).

you are right, it needs to clarified. AS for the increase, if it does affect the children as well, this could be due to the fact all or most all other lines do not give a break to kids.

Nita

I say po-tah-to!

This thread reminds me of an old song!

In truth does it matter if it's called a "service charge" or a "tip"? It's the same thing. When I go to any of my neighborhood restaurants with a group of six the bill comes with an 18% service charge (tip) added.

Why is that? To protect the poor waitress from presenting a $118 bill and the group chipping in $20 a piece so the waitress gets a whopping $2 for running all night.

I figure I actually save money when the bar tab has 15% added, if I bought 2 beers for $6 I would leave $1 in a bar, on board the bartender gets 90 cents.

I am one of those who live happily with the "service charge" or "tip" I don't have to think (I try to close down the brain on vacation) I can budget more effectivly, I don't have to run around to find staff I liked, color me happy.

And I don't feel terrible when I don't leave extra, yes I'm admitting that I don't regularly leave extra.

You say to-may-to

I say to-mah-to

Let's call the whole thing off

you don't need to feel terrible, alot agree with you. some of us do leave more to a few special crew members, but they should not and do not expect it.

Nita

NCL Service Charge

According to the email I got from my TA I also understood that the the new charge was $12 for all passengers 3 and up starting Jan 1. I called my TA and asked if since I was booked already would I be grandfathered in like we were with the added fuel surcharge. I was told no, he kept me on the phone while he called NCL and tried to get a shipboard credit or something and they said no. So I called NCL to see what the deal was and they said I was grandfathered in at the old service charge. Now I'm confused who to believe..

According to the email I got from my TA I also understood that the the new charge was $12 for all passengers 3 and up starting Jan 1. I called my TA and asked if since I was booked already would I be grandfathered in like we were with the added fuel surcharge. I was told no, he kept me on the phone while he called NCL and tried to get a shipboard credit or something and they said no. So I called NCL to see what the deal was and they said I was grandfathered in at the old service charge. Now I'm confused who to believe..

Butch, did you get the name of the NCL representative that told you the above? My TA says that the new service charge rates will apply to our January 09 booking, so this is all a bit confusing for those who booked under the old policy. In our pereonal case, we recently rebooked our cabin due to a price drop and upgraded our cabin so we probably lost any chance of being "grandfathered in" , I'll bet, because we have a different booking number from our original one. I wonder what cut-off date they are using to determine who stays at 10% and who gets bumped to 12% if the scenario you described is the truth!

Thanks for clarifying the 3rd and 4th.

I also tip more anyway BUT from paying $210 a week for my family of 4 to $336 PLUS the fuel charge that has been added on in the past year ( for 4)...I need to add up how much an all inclusive resort will cost me for the same time period. I unfortunately always cruise during PEAK school holidays so it may now come to preference when in the past cruising was always less expensive and a better vacation IMO.

I am curious about the increase also. Granted it is only $21 more a week for a family of three but I am curious. I always thought that $3.50 a day for someone to clean your room was cheap. If you break down that $2 increase, that is nothing to anyone working on the cruise lines.

I am also looking into changing my room location but I am curious about the $10 or $12 amount also.

Archived