Allure of the Seas

bug18

What is the Allure of the Seas??? I thought I was pretty much in the loop with these things, but this is the first time I've seen this name/ship. What gives?

It's the second ship in the Oasis Class. There are only two scheduled to be in this class.

It's the second ship in the Oasis Class. There are only two scheduled to be in this class.

Oh ok. I kinda thought that was the deal, but with all the hoopla over the Oasis, I didn't even think they had started a 2nd ship the same size. Good to know.

I was wondering today whether the gensis class ship(s) would ever sail in the Med.? Do you think they will be too big to berth in European ports? I'm planning a Med cruise for summer 2010 and I know the Oasis won't be there (according to the published sailing schedule), but I'm just curious where these behemouths (sp?) will be able to go besides the Caribbean.

Oh ok. I kinda thought that was the deal, but with all the hoopla over the Oasis, I didn't even think they had started a 2nd ship the same size. Good to know.

I was wondering today whether the gensis class ship(s) would ever sail in the Med.? Do you think they will be too big to berth in European ports. I'm planning a Med cruise for summer 2010 and I know the Oasis won't be there (according to the published sailing schedule), but I'm just curious where these behemouths (sp?) will be able to go besides the Caribbean.

I am a port engineer, so I can say with certainty that ports around the world are designing their ports to make sure the Oasis class can call there. Her draft is actually less than the QM2. She is wider and longer than the QM2, but many times, it is the draft that is limiting. Since QM2 travels the world, I would expect in 5 years, Oasis will do the same (not by 2010 though).

RCCL has repeatedly said that the Oasis class of ships is designed specifically for the calm waters of the Caribbean and is not expected to ever leave there except for promotional cruises. I would expect an Oasis 3-5 but with a slightly different design (like freedom to voyager) that allowed it to sail in rougher waters. The biggest problem seems like it would be how open central park (with all it's climate sensitive plants) and the boardwalk are. They would need to at least put a retractable glass roof over central park if not both, as well as change what plants are used. I would say not to expect Oasis 1 or 2 in the Mediterranean but don't count the design out entirely.

Yes, I understand the draft is usually the issue in areas that are highly susceptible to build-up of sand etc and where there may be little dredging. I was in the international shipping biz myself for quite awhile. But having never done a Med cruise, I wasn't sure what the status of those ports would be. Thanks for the information! And not to worry, 2010 won't be my last year of cruising!! :D

RCCL has repeatedly said that the Oasis class of ships is designed specifically for the calm waters of the Caribbean and is not expected to ever leave there except for promotional cruises. I would expect an Oasis 3-5 but with a slightly different design (like freedom to voyager) that allowed it to sail in rougher waters. The biggest problem seems like it would be how open central park (with all it's climate sensitive plants) and the boardwalk are. They would need to at least put a retractable glass roof over central park if not both, as well as change what plants are used. I would say not to expect Oasis 1 or 2 in the Mediterranean but don't count the design out entirely.

RCI constantly amazes me with their innovations. I would NEVER count them out of anything....that's for sure. But you are probably spot on about the structural issue of rougher seas and the plant thing (never really thought about that one). I suppose once the Oasis (gensis class) ships got to the Med, they would be fine. But the TA crossing might not be so good. Me thinks we need to study the engineering specs a bit! :D

Archived