Hawaiian Shirts on Hawaiian Cruises

enbe

On our Hawaiian cruise last December Hawaiian shirts were NOT worn on formal nights. There were several Hawaiian Casual nights where most people wore them.

Desertbelle - you say there were several Hawaiin casual nights - on other Princess Cruises we have taken all the other nights apart from formal are smart/casual, but is it different on the Hawaiin cruises?

Desertbelle - you say there were several Hawaiin casual nights - on other Princess Cruises we have taken all the other nights apart from formal are smart/casual, but is it different on the Hawaiin cruises?

I'd like to know that too, as I thought there wasn't any difference.

We'll be on the Island Princess in Dec.

Minette

Opps, my bad. My Hawaiian cruise was on the Legend of the Seas, I should have made that clear. I guess Princess and RCI might do it differently. None the less, I still wouldn't think Hawaiian shirts would be OK on a formal night, no matter what cruise line.

When we were in Hawaii only the turists wore hawaian shirts
That's not correct. We often travel to Hawaii and know many locals there. It is quite common for Aloha (Hawaiian) shirts to be worn as office-wear and for all kinds of different occasions. The colours, design, and fabric of the shirt determine the appropriateness - eg. whether it's worn as casual wear, dining out, or even more formal events like weddings.

However, it is true that the brightest and flashiest shirts are worn by the tourists! ;)

As for cruises, it seems that they stick to standard cruiseline dress codes regardless of where the ship is cruising. I think it would be kind of nice to see formal Aloha-wear on Hawaiian cruises.

ell

ell52, I agree with you! I've been to Hawaii many times and seen many locals in Hawaii wear...Even at upscale restaurants. I took my dad on a cruise to Hawaii and he wore a very nice tropical hawaii shirt with a black suit on formal night and he didn't look bad at all. He was more dressed up than many of them, some people need to lighten up because geez its a cruise to Hawaii, it should be appropriate to wear Hawaii clothing...I should add many other people wore tropical dresses and some couples had matching tropical clothing. The wife wore the dress and the man had the same print shirt with a suit. Many looked very nice and appropriate...I see nothing wrong with it at all....:) Just have fun and enjoy your vacation....:p

A year ago we took Legend of the Seas from Vancouver to Hawaii, stayed in Honolulu a week, and then cruised back to Ensenada on Radiance of the Seas. That was THE BEST vacation ever. My DH used to work the Hawaiian Islands so we each had Aloha wear. On the formal nights closest to island visits he wore a Hawaiian dress shirt - white, 3/4 sleeves - something one might wear to a wedding in Hawaii. I wore a simple but dressy Muumu. Granted we were the only ones dressed like that but we got lots of good comments on our attire! Some of the dining room staff seemed to be particularly impressed that we would "go native" so to speak. It was fun and we felt perfectly comfortable. I know I wouldn't have been comfortable with him in a typical Hawaiian print shirt on formal nights, but on casual nights that would be just fine and I would think very appropriate.

This is a great thread. Does this mean that my SO can wear her Mu Mu and I can wear the Hawaii Wedding shirt that I bought 20 years ago on our first Hawaii cruise on the old USS Constitution. That is if I can still fit into it? I only gained a few pounds since then. (Maby 80 or 90)

Archived