Prince Albert II

travelken

We are on the 9/17 Sea of Cortez Cruse, Acapulco to LA. Our TA has told us that there are only 16 cabins sold. I am curious to see if they cancel this cruise, but I am very much looking forward to this experience. We have sailed SS several times, but this should be a completely different experience.

We received an e-mail from Silversea. Voyages #7816 and #7828 on the Prince Albert II, 12 days Mexican Riviera, are now on special, (30+20)% discount for Venetian members for $3,600 ($300 per diem). We ain't going, we have been on that route twice, in 2004 and again last December as part of our Panama Canal voyage. For folks interested, follow it up with Silversea!

We paid our deposit for Jun9 Papeete to Lautoka today.

I hope they don't cancel cruises if they don't fill....the itinerary is fabulous. All those south Pacific islands that are hard to get between.

I suppose I should add a ticker...

This may be more info than you want, but my TA was aboard last week and here are his comments (with his permission): "Very SS in look, style and quality...considering this is expedition cruising the ship is more than adequate. Interior is very SS with soft tones and upscale look. The accommodations have the SS look and are very nice, even the Vista and View Suites are very nice...Upper category suites have separate tub and shower. The restaurant looks like other SS vessels and the service...was SS service. The Panorama Lounge is nice and cozy. Observation Lounge is bright with 180 degrees of windows...There is a slight incline in the hallway from Deck 7 lobby area up to the (larger) Suites. The forward elevator for two services all ship decks. There is no pool but two hot tubs on Deck 6 aft at the Outdoor Grill and Bar areas. There are a number of raised bulkhead areas on many decks in corridors which you need to step over and are marked as caution areas. The Library is very large and comfortable for an expedition ship and there are 4 internet cafe stations in the Library." Tahiti is looking better all the time!!

Just curious, you mean that elevator carries only two people? Must be like a cage .. LOL

That's good for us because it makes it less attractive to users...we are right beside it!

There is another lifts (to use the Australian vernacular) in the centre of the ship.

Remember there are on 132 pax max... half a cloud/wind or 1/3 a Sahdow Whisper

IME not everyone will use the lift to go 1 floor or 2..I know Mr Waldo wont

Never use the elevator when cruising--doing the stairs is part of my "keep off the excessive weight gain" program.

Can't wait to cruise on this ship. We would have gone this year had not all our vacation days already been taken up with other plans. Hope to do Antarctic or Chile next fall.

• 3 weeks later...
We were on the 7/30 iceland/greenland/canada cruise. I just posted a review--take a look. We were in cabin 402, and it was not huge, but was more than adequate.

The complain that I have heard more often is exactly regarding the size of cabins. According to some passengers they are smaller than those on the other ships, although I think they are quite confortable...

• 1 month later...

Greetings All

I have heard form my TA that the PA II balconies are no more than French Balconies - similar to a look-out. I'm envisioning the balconies on Seabourne like.

We are considering booking the PA for French Polynesia in 2009 and always prefer a balcony but have concerns if the balcony is no more tha a Romeo & Juliete look out perch :eek: - considering the cost differentials.

If anyone has images or validated info - we would very much appreciate your in-put.

Also - can anyone chime in as to what the history of this ship is in terms of prior ownership and aka names?

Thanks very much!:)

"Can anyone chime in as to what the history of this ship is in terms of prior ownership and aka names?"

What I have pieced together is that the vessel was previously an expedition ship called "World Discoverer" owned or leased by Society Expeditions. We were on her on an Alaskan cruise in summmer 1999. The ship ran into a reef in the Souith Pacific some times later and the captain beached it on an island to avoid it sinking.

I am unclear what happened afterwards, i.e. whether the ship was repaired or a new vessel build. In the aftermath of 9/11 I believe Society Esxpedition went under, the creditors seized the ship and sold it.

I have not verified this, so can't guarantee this is 100% accurate, but maybe someone else can add to it.

The "balconies" on PA seem to be more like the French/Seabourn type ones, based on the SS Voyage Atlas and brochures we have seen for PA, but I am sure folks who have been on PA can answer this more precisely.

"Can anyone chime in as to what the history of this ship is in terms of prior ownership and aka names?"

What I have pieced together is that the vessel was previously an expedition ship called "World Discoverer" owned or leased by Society Expeditions. We were on her on an Alaskan cruise in summmer 1999. The ship ran into a reef in the Souith Pacific some times later and the captain beached it on an island to avoid it sinking.

I am unclear what happened afterwards, i.e. whether the ship was repaired or a new vessel build. In the aftermath of 9/11 I believe Society Esxpedition went under, the creditors seized the ship and sold it.

I have not verified this, so can't guarantee this is 100% accurate, but maybe someone else can add to it.

The "balconies" on PA seem to be more like the French/Seabourn type ones, based on the SS Voyage Atlas and brochures we have seen for PA, but I am sure folks who have been on PA can answer this more precisely.

MJN1 London

Thanks very much for your info, this is helpful.:)

Leah, RN

Archived