taking an adopted child on cruise

itsrikkig

the child will need a birth certificate/passport. if the adoption is new, the birth certificate may not have been received yet. also, when i took my dd for her passport (my dh adopted her a few years back) we brought along a certified copy of the court order just to be safe and they did ask for it. this may have been due to her name change.

what info is needed for taking an adopted child on a cruise. both parents will be with her.

thanks

rikki

Is the adoption finalized? if so you should have a new birth certificate. If not you probably should stay home. You will need the custody papers, and that still might not do it.... call the cruise line if its not finalized...

We took our 2 adopted children on a cruise and had no problems, but just wanted to share what we did...

Our children are Korean, we are Caucasian.

They were 3 and 5 at the time, and we took passports, bc and copies of our court order stating we are the parents(we had to order these when we finalized, because now the records are sealed.)

We did have issues when reentering the USA, but that is due to the fact we named our son John, and we call him Jack. He forgot all the rehearsing and told the BCIS guy that his name was "Jack, and this is my friend Monkey(stuffed) I have a passport for him too"(thanks auntie fun fun)

So, since he didn't tell the guy his name was John, he was taken aside to a room with glass wall(we could see him the whole time)! My dh is an attorney for the US Govt...he calmly explained everything, got out all our paper, and then threatened to make a few phone calls(numbers in his cell phone of people with certain influence) and Jack skipped out to us saying...."Why couldn't you have named me Jack for my big name!"

So no adoption issues, just silly boy issues!

Mary Anne

Is the adoption finalized? if so you should have a new birth certificate. If not you probably should stay home. You will need the custody papers, and that still might not do it.... call the cruise line if its not finalized...

no it is not final yet. we do not plan on going on a cruise with her until it is finalized. thank you all for your help

rikki

you can't get a passport without a birth certificate(if the child was born in the US). With the finalize adoption the court orders a new birth certificate with you as parents on it. How long it takes to actually get varies by jurisdiction. The certified final adoption papers can get it for you faster sometimes. if the child wasn't born in the US. CBP(INS) will need to issue a new citizen papers under their rules....which can take forever....and then you can get a passport.

What you need to do is check with whatever cruise line you have decided to finally take the cruise with and see what their requirements for that particular cruise will be. Often, when dealing with these issues we forget that we are visiting foreign countries and the laws of those countries dictate as well as those of the United States. If you visit four different ports, they may have totally different requirements as well as what the US requires. Check with the cruiseline, get whatever they say in writing, bring the documents they require as well as the letter stating what those requirements will be.

Archived