I got a visit.....

bobbyfk

from the upgrade fairy:D :D

got upgraded for our Miracle cruise from cat 4A cabin to cat 8G cabin. cost $200 per person to upgrade but it was worth it

(well i should not say that my grandparents are treating me and my dad)

:D :D

Oh - it doesn't matter! We are sailing before you and we are gonna keep the Miracle out longer than planned! Maybe take a little trip around the world :D ;) I wish! lol! Congrats on your upgrade - it is for you anyway since your grandparents are treating!! :)

from the upgrade fairy:D :D

got upgraded for our Miracle cruise from cat 4A cabin 1198 to cat 8G cabin XXXX. cost $200 per person to upgrade but it was worth it

(well i should not say that my grandparents are treating me and my dad)

:D :D

So where's the upgrade from the fairy?:confused: :D

Don't post your cabin number,too many sicko's out there.

Steve

Sounds like an UP SALE to me....:rolleyes:

I always thought of an upgrade as something you rec'd FREE???

why does someone always have to chime in and get picky about the word, every time someone is all happy with what they got. picky picky picky. Why do you care what word they used. You know what they meant.

I don't get it either firefly.

The word upsell is a verb, so it isn't something you receive. An upsell is the practice, or the act of trying to persuade someone to buy a more expensive product, or in this case a better cabin.

Upgrade can be a noun or verb, and when used as noun has these meanings. 2.an increase or improvement 3.a new version, improved model, etc. 4.an increase or improvement in one's service, accommodations, privileges, or the like

Notice that nowhere does it say it is free! You can be given an upgrade or you can call in to buy an upgrade. Or yes, the cruise line can call and upsell you to an upgraded cabin. Either way, in the end what you received is an upgrade.

I just got an upgrade to my computer monitor, and it certainly wasn't free! ;)

All that being said, can't people just congratulate the OP on their deal and quit trying to nitpick over terminology.

congrats bobby!

bobbyfk,,,,,

Wow,,,, I am really sorry. I wasn't trying to start a heated discussion, HONEST. I didn't realize that I was saying something that would be taken so seriously.

I am happy for you, CONGRATS, I would rather be in a balcony anytime than in an inside cabin.

firefly & hotjav, That being said I will try to refrain from posting on any future topics and just stick to my roll call thread.

pjtulsa- don't feel like you need to stop posting. and im sorry if you were surprised by the reaction. perhaps you didn't realize that this has been an ongoing thing with cc lately, and that is the source my frustration, as well as firefly's im sure.

there have been other threads like this one, as there seems to be a recent effort by Carnival to do this. some people have made it a hobby to "correct" the OP when they come on to tell about their experience with getting the offer.

it has made some feel like they were sorry they even posted the news to begin with. Im sorry if my comments made you feel that way too!! :mad:

bobbyfk,,,,,

Wow,,,, I am really sorry. I wasn't trying to start a heated discussion, HONEST. I didn't realize that I was saying something that would be taken so seriously.

I am happy for you, CONGRATS, I would rather be in a balcony anytime than in an inside cabin.

firefly & hotjav, That being said I will try to refrain from posting on any future topics and just stick to my roll call thread.

Of course I didnt mean you shouldnt keep posting. I was only referring to that this comes up every time someone posts this and then there was a hot thread, maybe last week?? that went on for pages where folks argued about the terminology. I hoped that thread was it.

Im sorry you feel like I was picking on you, I didnt mean it that way, keep posting please. I just got back home and saw your post or would have said it sooner.

There is the technical meaning of a word AND there is the common usage of the word in context. There is a common, in context, usage of the word, "upgrade" on these cruise boards. And for some YEARS now, it has meant FREE upgrade. Yes a "SOLD" or "PURCHASED" upgrade is also a technical upgrade, but nowhere near the same thing. On a previous thread I suggested "free upgrade" and "paid upgrade." Knowing that wouldn't fly. Its like "taking the high road" or "taking the low road." Both end up at the same place but are obviously different. Not wanting to have one word mean two different things is NOT a comment on the benefit, or not, to the OP. I am a well known non-fan of the upgrade fairy when she does "free upgrades" by only changing the letter. But I have not said or inferred anything bad about an "upgrade" OR "upsell" that results in a cat. NUMBER change.

The OP upgraded himself when he agreed to pay more money when Carnival made an upsell call to him and offered a sale price on a better cabin. The OP did well by taking the offer and upgrading HIMSELF THROUGH THE upsell METHOD.

When Carnival moves a cruiser to a higher cat cabin for free, THEY did the upgrade.

When Carnival moves someone from a 4A to a 4C FREE, many/most? call that an upgrade. I don't but I know I'm technically wrong. Would it be better if I called it a no account, dirty rotten, #@%^#$&, stinking, lousy, upgrade. As opposed to a good upgrade when the number, not the letter changes. Probably not.:D

If Carnival made an "UPSELL" call and offered a 4C in place of a 4A for $50.pp would you still call it a wonderful upgrade? If the person turns it down, did he refuse an upgrade, or decline a sales offer?

No question, in this case, the OP did very well. Calling it an upsell doesn't change that. But calling it an upsell, when it is, and calling it an upgrade when its free, eliminates confusion.

Dan

I just got an upgrade to my computer monitor, and it certainly wasn't free! ;)

!

How did that work? You paid in full for your monitor,and while at home the electronics store called you up and asked you if you wanted a better monitor for a price not much more than you just paid,but at a greatly discounted price off the current list of a much better one?:D

Steve

pjtulsa are you seeing why the rest of us are tired of the semantics arguments.... here we go again. folks need to hijack the thread of someone asking if this is a good upgrade and they turn the thread into a semantic dispute again and again.

pjtulsa are you seeing why the rest of us are tired of the semantics arguments.... here we go again. folks need to hijack the thread of someone asking if this is a good upgrade and they turn the thread into a semantic dispute again and again.

Upgrade UPGRADE UpGrade Upgrade UPGRADE UpGrade Upgrade UPGRADE UpGrade Upgrade UPGRADE UpGrade. Upgrade UPGRADE UpGrade Upgrade UPGRADE UpGrade.

I just called you a bunch of awful names that are not allowed on the boards. However, using the universal word that means all things to everybody, that you and perhaps, you alone insist on using. I can get away with it so, Upgrade!!:mad:

:rolleyes:Dan

But calling it an upsell, when it is, and calling it an upgrade when its free, eliminates confusion.

Dan

who was confused? I don't think confusion has been the motivation of people who insist on nitpicking on the words. And not, "IT" was not an "upsell." As I said before, the word upsell is a verb. As such, it is something one does and not an object one receives.

Bottom line is let people be.

Over, and out of this conversation.

Archived