Question about San Francisco Port

here2cruise

has anyone recently taken a cruise that disembarked in San Francisco? if so, did they take your cruise card as u disembarked? we took an alaska cruise on the Dawn Princess in July and they took our cards as we disembarked. we filed a complaint with Princess as we like to keep our cards to put in our scrapbook of each cruise plus my DH was upset as all our personal info was on that card. Princess says that the US customs and border protection for the port of san francisco has required all cruise cards to be taken as each customer disembarks. i went in the Princess boards and some said that a friend of theirs had taken another cruise line to san francisco and they didnt get their cards taken. now i'm wondering if Princess was being honest. thank you!

This has nothing to do with SF. We were on the Dawn that disembarks in Sandiego in April of this year and they took our cards. My BF was upset and try to talk them into let him keep his card. They told him that it was a Homeland security issue. Two months later we were on a Carnival ship and they let us keep our cards.

We have a plan for next time we cruise with Princess. We will "lose" our card and have to get another one. That second card we will give up as we leave the ship. The "lost" one will be found at home and put in our scrape book.

We were on the Dawn Princess in June when they collected our cards. I sent Princess an email & here is their response. The ironical part is that we did have our cards replaced during the cruise & they kept our old ones as well. I'll be losing mine on all future cruises on ALL cruise ships.

"Thank you for your correspondence regarding your cruise onboard Dawn Princess. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your concerns regarding your cruise cards, and we welcome the opportunity to respond at this time.

While we were pleased to learn you enjoyed your sailing overall, we regret to note your concerns regarding the confiscation of your cruise cards at the end of your sailing. We take all cruise cards from passengers when leaving the vessel for the last time during disembarkation. This is done for security reasons and to help us ensure that all passengers have disembarked from the ship. We can assure you that all cruise cards are immediately destroyed following their surrender at the gangway. We are sincerely sorry for any confusion and disappointment you experienced due to this situation.

Mr. and Mrs. XXXXX, again, thank you for contacting our office. Passenger satisfaction is of utmost importance to us, and we are sorry for your disappointment in this area. We are pleased you enjoyed all other areas of your sailing, and it will be our pleasure to welcome you onboard again for what, we are certain, will be a completely enjoyable holiday at sea. Until then, we send our kind regards.

Sincerely,"

Security reasons--baloney! Those cards expire when the cruise is over. They're only good for a souvenir then, and I agree, I like to keep mine as a souvenir also. Can't imagine Princess would risk ticking off its passengers over so little a thing. Just another entry in the reasons not to cruise Princess column I guess.

Security reasons--baloney! Those cards expire when the cruise is over. They're only good for a souvenir then, and I agree, I like to keep mine as a souvenir also. Can't imagine Princess would risk ticking off its passengers over so little a thing. Just another entry in the reasons not to cruise Princess column I guess.

I told the security personal that it would be the last card I'll ever give them back & I'd be "losing" mine from now on. (They didn't seem to care.) I'm going to tell as many people as I can about the cards so they'll do likewise. Perhaps Princess will wake up & change back to the way it used to be but I wouldn't let deter me from crusing with Princess.

we took an alaska cruise on the Dawn Princess in July and they took our cards as we disembarked.

This seems to be something that is done on Dawn Princess. They did not take our card in March from Island Princess, but did on Dawn in June. They say it's for security reasons, but I agree with 'happy cruiser 3131', who stated, "Security reasons--baloney!" It's just a fast response that most people won't question. This is the first time that we have ever had to turn in our cards.

Archived