What is the average age on Radisson?

MiamiNicole

My BF and I are in our mid-twenties. I am fairly sure this line attracts a more mature cruiser, but I think this line, its facilities, cuisine, and itineraries sound wonderful for a future honeymoon? Any thoughts? I have cruised many times on Celebrity and we will be on a Princess cruise this New Years? Any thoughts on your fellow passengers? Thanks for the insight!

Personally,I think it would be difficult to generalise,as cruise itinerary,and time of year,could have an influence on the age demographic.

On our September Rome/Istanbul cruise on the Diamond I would say the average age was in the 50's with the youngest being early 30's.

However,the determinant factor is what kind of cruise are you looking for?

Loads of activities/night life,or a more laidback atmosphere?

The Diamond was our first Radisson cruise,and it compared extremely well against Seabourn,and Silversea.

i agree with English Voyager. The longer, more exotic the cruise the older the average age. The shorter and more port-intensive, the younger the average age. However, I can't imagine a mid-20's couple feeling out of place on any of them. If you have concerns once on board, have a chat with the cruise director or social director. They'll go out of their way to ensure that you meet compatible cruisers.

I have never been on a Radisson cruise where there weren't some honeymooners. Like the others mentioned, it really depends upon the itinerary. You would probably find the youngest crowd on a 7 night Caribbean cruises and an older crowd on the cruises that last for 3 or more weeks (retirees). There are very very few children on most Radisson cruises which should work well with your honeymoon. You will have a wonderful honeymoon on any of the Radisson ships.

While there are always some honeymooners

-- other young couples-- Crystal, Silversea

& Seabourn appear to have a large # of

middle aged cruisers. While I agree w the above

posters that the shorter, more caribbean, the better....

if a large # of young folk for nocturnal celebrations

is a priority, you may wish to consider other

ships.

We were on Silversea w. charming honeymooners [30-35 y o]

...they were the youngest aboard and waiting to return

home to scold their travel agent.

If you can go on the PG to Tahiti, GO GO GO!!!. You will probably find a few other honeymooners and how romantic is the south Pacific.

Radisson cruisers probably tend to be a little older than average but the ones I've met are an active bunch, intersting to talk to, and very friendly.

But, the night life may not be up to the standards of 20+ year olds. For your honeymoon, create your own night life in your cabin. LOL.

We were on Silversea w. charming honeymooners [30-35 y o]

...they were the youngest aboard and waiting to return

home to scold their travel agent

Now that's the dumbest thing I've heard....rushing home to scold their TA because they were the youngest couple...give me a break! If I went on a Radisson (or any other luxury line) for a honeymoon, I'd be counting my blessings!

...is better than the best day at home! ;)

Anyway, I know on OUR honeymoon we weren't out looking for other couples our age to party with. But everyone's different. I haven't yet been on my first Radisson cruise (going in May), but from what I can tell on this board and the LCT board, it sounds as if Radisson cruisers are just the nicest, friendliest, most accepting people of any age. I'm 44, so I may be younger than many of them, but I have no doubt that I will meet many wonderful people and forge new friendships.

Still, different people have different ideas of what's fun. If you're hoping to find a hoppin' disco that parties loudly into the wee hours, I'm not sure Radisson would be the best line for you. There are other lines that probably have a more party atmosphere. I've been on RCCL and Celebrity -- RCCL definitely had a younger crowd, along with many families and children, and there were organized activities (i.e. conga lines, dance contests etc.) and parties going on in the disco almost every night, until pretty late. Celebrity was more reserved, but there were usually a number of people dancing in the disco...it just cleared out a bit earlier. I'm pretty sure my May Mediterranean cruise on Radisson will be even quieter in the evening, but then it's a REALLY port-intensive itinerary, so I suspect we'll be too tuckered out most nights to want to put on our dancing shoes.

I'm sure if you choose Radisson, you'll just be blown away by the luxury, refinement, wonderful people and fantastic food. :)

LeeAnne

Thank you for the information everyone. We have been on the other lines and I think for a honeymoon we would prefer something new and bit more fancy (not to say the other lines are not nice).

I was interested in a cruise to the South Pacific. We are not interested in nightlife (we have done that enough and have that opportunity every weekend). Just wondered if we would meet other couples (which isn't a priority, but would be nice) to converse with. We are not the most serious people and enjoy a nice drink on deck with good compnay.

3 years ago, we went on the Diamond for our honeymoon at the end of August. I was 27 and husband 31. Yes, we were one of the few younger people onboard (there were a couple of family with teenage kids). However, we really enjoyed the trip because we got to choice whether to eat alone or join other people, and the people we met onboard are all so nice and sincere (our previous cruise experience was on RCCL). We are now booked for next year going on 10 days to Tahiti on the PG before it disappear.

I would recommend RSSC to anyone (old and young) who like something different and can afford it, but not to people who wants standard cruise experience (big Broadway shows, silly contest, midnight buffet, rock wall etc).

Have fun!

Cindy

MiamiNicole, if you go on the PG to French Polynesia, you'll find the crowd is relatively younger than the other ships. But you will definitely not feel out of place on any of the Radisson ships, there are always interesting people to have drinks with, believe me! And of course the crew themselves are younger, and we enjoyed their company both on the PG and on the Diamond (the cruise directors, entertainment staff etc.)

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Charlene

Thank you for the information everyone. We have been on the other lines and I think for a honeymoon we would prefer something new and bit more fancy (not to say the other lines are not nice).

I was interested in a cruise to the South Pacific. We are not interested in nightlife (we have done that enough and have that opportunity every weekend). Just wondered if we would meet other couples (which isn't a priority, but would be nice) to converse with. We are not the most serious people and enjoy a nice drink on deck with good compnay.

I had the same question as you did about 18 months ago when I was planning my honeymoon, I am now 32 and my wife is also, we sailed Oct 24 for 10days athens to Barcelona, it was fantastic the ship Radisson Voyager was only about 50% capacity but we had a blast, met a very wide range of people, there probably was only six or seven couples our age and we had mingled and had dinner with most of them, had some nice meals and drinks with older folks also, I am booked on MINT in November leaving La for the Mexico, what has happened to me is I am spoiled for life I always wanted to go on a Celebrity cruise, but not having to take out the Supercharge card like I did a thousand times on Royal Carribeans Voyager of the seas is the way I like it. I consider myself a very picky person when it comes to service, I have found that on Radisson, I dont mind paying more and I find you get more on Radisson, when you break it down the cost is almost the same and I find the experience is far superior, I am glad I experienced Radisson early in life, It my first choice.

Hi Nicole- when are you thinking about going on your honeymoon? I've also been checking out RSSC and it looks like it would be a wonderful experience. When I sailed on Celebrity to Alaska, I was also one of the younger people. I met another guy about my age and we enjoyed meeting others and spending time with a group of people from a wide age range. I also sailed RCCL once and missed the great service, food, etc. Even though there were more younger people on this ship, I realized that it didn't compare to the Celebrity experience. After reading about RSSC, I can only imagine what it would be like on one of their ships. I'm hoping to be able to cruise on one soon as well. Good luck choosing! Tahiti sounds wonderful!

Kate

I've enjoyed reading this thread! My DH and I are tying to figure out what cruise to book for Jan. 05 and Tahiti has always been a dream. but..we have 3 kids and can really only leave them for 8 days, maybe 9 at the most. Is it worth flying to Papeete? Do you loose days in traveling? If we leave on a friday morning..do we get into Papeete on a friday? The time change thing is confusing me!! We are in our late 30's and have only cruised RCCL and would really love to try something more upscale as well!

Lisa, When you fly across the date line, you "loose" a day but never fear - you get it back when you fly home. Usually you get back home an hour or two later on the clock/calendar than you started your return. Depending on flights and where you are returning in the US, you sometimes can even get home before you started your return (i.e. you step on the plane at Noon on Friday and step off at 11 AM on Friday).

Currently, Tahiti is three hours earlier than California, and not on the other side of the date line. Actually, if you check a map, Tahiti is southEAST of Hawaii!

Tahiti doesn't do anything for the time change this sunday, though...

Our flight left LAX at 4pm local time and we were at the hotel in Tahiti by 10:30pm local time, same day. Coming back, flight left Tahiti 10pm, arrived at LAX at 9:30 am the next day.

I've enjoyed reading this thread! My DH and I are tying to figure out what cruise to book for Jan. 05 and Tahiti has always been a dream. but..we have 3 kids and can really only leave them for 8 days, maybe 9 at the most. Is it worth flying to Papeete? Do you loose days in traveling? If we leave on a friday morning..do we get into Papeete on a friday? The time change thing is confusing me!! We are in our late 30's and have only cruised RCCL and would really love to try something more upscale as well!

Lisa, depending on where you are coming from you may be booked on a Friday flight to LA, a night in a hotel with breakfast (both included with cruise fare if you go with RSSC air), Saturday flight to Papeete, board ship on Saturday (we boarded in time for a late dinner), then leave ship the next Saturday, a day room on Tahiti (included with crusie and RSSC air), late Saturday flight, arrive LA early Sunday morning, make connection home Sunday. So that is 9 days. Go for it!!!!!!

If you are close to the west coast, Radisson may not have you come out on Friday but Saturday morning. Only 8 days. YEAH!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the advice. Sounds like this line would be ideal for a romantic, upscale honeymoon. If the people on board are as friendly as the posters here I think we would have a great time even if we are only in our mid-twenties (BF looks young, has that baby face). This cruise would be in 2006!! I like to plan WAY ahead!!! Thanks!!

We were on our first Radisson cruise last month. Passengers were old!!! We are in our late fifties and mid sixties, and we felt like we were the youngest couple there. I'd say average age was 75 and higher, and they ACTED old. It was quite depressing. If this is their regular passengers, I'd have think twice about taking Radisson again. Silversea passengers are young in comparison.

But I think itenary and time of the year have a lot to do with the age of the passengers. We were on heavily disocunted one week cruise from New York to Puerto Rico, basically a repositioning cruise in a slow time of the year with no exciting ports. Before we went on this New York-Puerto Rico one, we booked another one in Mediterrenean in May. I just hope other passengers are a little more lively.

My son and daughter-in-law, both in their mid-20s, spent part of their honeymoon on the PG this past June. The ship was filled with honeymooners, as was ours, when we sailed the year before, and they had a fabulous time. Several of the couples have already had reunions because of the friendships forged. Tahiti and the surrounding islands are perfect for a honeymoon and the ship and the local hotels go out of their way to make it special and memorable. Go for it!

We were on our first Radisson cruise last month. Passengers were old!!! We are in our late fifties and mid sixties, and we felt like we were the youngest couple there. I'd say average age was 75 and higher, and they ACTED old. It was quite depressing. If this is their regular passengers, I'd have think twice about taking Radisson again. Silversea passengers are young in comparison.

But I think itenary and time of the year have a lot to do with the age of the passengers. We were on heavily disocunted one week cruise from New York to Puerto Rico, basically a repositioning cruise in a slow time of the year with no exciting ports. Before we went on this New York-Puerto Rico one, we booked another one in Mediterrenean in May. I just hope other passengers are a little more lively.

Which sailing? Are you on the May 1 Funchal - Rome cruise? We're booked on that as well, and even though it's sold out, I have yet to encounter another person booked on it, either in CruiseCritic or other cruise forums.

Regarding the ages on your cruise, I would imagine that a repositioning cruise like that would attract people who cruise just for the ship experience, which probably does mean many more seniors than younger folks who want to travel the world and see new places. I don't think it's representative of all RSSC cruises. I also agree with Ellen that the region has a large impact on the age range.

LeeAnne

Hi LeeAnne, we are booked on your cruise. This will be our 3rd Radisson cruise, we were on the PG last year and did a Med cruise on the Diamond in 2001. Re: ages, I'm 44 and my husband is 58; we made friends with younger and older people on both trips.

Kim

Archived