Anyone been on the New England Fall Cruise leaving from NY NY

Slippery when wet

I've done this cruise three times and love it. It is MUCH different from a cruise to the tropics. When you have sea days, it may be quite foggy. The weather can be changeable. Last September, I went on the last 7-day cruise. I normally wear jeans and a t-shirt, but take a fleece just in case. We walked along the water in Halifax last September and I took the fleece off because it was quite warm. Two years before that, Halifax was chilly and I needed the fleece. I also take a couple of pairs of shorts, just in case. There are few kids on the cruises once school starts, and the crowd is just a little older. You must go inland to get the full effect of the fall colors, because it seems that they are just starting to change along the water at the end of September. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much! We love cruising out of NY and are thinking of doing this one! Was it very cold in the evenings?? If so, how cool? Did you have a balcony cabin and was it warm enough to sit out on it in the evenings or early mornings?

I love cruising out of NY, too. We've done it on our 3 Canada cruises and also on our Legend/Miracle cruises to the south. It's my favorite "cruise out of" port!

It's has been cool in the evenings, but not cold. Sometimes the water can be a little bouncy, but this is the North Atlantic!! Although it has never been what I would call rough seas.

I have never had a balcony on the Canada cruises, they have all been oceanview, because I didn't think it was worth the money because of the possible weather. If I want to sit outside I can always go upstairs. If I remember correctly, they have always had the retractable roof closed in the evenings, and sometimes during the day so folks can use the pool.

We did the NE/Canada cruise last September on Princess. Our first port of call was Halifax and we went to Peggy's Cove where it was freezing...every day after that we hit temps in the 90's. Unfortunately, even though we sailed the third week of September, not a single leaf had turned color. It was a nice experience overall, but unless I was sure that I would actually see fall foliage, I wouldn't do it again. I will probably do a driving tour of NE next time I get the urge, when I can be more "last minute". Also, I agree with the previous poster...make sure you have shorts! We each had a single pair, anticipating much cooler temps...I nearly died of heatstroke in Boston, Bar Harbor, and Newport.

• 3 months later...

Archived