Royal Caribbean charging $14.95 per Steak

Terry305

If you like your steak well done on Carnival as for medium.......I like mine medium and I have to ask for medium rare.

And most of them are tough regardless........

Kurban , I agree those steaks are hard , like a shoe sole. lol

Last year my husband order one in the Fascination and did not look very good and he said it was very hard.

Also the Chateu Briand was hard last year in the Fascination, it was a weird meat cut , the meats were better in the Valor.

This is about the dumbest thread I have seen in awhile. I cannot resist responding. I literally just got off the Mariner of the Seas, there is no extra charge for a steak, period. You can have two a night in the dining room if you like. There are NO extra charges other than alcohol and as a cruiser for both lines they are identical in that respect. If you choose to go to Chops it is a flat $25 per person and you will be given the largest T-bone you have ever seen or filet or whatever you want. If you want to know the real deal....just ask a happy cruiser that just got off the ship. I love both lines and they are very nearly identical in the "additional" charges on the cruise. :p

Open a little wider, I'm pretty sure there's room for that 2nd foot in your mouth. :rolleyes:

Open a little wider, I'm pretty sure there's room for that 2nd foot in your mouth. :rolleyes:

lol, I read thru her posts, her big cruising experience consist of the Mariner lol, I been on more RCI cruises than her lol. and I consider myself a inexperience cruiser, lol she called the thread dumb but she was trying to called me dumb intead, she thinks she knows everything about RCI because she just went in a cruise. lol no biggie.

I still love CArNiVal lol

Trock, I'm worried. I booked for Victory for the Southern Carribean cruise in June 2009 for my family. Is the ship really that bad?? :o

no no no no! LOL

I dont want you to prejudge your upcoming cruise on the Victory based on what I or any other poster states!:)

The Victory seems to get more negative reviews on it's northern sailings.. the Ports in Canada/Weather.. not exciting.. This may (or may not) put a damper on things.. The Caribbean sailings get great reviews and lots of cruisers love the Victory.. Please go with a clear mind and have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

I know we all can see the other sections but I just went to the RCI one and there is a thread that now in some dining rooms are charging $14.95 per Steak , even thought I dont consider myself a Carnival Cheerleader I do notice that RCI has a lot of pay restaurants on boards and Carnival sticks to the principles of crusing. Maybe one day all of the RCI cruises wont not include meals, this may be a way to start preparing the guests for that transiction.

Now I know why RCI stock went up today and Carnival went down. a lot of people paying for steak

With all the mega ships RCI has and continue to build and so many restaurants in them I will no doubt that ther vision is on ten years to give the guest a buffett and all the dining rooms to be a la carte and include the less possible .

The $ 14.95 steak on the Freedom OTS is a test and has not been implemented across the entire fleet. If enough cruisers bite....:D :D :D

Actually Carnival Cruise Corp. is the real moneymaker in the cruise business, as we are forever reminded in the comparison threads of the two lines.

If I ordered the free steak and it was as tough as a board, I would not order the premium steak but something else off the always available menu.

What exactly was in the other thread? If it is for Chops of course you are going to pay a surcharge to eat there, as you would at any restaruant, and it would only be fair to the guest that decide to order room service to have a charge added. Otherwise everyone would just order room service from Chops. If it in the regular dining venue this is something new they are doing. Yikes if it is!:eek:

I did not know you could order room service and have a steak delivered from Chops. That is a nice option.

From what I've read over there, this steak is a "Chops" steak from that specialty restaurant. It costs extra. They still have the regular free steak as an alternative selection......maybe, or maybe not, depending upon which post you read........

The steaks at Chop's are very good. The steaks at Carnival's supper club are excellent.

The dining room steaks on either line are not worth ordering. On Carnival, they are NOT very good, on

RCL, they are awful. I do not even consider ANY beef dish on RCL [dining room] and only order prime rib on Carnival.

Beef seems like such a hearty dish that outlasts many a backyard arsonist. But beef is really a delicate dish that does not tolerate banquet style prep and serving. Steak must be individually prepared and immediately served and that happens on both lines supper clubs. But not in the dining rooms.

A Chops steak in RCL's dining room, I still would pass as it will still go thru the banquet style kitchen and end up no longer being worth any extra? money.

Even tho its a prime cut as opposed to the dining rooms choice cuts [same on CCL] The dining room steaks are the same as you can buy in you local supermarket, choice beef. The prime beef in the supper clubs you cannot buy in your supermarket and the price would floor you if they had them. Restaurants wholesalers buy up every string of prime there is.

Dan

From reading the RCL boards, Freedom doesn't give you the choice of the free steak, only one from Chops at 14.95.

Another poster on another RCL ship reported that they had the option of the free steak or the $$steak from Chops. So, RCL must be testing various options to see which one works.

However, the scary part to me, is that it looks like they are slowly moving to 5-10 years down the line, the buffet will be the standard fare and everything else will be surcharges.

This will disappointing if there is no free steak on the menu as I am booked on the Freedom next year.

From reading the RCL boards, Freedom doesn't give you the choice of the free steak, only one from Chops at 14.95.

Another poster on another RCL ship reported that they had the option of the free steak or the $$steak from Chops. So, RCL must be testing various options to see which one works.

However, the scary part to me, is that it looks like they are slowly moving to 5-10 years down the line, the buffet will be the standard fare and everything else will be surcharges.

This will disappointing if there is no free steak on the menu as I am booked on the Freedom next year.

MJ that is was scares me, that down the road all cruise lines will begin to do this and that someday the only meal that will be included is a buffett , I hear that is already hapening in some NCL cruises but dont quote me on it cause I am not sure of that, lol

What I get from reading the RCL boards is that on RCL's smaller, older ships that do not have a Chop's. They are offering a Chop's quality [uSDA PRIME BEEF] in the dining room for $14.95, in ADDITION to the normal, included, dining room steaks [uSDA CHOICE BEEF].

But since it will be cooked in the same kitchen, by the same cooks as the regular steaks. I would pass. Choice beef is nowhere near as good as prime beef, but it isn't bad either. Until banquet style "chefs" destroy it. Steak IMO is just too sensitive for that kind of treatment. The ONLY beef dish I ever order on Carnival or RCL [talking dining rooms now] is prime rib on Carnival and only if I'm not very hungry. If I really want to eat, I pass beef up on both lines. Both lines do a much better prep of non-beef dishes.

When you, we, cook a choice cut of beef on our backyard grills, it is pulled off the grill, slapped on a plate and the circling, beer-drinking vultures desend on it like Pirannas. That is exactly what a steak likes.

Put a perfectly cooked PRIME [or choice] cut of beef under a heat lamp or on a warming table and in 5 minutes it has become some gray mass of roadkill. In your home kitchen, it can rest on the counter for a few minutes and be fine. But I suspect a commercial kitchen in the process of pumping out 1500 meals is way to hot all by itself.

Dan

MJ that is was scares me, that down the road all cruise lines will begin to do this and that someday the only meal that will be included is a buffett , I hear that is already hapening in some NCL cruises but dont quote me on it cause I am not sure of that, lol

Dan, I had thought there was a rumor a while ago that NCL's F3 ships would not have a main dining room, but different speciality restaurants. Also, no lido deck restaurant.

Dan, I had thought there was a rumor a while ago that NCL's F3 ships would not have a main dining room, but different speciality restaurants. Also, no lido deck restaurant.

The thread is about RCL. What the financially troubled NCL is/will do, who knows. They are trying very hard to be different. Don't know if "better" is part of their thinking or just different. Their FreeStyle, all open seating with NO assigned seating seemed to be an innovation. But it is easily trumped by other lines offering both assigned and open choices.

When Carnival was looking at buying NCL out, STAR cruise lines grabbed them up. Star has cruises with no food included. You buy your dining options separate from your cruise fare. As I understand it, each level, from basic buffet, to large buffet, to sit down dining is more and more expensive. And I think your level is set for the cruise. So what thinking rubbed off on NCL from that associatation, I don't know.

Dan

Archived