Royal Caribbean charging $14.95 per Steak

Terry305

I know we all can see the other sections but I just went to the RCI one and there is a thread that now in some dining rooms are charging $14.95 per Steak , even thought I dont consider myself a Carnival Cheerleader I do notice that RCI has a lot of pay restaurants on boards and Carnival sticks to the principles of crusing. Maybe one day all of the RCI cruises wont not include meals, this may be a way to start preparing the guests for that transiction.

Its an alternative offering (of their regular steak) from their superclub Chops;)

I did read that in the thread , is just seems to me that little by little they are implementing things on the guest, I know that is an option to travel on RCI or any other cruise lines, but they are little by little pushing extra charges on the guest, is interesting how they put it, if someone wants to have the meals from their superclubs they just must to go the supper club. In CC they dont charge for the steak, is kind of hard lol but is free or at least included, I dont believe at the end nothing is free lol.:)

I did read that in the thread , is just seems to me that little by little they are implementing things on the guest, I know that is an option to travel on RCI or any other cruise lines, but they are little by little pushing extra charges on the guest, is interesting how they put it, if someone wants to have the meals from their superclubs they just must to go the supper club. In CC they dont charge for the steak, is kind of hard lol but is free or at least included, I dont believe at the end nothing is free lol.:)

Hi Terry

I think you are misunderstanding.. Carnival does not deliver room service from Nick and Nora's .. (superclub)... RCI will deliver a steak to the cabin.. free..But if one wants the steak from Chops, the price is $14.95... Its a pay restaurant... ;)

I have to say however that if I am already paying to eat at Chops I do not want to pay more for a steak. I think though on some other lines you need to pay for lobster if you want it in a specialty restaurant so I guess it is starting across the lines...at least with Carnival we still get a midnight gala buffet and lobster on the shorter cruises.

What exactly was in the other thread? If it is for Chops of course you are going to pay a surcharge to eat there, as you would at any restaruant, and it would only be fair to the guest that decide to order room service to have a charge added. Otherwise everyone would just order room service from Chops. If it in the regular dining venue this is something new they are doing. Yikes if it is!:eek:

I did not know you could order room service and have a steak delivered from Chops. That is a nice option.

..at least with Carnival we still get a midnight gala buffet and lobster ...

I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but....I had to pay dearly for espresso and cappuccino on RCCL. Comp for all three meals a day in the dining room on Carnival. What can I say...repetitive or not, I just want newbies to be aware, and be able to enjoy it, too!:D

I read the entire thread and apparently RCCL has taken free steak of the menu as an alternative if you do not like any of the entrees served that particular night. The alternative pasta and chicken dish are at no additional cost but if you want to order steak it will cost $14.95. There is quite a discussion about charging for food in the main dining room as any food eaten there used to be included in your cruise fare.

Well if they want steak that doesn't cost $14.95 they can come on a Carnival cruise:)

What exactly was in the other thread? If it is for Chops of course you are going to pay a surcharge to eat there, as you would at any restaruant, and it would only be fair to the guest that decide to order room service to have a charge added. Otherwise everyone would just order room service from Chops. If it in the regular dining venue this is something new they are doing. Yikes if it is!:eek:

I did not know you could order room service and have a steak delivered from Chops. That is a nice option.

What I read is that they have incorporated to the main dining room an steak from their premium restaurant and they are charging for it $14.95, and they removed the option of having steak as an alternative in the dining room. I am glad they dont charge for an alternative steak on CC, even thought my last one was hard like a shoe :)

From what I can gather, RCI has begun charging for steak as an alternative dinner in the dining room when you don't want one of the specials of the evening. Both times I went on a RCI cruise I ate the steak as an alternative, but they were not charging yet. Apparently this steak is a special one from the specialty restaurant. Some people are saying it replaces the regular steak alternative and some are saying it is in addition to it. I would be peeved if I was on an RCI cruise and found that I had to pay extra for steak in the dining room. Actually, I am cruising on Carnival next time because the RCI food was not very good on my last cruise. We did eat at the specialty restaurant, Chops, which was nice. But I don't want to lay out an extra $120 per night for good food for my family. I hope to be provided with good food as part of my cruise fare.

Hi Terry

I think you are misunderstanding.. Carnival does not deliver room service from Nick and Nora's .. (superclub)... RCI will deliver a steak to the cabin.. free..But if one wants the steak from Chops, the price is $14.95... Its a pay restaurant... ;)

thanks Trock, I just thought that is outrageous that they are removing steak as an alternative in order to make a buck lol.

I almost got in 2 arguments cause of RCI and I refuse to be a CC cheerleader:eek: , lol My niece told me last night that next year she is going on RC, she just came back form the Liberty and she said it was great, that RC had this and that, I just said well is that what you want dear go, she compared to her honey moom cruise in the Majesty of the Seas in 96, which I also went to the same cruise 1 year later and it was great, but she started telling me about the Ice ring , that water thing they have Trock lol that I dont even recall the name , some wave lol, them this morning DD started telling me how great RCI is , lol so today I been debating with everyone about the 2 lines and the more I read RCI is just like a money making machine, yes they have Jhony Rockets but is not free, I rather go to the grill at CC and had a delicious Yummy Burger. lol

I hope I dont sound like a cheerleader lol

:)

thanks Trock, I just thought that is outrageous that they are removing steak as an alternative in order to make a buck lol.

I almost got in 2 arguments cause of RCI and I refuse to be a CC cheerleader:eek: , lol My niece told me last night that next year she is going on RC, she just came back form the Liberty and she said it was great, that RC had this and that, I just said well is that what you want dear go, she compared to her honey moom cruise in the Majesty of the Seas in 96, which I also went to the same cruise 1 year later and it was great, but she started telling me about the Ice ring , that water thing they have Trock lol that I dont even recall the name , some wave lol, them this morning DD started telling me how great RCI is , lol so today I been debating with everyone about the 2 lines and the more I read RCI is just like a money making machine, yes they have Jhony Rockets but is not free, I rather go to the grill at CC and had a delicious Yummy Burger. lol

hi Terry

As I understood it.. it was a option.. I didnt think they were removing the free steak??

No worries.. i cheerlead for the NY Port.. any cruiseline I can afford in the tristate area works for me.. (not Victory.. lol)

I have no problem paying for food in the premium resturants nor paying for it if I were able to have it delivered to my room. BUT it sounds like this is being offered as an option in the dining rooms? To me that sounds more like they are serving inferior foods in the dining room but allowing you to order something "better" but at a price. That doesn't sit well with me at all. How much longer before ala carte paying items become the norm on the menue? "You want that shrimp cocktail for dinner?? Sure you can have the regular ones on the menu that are tiny and adequate but if you want to pay an extra $7.99 we'll bring you the better ones" There's alot of things on cruising that tend to get to people that don't even phase me but I don't ever want to feel like the only way to get a descent meal in the dining room is to pay to upgrade the quality :(

I would be ok with it, as long as it remains an option, and you can still get the generic, shoe leather steak if you didn't want to pay extra. If I could get a good ribeye for $15 in the dining room, as opposed to paying $30, or whatever the supper clubs are these days, I might do it, at least once or twice.

For what I read it looks like the alternative steak is no longer on the menu, instead the guest might order the $14.95 one. I do know it says is coming from a premium restaurant but no matter what is a charge in the Dining room , I am very happy that is not happening on Carnival, I am not been stingy I just think that once cruise lnes start doing this we might end up in a la cartes in the sea.

This is about the dumbest thread I have seen in awhile. I cannot resist responding. I literally just got off the Mariner of the Seas, there is no extra charge for a steak, period. You can have two a night in the dining room if you like. There are NO extra charges other than alcohol and as a cruiser for both lines they are identical in that respect. If you choose to go to Chops it is a flat $25 per person and you will be given the largest T-bone you have ever seen or filet or whatever you want. If you want to know the real deal....just ask a happy cruiser that just got off the ship. I love both lines and they are very nearly identical in the "additional" charges on the cruise. :p

The free steak that RCCL has in the dining room as an alternative is a top sirloin cut. If you like it well done as I do, your knife will not be able to cut it. The steak in Chops is usually a New York Strip steak (you do have a choice between that and other cuts) and it is delicious! Rather than eating at Chops as many times as we did on the last cruise, paying $14.95 is a good deal for people like me who became a vegetarian for the nights we did not eat in Chops. We will get to see how Carnival compares next month.

This is about the dumbest thread I have seen in awhile. I cannot resist responding. I literally just got off the Mariner of the Seas, there is no extra charge for a steak, period. You can have two a night in the dining room if you like. There are NO extra charges other than alcohol and as a cruiser for both lines they are identical in that respect. If you choose to go to Chops it is a flat $25 per person and you will be given the largest T-bone you have ever seen or filet or whatever you want. If you want to know the real deal....just ask a happy cruiser that just got off the ship. I love both lines and they are very nearly identical in the "additional" charges on the cruise. :p

Thanks for clearing that up the silly rumor;)

As one who has been accused of being an RCI cheerleader, I have to say that I am disturbed by the practice of offering the premium Chops steak in the main dining room for a surcharge. I like Chops and think it is worth the extra money, but they should just leave the venues distinct and separate. To me it cheapens the Dining room experience.

Who knows where the idea started? They might have done it by request in the past and now it is published on the menu. Or, perhaps one of the bean counters came up with the idea. Either way, I don't like it as a precedent.

If you think the thread is so dumb dont read it.

The free steak that RCCL has in the dining room as an alternative is a top sirloin cut. If you like it well done as I do, your knife will not be able to cut it. The steak in Chops is usually a New York Strip steak (you do have a choice between that and other cuts) and it is delicious! Rather than eating at Chops as many times as we did on the last cruise, paying $14.95 is a good deal for people like me who became a vegetarian for the nights we did not eat in Chops. We will get to see how Carnival compares next month.

If you like your steak well done on Carnival as for medium.......I like mine medium and I have to ask for medium rare.

And most of them are tough regardless........

hi Terry

As I understood it.. it was a option.. I didnt think they were removing the free steak??

No worries.. i cheerlead for the NY Port.. any cruiseline I can afford in the tristate area works for me.. (not Victory.. lol)

Trock, I'm worried. I booked for Victory for the Southern Carribean cruise in June 2009 for my family. Is the ship really that bad?? :o

OK now I understand. RCI is now offering a steak from Chops in the regular diningroom for a charge of $14.95. It must not be done on all ships because we have someone say it was not an option on their cruise. Hopefully it is just a trial thing and will not be something they continue to do.

I look at a surcharge restaruant as an experience not a meal. If and when I decide to cruise RCI again I seriously doubt this would be an option I would go for. I enjoy the entire experience of the surcharge restaruants. That is if it is truly offered.

This is about the dumbest thread I have seen in awhile. I cannot resist responding. I literally just got off the Mariner of the Seas, there is no extra charge for a steak, period.

You may wish to expand your reading to other threads before calling something "dumb". Look here. This has to do with something being rolled out on the Freedom and perhaps a couple other ships. It apparently hasn't happened on the Mariner yet - but I expect it will.

Archived