Need Hotel Recommendation for Miami!

jordanaire

My wife and I are booked on the "Carnival Victory" for the April 3rd cruise and will be flying into Miami the day before the cruise. We are looking for hotel suggestions! We would like to stay near the port or Bayside Marketplace.

We have stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay once, but we had a bad experience there. Paid for our room 6 months in advance, but when we arrived at 2am (due to the airport being closed by bad weather), they told us the hotel was booked and there were no rooms available! After an hour of persistant arguing, they let us have a "room they didn't have". So we would prefer other suggestions for a hotel.

Has anyone stayed at the Riande Continenetal? Is this hotel worth considering?

We would like a hotel close to the Bayside Marketplace, as this is where we would like to dine and shop before the cruise. Any hotel suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

I'd normally recommend Priceline but since you could concievable end up at the Marriott...

The Hyatt Downtown is nice but a little far from Bayside, a long walk but doable. There is a Courtyard by Marriott accross the street from the Hyatt, a pretty typical hotel for that chain. The Intercontinental is also nice but seems a little overpriced to me, you're paying mostly for the great location. There is a Holiday Inn directly across the street from Bayside but I generally avoid hotels in the Holiday Inn Family of brands: It seems I never fail to have a problem that never gets resolved. Same goes for the Clarion: I generally avoid the Choice Chain of Hotels like the plauge. No Opinon on the Sheridan.

The Sheraton Biscayne Bay is right there as well .... a little pricey to some (I consider myself extremely lucky that through my job, I have "starwood preferred planner" points that have paid for my room) but it is a very nice place and I have never had a problem w/ a Sheraton.

The only other experiences i have are with some of thee locations on South Beach, which might be a bit further from the Bayside than you want to be ..

Good luck!

We're staying at The Marriott Biscayne Bay next month on the pre-cruise pkg. and will be getting in late. I am a bit sensitive to cruise vacation problems as I have had a beauty in the past. OK, note to self: Don't stress, everything will be fine...

I would recommend the Holiday Inn Port of Miami on Biscayne Blvd. We stayed there one night pre-cruise in Nov. 2003. It is directly across the street from Bayside and is just fine for a pre-cruise stay. The rooms were clean and spacious. They have a small outdoor pool and a good breakfast buffet. If you get a room on one of the upper floors you can see the ships in port the morning you sail. We are staying there again 4/30 before we sail the Valor 5/1!!

No, you wouldn't be able to walk to the port from the Holiday Inn. I don't think they had a shuttle service to the port either, we just grabbed a cab. It was like a 5 min. ride. I can't remember the cost but it wasn't much.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn a few times and we love it for its convenience. You can walk to the bay front where there are restaurants, bars and on the weekend entertainment. Bubba Gumps is our favorite hang out there. You can also take bay tours by boat there. If you want more info go to Holiday Inn web page and be sure to sign up for priority membership as they will give you early check in and upgrade on your room if you are a member. One time we arrived at 7:00am and they gave us a room no problem. I book right through there sight, internet specials are really good. There are cabs lined up out side on the sailing days to take you to port it was about $8.00

Happy Sailing, have a wonderful time.

You may want to consider the Days Inn Convention Center - Comp shuttle from airport to hotel and to Bayside and to Port. We booked on the net for $59! It's not fancy but with all the freebies, it cannot be beat. Also, there is security, a bar and a restaurant - not great but okay. Who needs to eat before a cruise? Plus, you will want to eat at Bayside!

I too booked a room at the Holiday Inn Bayside for our Valor cruise in Feb 05. We have others going with us that are considering the Intercontinental. Should I try and get the Intercontinental on Priceline? I see that its the only 4 star listed on bidding for travel for priceline. Anyone have any experience????

I have stayed at the Intercontinental twice and each time enjoyed it! You can request a room where you can see the Victory out of your window when you wake up in the morning....that is the best! It's very close to the Bay side Mall.... If I went back on a cruise, leaving out of Miami I would stay there again....:) If you look under Host Chris website he gives many details about that specific hotel....

I, too, have stayed at the Miami Intercontinental Hotel when I've gotten in the day before the cruise. The location is wonderful and the hotel was beautiful. It was such fun to wake up in the morning and look out to window to see our ship in the port. I would definitely stay there again when cruising out of Miami.

My wife and I stayed at the Intercontinental last year. It was a nice place but a little stuffy. Definitely over priced if you are planning on any meals. We are booked at the Holiday Inn in Feb because it is a little closer to Bayside where meals are more reasonable and shopping is so nice. I would recommend you shopping the price if you stay there. I found calling direct, and internet pricing as much as $30 different for the same room. I told them I could get it cheaper on the internet and they then came down on the price.

We always use Priceline for a 3 Star Hotel and have always gotten the Radisson. They have a shuttle to the pier for maybe, $4.00 per adult. They also have a shuttle to Bayside.

The other hotels you could get are the Sheraton Biscayne Bay and the Doubletree, I believe.

My theory is, why pay $75.00 + for the Holiday Inn when you can get the Radisson for $35.00!!

That's right, I pay more for dinner for my wife and 2 children at Benigans or Applebees than I do for a 3 Star hotel!

With the money you say, you could pay for any taxis and still have some left over.

There are many threads on this topic and I haven't read a single complaint about Priceline in Miami.

We booked thru Priceline and got the Hyatt for $39. I've heard that people have even stayed there for less. It's a classy hotel. The only problem is that if you drive in they hit you for $12.00 parking and you would have to pay again if you left to go eat somewhere else. We ate there and the food was very good. It would be better to valet at $20. then at least you could come and go as you please.

FYI everyone if you have handicap plates on your car you can park for free at the pier. That saved us $80.00

DSM711

Carnival Victory 04/05

NCL Sun 01/04

NCL Norway 04/03 My favorite!!! May she rest in peace.

NCl Sky 01/02

I too booked a room at the Holiday Inn Bayside for our Valor cruise in Feb 05. We have others going with us that are considering the Intercontinental. Should I try and get the Intercontinental on Priceline? I see that its the only 4 star listed on bidding for travel for priceline. Anyone have any experience????

I used priceline Aug. 2003 and got the Intercontinental for 60.00. It was one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. First class all the way. That was my first experience w/ priceline and I was more than satisfied. The Intercontinental staff was exceptional. I called the day after my bid was accepted and requested 2 beds and a view of the cruise ships. We were given a room on the 9th floor from which we could see all the ships. It was a very short walk to Bayside, no more than 5 mins. We had heard horror stories of miami's crime but always felt safe. You have to try Bubba Gump shrimp company! A very fun place to eat and the food was excellent! If you have any other questions I will be more than happy to try and answer them. Have a great cruise!

Archived