How/What to Pack for a three week trip/cruise to Europe

For this trip, we're trying to limit our baggage to one 28" or smaller spinner/roll bag and one carry-on/backpack person -- that's it.

Thanks,

chester

You might want to look at my article on Italian Trains at http://www.ftroute.com/italiantrainbasics.cfm . I know you are on one of them, but the baggage issues are the same throught Europe. Photos will give you some good insight.

Sounds like a great trip ahead of you! Enjoy!

GPSLover--I just wanted to take the time to thank you again for the wonderful articles you have made available. Every time we travel I refer to them for updates.

Our friends are joining us on our transatlantic--their first time to Europe but not the first cruise.

I have been explaining to them over and over about not over packing, especially since we are spending several days in Rome. Just showing them your pictures of getting luggage onto the train---and relating my experience of having the doors shut on me (in Naples--not luggage related, but thats another story) have helped drive the point home.

You are a wonderful asset to this board.

We did 21 days in Europe last summer (16 day cruise and pre and post stays)

I echo the recommendations for 1 rolling bag (25" or smaller) and 1 backback or other carry-on. Also the idea of weighing your bags empty.

We ended up having to do some last minute shuffling to get our carry-ons lighter and it turned out the empty carry-on weight was the culprit! The $10 luggage scale we bought was well worth it. The down side was we ended up with an extra small checked bag that we had to handle at airports and train stations.

We did the Leonardo express train from FCO airport to termini station and had to do the hurried toss and catch up the steps. We also rode the Arlanda express from Stockholm to Arlanda airport, but I don't remember stairs being a problem.

One note, we were given a weight limit for carry-ons, but no one in any of 4 international airports asked us to put them on the scale at check in!! (of course if we were so much as one ounce over, we would have no doubt had to weigh them!)

Ms. Alpha, we're also doing 21 days in Europe with a 14 day cruise, but for Christmas and New Year's. Our ports are Barcelona, Rome, Greece, Egypt, Turkey, Malta. Should we pack more for wind or rain? :confused: I can't seem to find many posts on packing for winter in Europe.

If you do not receive an answer I suggest that you go to weather.com and get the forecast for the ports for the rest of the month. However it didn't list precipitation for Barcelona when I tried that. You can try Accuweather within 15 days of departure because they include rain.

Since you may run into a variety of climates, be prepared to layer. Since I run cold, I normally take one very heavy sweater and a windbreaker to wear on deck at night. As it is winter I would tend to take a heavier jacket, preferably with zipout lining. We usually carry inexpensive plastic ponchos when we are going into ports, so we are prepared for showers. However, in April it poured for awhile in Florence, and we bought an umbrella which did not last. It may help to have a small lightweight umbrella.

• 4 weeks later...
You might want to look at my article on Italian Trains at http://www.ftroute.com/italiantrainbasics.cfm . I know you are on one of them, but the baggage issues are the same throught Europe. Photos will give you some good insight.

Sounds like a great trip ahead of you! Enjoy!

My family and I (four adults and one child) we'll be taking an overnight train from Paris to Barcelona on June 25/26 prior to our cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. Any experience with the train trip? Suggestions/Recommendations?

Thanks,

chester

Our family (my wife, our nine year old daughter, myself and my parents) will be taking a three week trip to Europe - Sunday, June 21, 2009 to Sunday, July 12, 2009. We will be spending three nights at a Holiday Inn in Paris before taking an overnight train to Barcelona to spend one night at a Hilton before our 12-night Eastern Med/Greek Isles cruise aboard the Brilliance of the Seas. Post cruise we'll spend two nights in Barcelona at the Hotel Continental before taking a day train back to Paris for a one night stay at a Hyatt prior to our flight back to the U.S.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations on how/what we should pack for this trip. My wife and I sailed the Western Med out of Rome in 2006, but this will be the first european trip/cruise for my parents and our youngest daughter. Obviously, we'd like to pack as light as possible but still take everything we'll need for the trip. Any insights on types of clothes, make/kind of luggage, packing techniques, etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks,

chester

Looks like we may be on the same cruise. It will be my husband, me and parents going on the Brillance, June 15,2009. This will be our first time to cruise. We are also curious what all to pack, I don't want alot of extra clothing.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like we may be on the same cruise. It will be my husband, me and parents going on the Brillance, June 15,2009. This will be our first time to cruise. We are also curious what all to pack, I don't want alot of extra clothing.

I think we're going to be on the cruise after yours -- ours leaves Barcelona on June 27th. It should be a great trip.

Thanks,

chester

GPSLover--I just wanted to take the time to thank you again for the wonderful articles you have made available. Every time we travel I refer to them for updates.

Our friends are joining us on our transatlantic--their first time to Europe but not the first cruise.

I have been explaining to them over and over about not over packing, especially since we are spending several days in Rome. Just showing them your pictures of getting luggage onto the train---and relating my experience of having the doors shut on me (in Naples--not luggage related, but thats another story) have helped drive the point home.

You are a wonderful asset to this board.

Just reading back through this thread and it looks like I missed your post. Sorry about that. Glad it wasn't time sensitive. Thanks for the compliment. I try.

One back at you too. Your posts on Tarquinia were the reason that I put us in Civitavecchia for the night so that we would have an afternoon to spend there the day before our cruise. We loved it, although the weather was not that great (cold and wet.)

I am a cruise expert at this point. Summer in the Med. is just like summer in the US- hot.

I try to color coordinate my wardrobe. One year I brought a black and white wardrobe. Worked great. My next cruise is in the Caribbean so I am bringing turquoise, white and yellow.

For boys- polo shirts always look nice. One blazer, two shirts and two pair dress pants will work fine.

For girls- three or four dressy outfits are all they need. The other nights a summer dress, skirt or capri pants are perfectly acceptible.

For daytime- dress in cotton, free-flowing clothes. For example I take polo dresses, which look "resort-like" and are comfortable. Kids will be in swimsuits and coverups a good part of the time. For girls- I suggest cotton sundresses or skirts for sightseeing- that cover their shoulders and are at least to the knee. Shorts and bare shoulders are not permitted in churches and in general I thnk modesty is best and will help with sunburn.

Most European men wear jeans and cotton t-shirts. Women tend to wear skirts more than pants. This is because they breath better. Stylish couples often wear white cotton/linen pants and long sleeved linen shirts to reflect the sun and protect the skin from damage.

Most importantly-most cruise line offer laundry specials. You can cut down on how much to bring by using the ships laundry. For a family of four- you might send out laundry twice to the tune of about $100 (two bags full of laundry will run about $50 each). It isn't cheap but it comes back clean and pressed and you haven't wasted your valuable vacation time doing laundry. I do like that Princess and Cunard have laundry facilities though. I really underpack on those lines. I literally take about half as much when sailing those lines and this would be a deciding factor if I did a world cruise or lengthy cruise.

I haven't read all the posts, so forgive me if this has been mentioned. It's a great idea to always pack one or two mix/match outfits plus some extra undies in your carry on bags. That way, if your luggage is delayed or lost, you have something to wear to get you through. I've been on flights where the the steward/ess spilled breakfast or beverages on fellow travelers. (my father) A change of clothes saved the day!

It's also a great idea to pack a change of clothes in someone else's suitcase (within your party, of course) in case not all of your luggage arrives.

Additionally, either line your suitcase in a plastic bag or use dry cleaning bags to not only protect from wrinkles, but protect clothes from wetness and/or stains during airport transfers, etc. (I went to Hawaii last year and somewhere between Pennsylvania, Atlanta, Los Angeles and Honolulu, my luggage sat in water. When I opened my suitcase, everything was soaked or stained. Thank GOD for the clothes in my carry on. At least I had something to wear until I got things dried out.)

Mix and match as much a possible. Rewear if needed. Layer, layer, layer! Take some travel packets of Woolite or Tide or something so you can wash things out if needed. (Target has a great sample aisle...)

I know you have a shoe fettish, but shoes take up lots of space. If you can, plan your outfits around 2 or 3 pairs of shoes. (if you can limit yourself...) Pack your socks inside your shoes, too!

• 3 weeks later...

We packed for one week and did about 3 laundry loads as we went along. I brought a little travel clothesline and travel laundry packs and washed our favorites a little more often.

It's not worth the hassle of lugging all that stuff around Europe. Save the assortment of extra shoes and fancy dressing for shorter cruises.

A suggestion that helps traveling with children. Depending on the age and personality of the children, try and take some small thing familiar or liked by the child. For example a new book by a favorite writer or a special type of candy.

Keep it as a surprise as it will be that much more appreciated.

After so much that is unfamiliar it is comforting to have the familiar.

Even adults need. it. One year on a rainy day in Rome, after two weeks in Italy, a bag of M&Ms consumed while sitting on the hotel bed, complaining, lifted everyones spirits.

It doesn't have to take up a lot of room but a treat is a treat.

Archived