Live From Caribbean Princess 9/7/08 - 9/14/08

WWCJR

Any suggestions where to get a good Lobster Roll?

Along the boardwalk in Nova Scotia, there are lots of wonderful little places to get lobster rolls, fish chowder and other similar specialties of the area. In New Brunswick, there are three indoor markets just to the left when you get off the ship. They are connected by walkways that bridge over the streets. The last market is like a Farmer's Market and has lots of local speciality foods too. Right on Main Street in Bar Harbor where you get off the tender, there are plenty of little shops and restaurants, and same in Quincy Market in Boston.

You won't have any problem finding good lobster rolls!!!

Last night we went to dinner in the Palm Dinning Room just after the end of the Captains Circle Meeting, probably about 5:50 PM. We again did not have a problem as we don't mind eating with others, in fact we enjoy talking with others and getting to know some of the others onboard. A couple ahead of us asked for atable for two and were told it would be about a twenty minute wait. Not unlike a dinning out at home. They decided to sit with others and were at our table.

Today we are in Newport and we bought our own tickets for The Breakers and then rode the bus out and back. An all day pass costs $5 per person.

On the peronnal home front. Both sons with their wifes that sheltered in place at their homes are fine. They are both without power as are 4 million people in Houston. One lost some shingles and had a fence blown over. I called our neighbor and they said there isa lot of debre all over and we have lost a couple of limbs from trees. No power or water at our house. Our daughter that went to Austin with her daughter is fine as they really did not have much at all there. Thanks for all of the concern for our family and your good thoughs.

STARZ723 - You were on CB and had a new bed?? Was it interior or balcony? You give me hope. I have heard soooo much about the bad beds and my DH has back problems. I don't tell him about all the talk and have just been hoping we get one that is not too bad....Thanks so much for some good news:D

On the personal home front. Both sons with their wifes that sheltered in place at their homes are fine. They are both without power as are 4 million people in Houston. One lost some shingles and had a fence blown over. I called our neighbor and they said there isa lot of debre all over and we have lost a couple of limbs from trees. No power or water at our house. Our daughter that went to Austin with her daughter is fine as they really did not have much at all there. Thanks for all of the concern for our family and your good thoughs.

Thanks goodness everyone is safe with minimal damage. Other's are not so lucky. Glad that you had good news and can relax and enjoy the end of your cruise. Safe travels home.

Today we are in Newport and we bought our own tickets for The Breakers and then rode the bus out and back. An all day pass costs $5 per person.

On the peronnal home front. Both sons with their wifes that sheltered in place at their homes are fine. They are both without power as are 4 million people in Houston. One lost some shingles and had a fence blown over. I called our neighbor and they said there isa lot of debre all over and we have lost a couple of limbs from trees. No power or water at our house. Our daughter that went to Austin with her daughter is fine as they really did not have much at all there. Thanks for all of the concern for our family and your good thoughs.

I'm glad you have good news from home and that your family is safe. I have a question about Newport. Where did you buy the $5 all day pass for the bus? Does the bus go by the mansions?

We are pulled in to Boston and were tied up at 7:00 AM. It was just a few minutes later that the ship was cleared for passengers to go ashore. We went ashore around 7:30 and had no lines and walked right up to a taxi to go to the Boston Commons. From there we started walking the Freedom Trail. We walked all of it over pass Paul Reverse’s house and the North Church. At that point we had done all of it that we had planned on doing so we walked back until we found a taxi. It was just another short taxi ride back to the ship. We do not plan to do anything this afternoon other than get dressed for the Captain Circle meeting and then supper again in the dinning room.

We would like to do the aquarium when we are in Boston. We have to get from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal to Fanuil/Quincy. Where did you get the taxi and if I may ask how much was it to the Commons? Do they run any type of shuttle service from the terminal to Quincy Market?

We would like to do the aquarium when we are in Boston. We have to get from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal to Fanuil/Quincy. Where did you get the taxi and if I may ask how much was it to the Commons? Do they run any type of shuttle service from the terminal to Quincy Market?

Hi...How's chances of becoming a Penn State Fan this season. We took a bad beating tonight, but us Penn State fans had a big win. LOL Hope all is well with you.

P.S. I have no idea as to where to go to get a taxi.

Hi...How's chances of becoming a Penn State Fan this season. We took a bad beating tonight, but us Penn State fans had a big win. LOL Hope all is well with you.

P.S. I have no idea as to where to go to get a taxi.

Hi George, it's so nice to hear from you. I hope everything if good for both you and Joyce. As you can see I have 4 cruises planned through 2010. We did Canada/New England in July, loved it so much, that this cruise was a last minute decision with a very good price. What's also good is that we don't have to fly. We did the Boston trolley tour, but that included getting back to the ship and I don't remember if there was any other transportation offered to get to the Fanuil/Quincy Market. I know how you feel about your team; remember we were there, but keep the faith. All are welcome in Happy Valley. Keep in touch - here's our email amv1321@verizon.net. We can discuss what future cruises we have and maybe someday we can get together on another.

We are doing the Old Towne Trolley. There is a stop within walking distance of the cruise terminal at the Westin Hotel. The Trolley has a stop at the Aquarium and if you finish early, you can still get back on the trolley and tour the rest of Boston.

We are doing Whale Watching on this cruise in 15 days - do you think we should bring winter jackets? We were bringing an LL Bean 3 in one lighter jacket with fleece shirts under - from your comments I wonder if it will be too cold for that. Did you need a hat and gloves?

We did the whale watching 2 weeks ago. Outside it was in the high 80's, I would guess. On the trip 20-25 miles off shore we were on the top deck and it had to be 30-40 degrees cooler. We had light jackets on. The smart ones had a hat and gloves on. I wish I would have been that smart! After the whale watching on the trip back in, we went inside and were fine, but if you want to be outside, be prepared.

You can get Proncess shuttles to town and back In Boston. The taxis were right after you exit the terminal and they had a number of them lined up. We had no trouble getting acab there or in town. On teh way in we had a stop that took us out of the way to going right to town but on teh way back the cost was $13 plusw a tip.

I cannot list the themes in Cafe Carbe at the present but will as soon as it is possible.

Yesterday we learned that Commodore Ramano will be on teh Caribbean Princess for two more weeks and then will be off for the next two months before his next assignment in December. He lives in Fort Lauderdale with his wife. An interesting side note is that he has a very small boat he decribed as be a 12 foot foldup boat. He uses it to go out into the Everglads with a 5 HP motor. Talk about going from huge to super small. He is trully a great person and very nice to get to know \, even if it is just a little that we could get to know him.

Last night we had dinner in the Palm Dinning Room at 8:30 PM and walked right in with no reservations. They were not busy at all. The three of us got a table for four to ourselves and there were many open tables as long as we were in there.

This morning we had breakfast and then got out of our cabin at 8:00 AM and went to the Coral DInning Room to wait for our turn to disembark the ship. Everyone going to LGA was assigned to the Coral DInning Room. We were Red 3 the first group in teh Coral to be called to leave. They have it all set up and emplemented very well. When they were ready to call people from the Coral DInning Room they stressed that only the people holding the color and number ere to leave the ship and that the CPB had already sent people back on to the ship that had colors and numbers that had not been called yet. We were off the ship by 9:15 AM. We had the Princess transfer to LGA and it went very quick and smooth as well.

The bad news was that all flights in and out of IAH in Houston were cancelled for today again. We got rebooked into DFW in Dallas/Fort Worth. We had tought we would get a rental car and drine into Houston but all cars were soldout at all rental car companies. We call one of our sons who is driving up to Dallas from Houston to pick us up. We will stay up here with him tonight and drive into to Housto in teh morning as there is a 9:00 PM to dawn curfew in Houston. Still no power or water at our house or one of our sons houses. The other son and his wife have power now. The son that is not driving up to get us went over to our house with his wife today and cut up the tree that we lost and stacked it all out at the curb to be picked up. We have some great sons.

Thanks again for a job well done with the updates. It sure helps us future CB passengers. As far as your home front goes it sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Thank God things have worked out and you seem to have minimal damage. The power issue everyone is dealing with. Sure nice to have good sons to call on. I will be relying on my sons to take us to and from the airport next February. Have a safe journey home and all the best.

Dave

hi bill, kathy and betty

it was very nice to meet with you all

tim and i also had a great cruise with no complaints.

i found it amazing that james had read our roll calls and knew to meet up at the meet n greets. great pr for princess

hope all is well for your family on the home front

Thanks for the great thread. Very interesting and so glad you enjoyed your time. Yes you do have great sons.:)

psupa, if you want to go to Fanuil Hall/ Quincy Market, say eith FH or QM, if you say Quincy you will have quite the cab ride:eek: At the end of Quincy Market is the Aquarium after crossing the Street. If you want to do the Commons, you are going in the oposite direction. So as willysgramma mentioned, maybe the Old Town Trolley Tour would be for you. :)

Bill, Kathy, Betty,

It was great meeting you! I just wish you had kept the noise down a bit! j/k

I hope you arrive home safely, and find things at home to be relatively unscathed.

I am totally jealous of the video that you got on the whale watching trip. That has to be my favorite excursion.

Jacob and I were in one of the last groups to disembark. we got held up by what was described as a "job action" by customs, but I saw a reference to that in a post from the 8/30 sailing too. The group that we waited with were calm, and very patient. Once off the ship, luggage was easy to fine, however a porter was not!. we ended up rolling our own stuff, thank goodness for luggage with wheels. It didn't take long to get through customs, and across to the parking lot. My GPS kept trying to direct me to closed streets though, so getting out of Red Hook was an adventure!.

We did some errands, went to see BF's mom in Manhatten, microcenter in Patterson, etc, and got home safely, unpacked and even did some laundry too! In Manhatten, we were on the West Side Parkway (I think) and passed the port which Norwegian sailed out of, boy was that congested, for miles! In comparison, Red Hook was a pleasure.

I look forward to seeing your other pictures!

Thanks for all of the great support and comments. We finally got home late Monday afternoon. Power came back on at our home about the same time we got home. Our youngest son and wife still do not have power but want to stay in their own home. All water here has to be boiled, and we don't know how long that will continue. Food is is short supply but there are some grocery stores starting to open but the shelves get cleared pretty quickly. Gas is also in short supply with long lines...up to two miles long. Everyone around here is pretty much in a survival mode. It appears it is going to take some time for things to really get back to near normal but this is a can do city and it is going to happen quicker than most people think it will.

We have all kinds of help that has come in from all around the USA and Canada as well. I would like to say thanks to all that are helping and for their family that they have left behind.

I'm not sure that I really ended the live reports very well but I am sure that others will answer any questions that I have not addressed. This is sure not the way we had planned to end our cruise and what we expected to return to home to. I might not be on here very much over the next several weeks but I am sure that all of my friends (read that all CC people) will understand.

Archived