Roma Pass

Our cruise ship will dock in Civitavecchia at 7am. We are planning to do Rome on our own -take the train to San Pietro and visit the Vatican.

My husband would also like to see the Colosseum. We want to skip the line by buying the Roma Pass online. But the website gave me the following options where we could pick up the tickets:

Collection site (PIT = Tourist Information Point):

• 060608, Via Attilio Benigni, 59. 9.00-16.00 lunedì-venerdì (chiuso nei giorni festivi) 9.00 am-4pm monday-friday (closed on holidays).
  • PIT Castel S. Angelo, Lungotevere Vaticano. 9.30 - 19.00.
  • PIT Cinque Lune, Piazza delle Cinque Lune (Piazza Navona). 9.30 - 19.00.
  • PIT Fiumicino, Aeroporto Leonardo Da Vinci - Arrivi Inter****onali Terminal C. 9.00 - 18.30.
  • PIT Minghetti, Via Marco Minghetti (angolo Via del Corso). 9.30 - 19.00.
  • PIT ****onale, Via ****onale (Palazzo delle Esposizioni). 9.30 - 19.00.
  • PIT S. Maria Maggiore, Via dell'Olmata. 9.30 - 19.00.
  • PIT Termini, Stazione Termini - Via Giovanni Giolitti, 34. 8.00 - 20.00.
  • PIT Trastevere, Piazza Sidney Sonnino. 9.30 - 19.00.

My question is: which one of these would be most convenient if we are in the Vatican area? Or would you rather buy the Roma Pass when you are in Rome?

Well, Castel S. Angelo belongs to the Pope and is quite walkable from St. Peter's. It will give you an excuse to see this remarkable structure. It is Hadrian's mausoleum, then a prison/stronghold for the Goths and then a prison cum fortress for the Pope. Very interesting museum inside, too.

Another option would be not to buy online but to go to the Palatine and buy it there. The box office is only a few hundred yards from the Colosseum and the ticket covers the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine - all of which are well worth seeing if you want to see some Roman ruins. The ticket office at the Palatine is never very long and the time you spend in line shouldn't be any longer than the detour your may make to find somewhere to pick up your online ticket.

There was a discussion on these boards recently about this -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=832312&highlight=palatine

Incidentally you can buy Colosseum tickets online which would help you to bypass the line. You will pay a premium but they will still cost less than the Roma Pass, as that also includes another free museum and 3 days' transport which you won't be able to use. See here http://goitaly.about.com/od/romeitaly/qt/colosseumticket.htm

I cannot say enough good things about the Roma Pass! (Castel Sant'Angelo is not far from the Vatican & is worth seeing if you have time to visit, and there are EXCELLENT views of Rome from inside.) But I take it your flight isn't coming into FCO, but that you have 1 day in Rome only as a shore excursion?

Not knowing your schedule, if you only have one day and you purchase the BIRG transportation ticket for 9 EUR (R/T Civitavecchia -- Rome + the entire Metro/Bus system of those 5 zones, including the City of Rome), the Roma Pass may not be in your best interest if you are only there for 1 day because your transporation is already taken care of w/ the BIRG. From my info, the online combo tickets for Colosseum/Palatine/Forum are 12.5 EUR. To do the Vatican & Colosseum/Palatine/Forum will be a full day, and so the additional sites afforded w/ the Roma Pass may not be in your best interest if you only have 1 day.

If you have more than 1 day, let me know; I'll pass along some info about the Roma&Piu Pass.

Archived