Need help with air...CT to San Juan

tracyg13

I am trying to find a reasonable price for air from
Hartford, CT to San Juan. We have never done the
Southern Caribbean cruise and would really like to
try the Destiny, but the prices for air are rediculous.
Any suggestions? What would be a good price?

I am a teacher and have to go April 17-24 2005.

San Juan is always expensive to fly to...always around $500. The only time I've ever bought the airfare through Carnival is when I flew to San Juan because it includes transfers, and if your flight is late or whatever, Carnival takes care of it. The cruise out of San Juan is great because you are in in port almost every day and Barbados is fabulous! Also, it seems to have a lot less children on it. Some things are worth paying extra for!

Tracyg13, We just booked flights to San Juan from Charlotte, NC i got lucky somehow, and got them for $367.00 R/T non-stop. I had been given several sites to check out, i went thru expedia.com....a good one for you might be vacationexpress.com also try orbitz.com Good Luck!

[quote name='tracyg13']I am trying to find a reasonable price for air from
Hartford, CT to San Juan. We have never done the
Southern Caribbean cruise and would really like to
try the Destiny, but the prices for air are rediculous.
Any suggestions? What would be a good price?
I am a teacher and have to go April 17-24 2005.[/QUOTE]
I can understand how you are feeling with the prices you are finding. I know it sounds ridiculous, but trust me on this one. Air from Hartford to Florida, the Caribbean and elsewhere during February and April school vacation get booked by parents in March and May of the previous years. Being a teacher, I know that you cannot deviate from the weekends. At times like these, sometimes it is better to take the cruise lines air if they have it available. What you risk with that is them flying you in a day or two early or back a day or two later. There is a good Travel Agency in Colchester as well as one in Hebron. This might be a situation when you want the help of one of them.

[quote name='jcanino']I can understand how you are feeling with the prices you are finding. [/QUOTE]
After getting into my office, I did a quick check on prices from BDL to SJU. The lowest available on the day of the cruise with times that would be comfortable is $607.75. If you were to leave the day before the cruise, the arrival time doesn't matter. Even so, the lowest price is $609.

As I mentioned previously, these dates fill up very quickly.

I found something at an online auction site that's pretty cheap (at the moment at least, the bidding isn't over yet), but it would require you to drive to Newark, NJ. That's only about 130 miles away from Hartford.

The current bid is $123 per person plus a $40 service charge for round trip air on a major U.S. carrier. You can depart anytime up until April 28th, which would work for you, and the only blackout dates are around Christmas, so that's no problem either. It looks like only two tickets are available though, so if you need more than that this wouldn't work for you.

The auction ends 10/28 at 9 p.m. eastern. If you want me to give you details let me know and I can e-mail them to you.

As for the company running the auction, I can't personally vouch for them yet though I think they are a pretty big player in this market. I booked a cruise with them for next year and haven't had any problems yet, but you are unlikely to have problems 10 months in advance. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law have used them in the past for cruises and have had good luck though.

And I have a friend that booked a cruise in a balcony room with them, only to be told a week later that the entire cruise had been chartered so he was bumped. In return they got him a cruise the next day from the same port in a suite for the balcony price, so he has a high customer satisfaction I would say.:D

I would also check Jet Blue out of JFK. ([url]www.jetblue.com[/url]) They have round trip flights from $312, but that price would have you getting into New York late on Sunday, 4/24 and you'd still have to drive back to Conneticut. If you wanted a flight that got in at a more reasonable hour it would be $382.

Good luck!

I just saw another one out of Newark for $312 per person roundtrip on American Airlines with times that look like they would work. The only downside is that the return flight gets into Newark at 9:27 p.m., so it would be after midnight when you got home.

It was at one of those bargain airfare sites. If you do a search at Google with the words "cheap" and "tickets", it will be the first link in the list of results.

We went 4th of July week - prices were cheaper out of Boston than Providence, so we flew out of Boston. We paid $434 per person. Keep checking - in one day the price for the same flight was as high as $609. It goes up and down - I called and asked the airlines and they said they have no control over it. You just have to keep checking and when you hit the price you are willing to pay, book it. Jet Blue out of JFK has some good pricing, but then you'd have to get there and add that price onto it!

[b][font=verdana][size=2]Option 1.[/size][/font][font=verdana][size=2][color=#990000] $266.40[/color][/size][/font][font=verdana][size=1][color=#666666] [/color][/size][/font][font=verdana][size=1] Average per Person.[/size][/font][font=verdana][size=2][color=#990000] $532.80[/color][/size][/font][font=verdana][size=1][color=#666666] [/color][/size][/font][font=verdana][size=1] for all passengers including all taxes and surcharges. [/size][/font][/b][img]http://www.beachdestinations.com/general/fly/DefaultImages_Air/Select1.gif[/img]
[font=Verdana][size=1][b]Sat, APR 16[/b][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]5:10 PM [/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1][color=#000080]Departs [/color][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]JFK, New York JFK, NY[/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]Sat, APR 16[/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]8:53 PM [/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1][color=#000080]Arrives [/color][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]SJU, San Juan, Puerto Rico[/size][/font][img]http://www.beachdestinations.com/general/fly/DefaultImages_Air/AA_logo.gif[/img][font=Verdana][size=1][color=#000080][b]American Airlines[/b]
AA-1639
Stop(s):0[/color][/size][/font][b][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1][color=#006600]Return Flight[/color][/size][/font][/b] [font=Verdana][size=1][b]Sun, APR 24[/b][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]10:10 PM [/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1][color=#000080]Departs [/color][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]SJU, San Juan, Puerto Rico[/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]Mon, APR 25[/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]01:57 AM [/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1][color=#000080]Arrives [/color][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]JFK, New York JFK, NY[/size][/font][img]http://www.beachdestinations.com/general/fly/DefaultImages_Air/AA_logo.gif[/img][font=Verdana][size=1][color=#000080][b]American Airlines[/b]
AA-1478
[/color][/size][/font]

266 per person going on the 16th ...returning on 24th

Check out flycheapabroad.com. Those dates Hartford to SJU was $606, Newark to SJU $306. Don't know what other airports are close to you, but maybe you could check it out yourself. Hope this helps:D

Archived