Original Deck Plans Aquitania

billroddy

Very cool - thanks for sharing that!

Thank you for sharing that with us. What a fantastic source of information!

She really was the "Ship Beautiful" and her interiors were possibly the most restrained of the era.

Davis' designs were more conservative than his partner Charles Mewes' "Imperator" class interiors, less gloomy and heavy.

(Even the Aquitania had a "Grill Room", although it was never advertised as such..)

If you ever want to see what the interiors were like, have a peek into the Ritz Hotel in London, which I believe was designed by their firm, as was the Automobile Club in Pall Mall.

If I could travel back in time, she is the one vessel I would like to travel on...

Now I'm off to read "The Only Way to Cross", again........

Cheers,

Quin

Thank you for sharing that with us. What a fantastic source of information!

She really was the "Ship Beautiful" and her interiors were possibly the most restrained of the era.

Davis' designs were more conservative than his partner Charles Mewes' "Imperator" class interiors, less gloomy and heavy.

(Even the Aquitania had a "Grill Room", although it was never advertised as such..)

If you ever want to see what the interiors were like, have a peek into the Ritz Hotel in London, which I believe was designed by their firm, as was the Automobile Club in Pall Mall.

If I could travel back in time, she is the one vessel I would like to travel on...

Now I'm off to read "The Only Way to Cross", again........

Cheers,

Quin

That is a wonderful book, written by a fastinating man.

Sharon

Quin

It is a pity that there is no floating equivalent to Ritz, following the Louis XVI style. When compared to such opulence in terms of interior decor, modern ships aspiring to luxury are just dissapointing... Even Hapaq Lloyd's Europa, the current most luxurious ship in the world according to Berlitz, sparsely makes a difference.

Only the interiors of Peter Deilmann's Deutschland are able to remind one somehow of more gracious eras in ocean travel. And in a lesser degree perhaps the pseudo-Edwardian style of the former Rennaisance R- class vessels.

Come on, Cunard, make the change and build Aquitania II (not 2 please)!:) :) :)

It is a pity that there is no floating equivalent to Ritz, following the Louis XVI style. When compared to such opulence in terms of interior decor, modern ships aspiring to luxury are just dissapointing... Even Hapaq Lloyd's Europa, the current most luxurious ship in the world according to Berlitz, sparsely makes a difference.

Only the interiors of Peter Deilmann's Deutschland are able to remind one somehow of more gracious eras in ocean travel. And in a lesser degree perhaps the pseudo-Edwardian style of the former Rennaisance R- class vessels.

Come on, Cunard, make the change and build Aquitania II (not 2 please)!:) :) :)

I agree completely. I found this site which has "colour" pictures of the "Imperator".

Whilst I prefer the Aquitania's interiors, Mewes' creations are quite breathtaking, albeit a bit gloomy. (It's easy to spot those 1st class rooms, such as the Smoking Room which were not designed by him.)

The 1st Class Social Hall makes the Queens Room on the "QM2" appear somewhat bland..... as with Ritz-Carlton Grill and the "QM2"s Grill Rooms and Lounge.

I understand that "one-way" wiring (?) was installed, as was common during the period which resulted in many electrical fires over the years, ultimately ending her career with Cunard as the "Berengaria" in 1938.

With all that wood etc, it makes you think about SOLAS 2010 compliance..... and the premature retirement of a certain much loved liner....

I'll stop rambling now.......

Q

http://www.freewebs.com/ultimateimperator/fcsocialhall.htm

I agree completely. I found this site which has "colour" pictures of the "Imperator".

Whilst I prefer the Aquitania's interiors, Mewes' creations are quite breathtaking, albeit a bit gloomy. (It's easy to spot those 1st class rooms, such as the Smoking Room which were not designed by him.)

The 1st Class Social Hall makes the Queens Room on the "QM2" appear somewhat bland..... as with Ritz-Carlton Grill and the "QM2"s Grill Rooms and Lounge.

I understand that "one-way" wiring (?) was installed, as was common during the period which resulted in many electrical fires over the years, ultimately ending her career with Cunard as the "Berengaria" in 1938.

Many thanks for this wonderful site.

Mewes' design exudes pure luxury, no matter how gloomy appears (probably reflecting Teutonic influences).

I agree that a comparison to the Queen's Room or the Grills on QM2 (whose decorative success is rather a long debate) renders the latter bland. But let's concede it is just a matter of style.

As to wiring, if I'm not mistaken two fires within ten days' time (one in third class and the other in the main lounge) doomed that beautiful girl in 1938. Interestingly, poor wiring seems to have been an endemic problem in German 'passagierschiffe', and even the famous Bremen and Europa were affected by this. Actually, it was one of the reasons that the Americans rejected the Europa after WWII, abandoning her to the French to become the LIberte.

Archived