Well, trip insurance claim was denied. The perfect ending.

Alaskabound77

did you even think that if you had flown in the day before like everyone advises you would not have had any of these problems? It is hard to have alot of sympathy when you try to fly in the same day. Sorry, but common sense should have prevailed:(

Common sense would have dictated that such a snarky response should not have been typed, much less sent.

But alas, common sense doesn't always prevail.

Common sense would have dictated that such a snarky response should not have been typed, much less sent.

But alas, common sense doesn't always prevail.

Thanks for this comment. I thought it was mean-spirited, as well. Obviously, flying in a day early is the best plan. Unfortunately, an extra day of hassle and travel will cause lots of people to rethink their plan to cruise at all. We will probably try a Disney cruise in a few years because it will be fun for the kids. But then we probably will not cruise until again retirement. With busy careers, an extra day spent waiting to get onto a ship is simply not an option.

As for the trip insurance issue, I did have the TA investigate further and she came to the same conclusion. So remember to READ YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCE DOCUMENTS CAREFULLY!! Understand exactly what you are buying and what will be covered. In this case, the language regarding the carrier caused delay was imbedded in the language about Trip Delay and not mentioned in the language in the Trip Interruption part. That is part of why it was so hard to understand why we were not covered. I'm actually a pretty intelligent person and trying to read the travel insurannce contract has been difficult, at best. Considering this policy is with AIG, it's time for me to move on. And as I watch the financial markets crash down around us all, I wonder how much vacationing I'll be doing at all in retirement.

As for the trip insurance issue, I did have the TA investigate further and she came to the same conclusion. So remember to READ YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCE DOCUMENTS CAREFULLY!! Understand exactly what you are buying and what will be covered. In this case, the language regarding the carrier caused delay was imbedded in the language about Trip Delay and not mentioned in the language in the Trip Interruption part. That is part of why it was so hard to understand why we were not covered. I'm actually a pretty intelligent person and trying to read the travel insurannce contract has been difficult, at best. Considering this policy is with AIG, it's time for me to move on. And as I watch the financial markets crash down around us all, I wonder how much vacationing I'll be doing at all in retirement.

I would be interested in your research on which policy would have covered your delay/issue?

I have started researching and looking at both CSA Luxe and HTH (the two that cover preexisting conditions and can be paid at final payment). It looks like delays start at 6 hours but some like mechanical may be 24 hours, so you would have to be at that airport delayed for 24 hours before you could claim reimbursement. I am trying to verify. This would actually be a good discussion for a new thread. But if that's the case these polices would never help if flying in the same day. Do any?

I would be interested in your research on which policy would have covered your delay/issue?

I have started researching and looking at both CSA Luxe and HTH (the two that cover preexisting conditions and can be paid at final payment). It looks like delays start at 6 hours but some like mechanical may be 24 hours, so you would have to be at that airport delayed for 24 hours before you could claim reimbursement. I am trying to verify. This would actually be a good discussion for a new thread. But if that's the case these polices would never help if flying in the same day. Do any?

Jade, I too am looking at the detail and thus far have not found a policy at any price that would have covered this particular situation.

Many policies automatically exclude travel cancelled by airlines and weather unless there is at least a 24 hour delay and even then, it's dicey.

I am inferring that the risk of flight cancellation, delays and weather is so great that no one will insure the risk.

[quote name='hammybee']Jade, I too am looking at the detail and thus far have not found a policy at any price that would have covered this particular situation.

Many policies automatically exclude travel cancelled by airlines and weather unless there is at least a 24 hour delay and even then, it's dicey.

I am inferring that [B]the risk of flight cancellation, delays and[/B] [B]weather is so great that no one will insure the risk[/B].[/quote]

Hammybee, I just posted this on the "Ask a Cruise Question" Site as I thought there might be a wider audience. This was done prior to seeing your post. I think you really need to fly 24 hours in advance and perhaps this means 24 hours in advance at your connecting flight location (if flights are not direct).

Let me know if you see the pros or cons to the 3 policies I have researched (I know Tru Value is the cheapest and the other two cover pre-existing conditions at final payment)?

I just checked some dates and for us (could change a lot by age?) CSA Luxe appears to be less money than HTH. You have to plug a date into the system close to your final payment due date or the rate is considerably more. I plugged in a "$20,000 trip payment" and the difference was "only" $50.00 per person per policy (ie for a couple CSA was $100.00 more than TruValue and HTH was about $100.00 more than CSA Luxe).

==============
[B]Travel protection Policies - Trip Interuption including weather and plane mechanical[/B] I thought I would look at a few Travel Protection Policies and what they cover as far as "Travel Delays", since it came up on the HAL web site that someone was not covered (I believe AIG policy) when they missed their cruise departure due to their planes mechanical breakdown (I think AIG).

I am personally interested in 3 different policies for various trips, so thought I would do a comparison. If anyone has anything to add, please feel free.

I looked at TruTravel (cheapest option for package plan) and may be fine if you do not want pre-existing conditions covered and also if traveling from a home port. It is through Nationwide and is A+ rated. Options can be added for additional costs. The other two I prefer are CSA Luxe and HTH as they cover pre-existing conditions (includes family members) and can be purchased at final payment.

Here is what was sent to me by "InsureMyTrip.com"

"The cost of your return flight home in a covered emergency would fall under the Trip Interruption coverage. Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption would also reimburse you for any cancellation fees assessed by the travel agent. You should also note that our application does not ask you to itemize your costs at purchase. Your reimbursement will be based on your receipts."

"The delay times vary from policy to policy. With CSA Travel Protection, the delay would have to be 6+ hours. However, in order to be covered for cancellation due to inclement weather or mechanical breakdown with this policy, travel services must be ceased for at least 24 hour consecutive hours."

Both companies (CSA Luxe and HTH) have a 6hr Travel delay before any coverage would go into effect for reasons listed below for each company.

=========================

"HTH Worldwide provides Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption for:

# Common Carrier delays resulting from inclement weather, or mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship or boat or motor coach on which you are scheduled to travel, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation; # Arrangements canceled by an airline, cruise line, motor coach company, or tour operator, resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship or boat or motor coach on which the Insured is scheduled to travel, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation.

HTH Worldwide also provides the waiver of the pre-existing medical condition exclusion if you purchase the policy prior to or within 24 hours of your Final Trip Payment."

HTH Worldwide:
Travel Delay
If your Covered Trip is delayed for 6 hours or more, we will reimburse you, up to the amount shown in the Schedule for reasonable additional expenses incurred by you for hotel accommodations, meals, telephone calls and local transportation while you are delayed. We will not pay benefits for expenses incurred after travel becomes possible.

Travel Delay must be caused by or result from:

1. Common Carrier delay; or
2. loss or theft of your passport(s), travel documents or money; or
3. quarantine (except as a result of a pandemic or epidemic);
4. hijacking; or
5. natural disaster or adverse weather; or
6. a documented traffic accident while you are en route to departure; or
7. unannounced strike; or
8. a civil disorder; or
9. your, a Family Member traveling with you, a Domestic Partner Traveling with you or a Traveling Companion's Injury or Sickness; or
10. a Family Member traveling with you or a Traveling Companion's death.

===================
CSA Travel Protection-Web direct Luxe:
Trip Delay
COVERAGE G
TRIP DELAY

PART A BENEFITS If an Insured is delayed for 6 hours or more during the Covered Trip, due to:

1. any delay of a Common Carrier. The delay must be certified by the Travel Supplier;
2. a traffic accident in which an Insured or Traveling Companion are directly involved (must be substantiated by a police report);
3. lost or stolen passports, travel documents or money (must be substantiated by a police report);
4. quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot; or
5. documented weather condition preventing the Insured from continuing on the Covered Trip.

Benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount,
for: reasonable expenses for hotel accommodations, telephone calls, meals, and local transportation up to $150 per day necessarily incurred by an Insured for which he or she has proof of purchase and which were not paid for or provided by any other source.

PART B PET CARE
If the Insured is delayed by a Common Carrier while en route to their return destination after the Covered Trip is completed and has placed their cat or dog in a kennel for the duration of the Covered Trip and the Insured is unable to collect them on the day previously agreed with the kennel, benefits will be paid at $25 per day, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount to cover the necessary additional kennel fees.

PART C CONDITIONS

The Insured must provide the following documentation when presenting a claim for these benefits:

1. written confirmation of the reasons for delay from the Travel Supplier whose delay resulted in the loss, including but not limited to; scheduled departure and return times and actual departure and return times;
2. written confirmation from the kennel advising the original pick-up date and the actual pick-up date.

Benefits will not be paid for any expenses, which have been reimbursed, or for any services that have been provided by the Travel Supplier.

These benefits will not duplicate any benefits payable under the policy or any
coverage(s) attached to the policy.

============

"Below are the Tru Travel definitions:

TRIP DELAY

The Company will reimburse You for Covered Expenses on a one-time basis, up to the maximum shown in the Confirmation of Coverage, if You are delayed en route to or from the Covered Trip for six (6) or more hours due to a defined
Hazard:

Covered Expenses include:
(a) Any prepaid, unused, non-refundable land and water accommodations;
(b) Any reasonable additional expenses incurred;
(c) An Economy Fare from the point where You ended Your Covered Trip to a destination where You can catch up to the Covered Trip; or
(d) A one-way Economy Fare to return You to Your originally scheduled return destination.

Hazard means:
a) Any delay of a Common Carrier (including Inclement Weather).
b) Any delay by a traffic accident en route to a departure, in which You or a Traveling Companion is not directly involved.
c) Any delay due to lost or stolen passports, travel documents or money, quarantine, hijacking, unannounced strike, natural disaster, civil commotion or riot.
d) A closed roadway causing cessation of travel to the destination of the Covered Trip (substantiated by the department of transportation, state police,
etc.)

Again, for delay, it's "any delay". Below is the information for
cancellation/interruption:

Strike that causes complete cessation of services for at least 24 consecutive hours.
Weather that causes complete cessation of services for at least 24 consecutive hours.

You can read each policy information by clicking on the underlined "plan name and terms" on our web site."

Archived