Well, trip insurance claim was denied. The perfect ending.

Alaskabound77

Hi everyone-

I was so hoping that I would be able to come here and give you great news about our trip insurance claim but, alas, that is not to be. We were reimbursed for our food and taxis but I guess the insurance does not cover "carried caused delays." I don't know why I expected anything else after our trip from HALL.

I hope everyone is doing well and we are contemplating a Disney Cruise in 2012. So when you see that a huge hurricane is heading to Florida and causing all cruise ships to flee the area, you'll know exactly when I was planning my trip.

Happy sailing -

Alaskabound

(the girl that actually missed her dam boat)

I am so sorry for you are your family that your vacations was ruined. But....I have to say when I read your trip report I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. You are very funny:D . I even book marked it, so when I'm having a bad day I will read it:)

Ah, you are so sweet. I either laugh or cry when I think about it. Sort of crying now that we won't be reimbursed for the missed nights.

Did you have insurance through HAL or a third party? Not that it should make a difference, but I'm really not understanding why such a carrier delay would not be covered. :confused:

The policy is with Travel Guard (AIG). They have now turned it over to the whole legal team and I'm feeling outnumbered on this one. I think the most annoying part is that I probably spoke to 10 different people while on the trip from AIG. They all knew our situation, knew our policy etc etc and no one ever mentioned that carrier caused delays were not covered. I need to do more investigation into this but it's hard to even muster up the energy to call them again.:(

I am so sorry to learn that your insurance claim was denied.

Did you book your insurance through HAL or a third party?

If I remember correctly -- you bought airline tickets through HAL???

No, we bought the airline tickets ourselves and bought the trip insurance through the travel agent.

...this stinks. :( I hoped all your patience and good humor would be rewarded.

I'm not criticizing any other posters - just know when I get bad news I don't want to be asked, "Are you sure? Isn't there anything else you can do?"

So, here comes a big bundle of positive energy I'm sending your way...riiiight there. Feel that hug?

Now, go turn off the phone and have a bubble bath.

I currently work in the Travel Insurance industry for about another week and then I am done. I have 5 years experience in this. Can you ask the airlines for some compensation? What insurance company did you go through? I know it is probably US based, but many DO have benefits for delay of common carrier. Did they send you a letter detailing the denial?

I currently work in the Travel Insurance industry for about another week and then I am done. I have 5 years experience in this. Can you ask the airlines for some compensation? What insurance company did you go through? I know it is probably US based, but many DO have benefits for delay of common carrier. Did they send you a letter detailing the denial?

I plan on writing letters to Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, and to HAL. I'm not really looking for anything from them, but I want all of them to know about the role they played in our crappy vacation. I don't think I'll ever fly on Alaska or American again.

We bought Travel Guard through AIG (the Gold policy). Yes, I received formal letters yesterday but have not opened them yet. An attorney called me at work to tell me this before we received the letter.

An attorney called me at work to tell me this before we received the letter.

Was this YOUR attorney, or one for the insurance co? I'd be mighty suspicious if it is the insurance co's. Why would they have high-priced help phone you to tell you what the letter says? Things that make you go "hmmmm......"

Sorry to hear the outcome of your trip (which I know you researched and planned extensively) is right up there with the rest of the trip. Bummer. Nothing like kicking you while you are down. I cannot believe you're considering another cruise vacation.

Was this YOUR attorney, or one for the insurance co? I'd be mighty suspicious if it is the insurance co's. Why would they have high-priced help phone you to tell you what the letter says? Things that make you go "hmmmm......"

Sorry to hear the outcome of your trip (which I know you researched and planned extensively) is right up there with the rest of the trip. Bummer. Nothing like kicking you while you are down. I cannot believe you're considering another cruise vacation.

CowPrincess-

You are right. It does sound weird. I am going to get on this next week. If I had known that the trip insurance didn't cover airline delays, I don't think we would have bought it in the first place. I think we paid around $700 for everyone and got reimbursed for $900. But assembling the trip insurance claim packet took SEVERAL hours of my time. What a pain.

Hi everyone-

I was so hoping that I would be able to come here and give you great news about our trip insurance claim but, alas, that is not to be. We were reimbursed for our food and taxis but I guess the insurance does not cover "carried caused delays." I don't know why I expected anything else after our trip from HALL.

I hope everyone is doing well and we are contemplating a Disney Cruise in 2012. So when you see that a huge hurricane is heading to Florida and causing all cruise ships to flee the area, you'll know exactly when I was planning my trip.

Happy sailing -

Alaskabound

(the girl that actually missed her dam boat)

Don't give up, send your story to the CEO's of American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Holland America, CCL and their parent company CUK and copy the Attorneys Generals of each state where the above have their headquarters. I have had a "flunky" to the CEO of Bank of America call me with an apology for their screw up when I sent a letter to the CEO...

The CEOs usually care, customer service gets paid by the hour and probably gets an "ataboy" when they come in under budget.

I know it's hard when you work but hang in there....I'm retired so my spending 8 months to get $20 bucks back from NCL is what I do to keep me from napping all day....

Don't give up, send your story to the CEO's of American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Holland America, CCL and their parent company CUK and copy the Attorneys Generals of each state where the above have their headquarters. I have had a "flunky" to the CEO of Bank of America call me with an apology for their screw up when I sent a letter to the CEO...

The CEOs usually care, customer service gets paid by the hour and probably gets an "ataboy" when they come in under budget.

I know it's hard when you work but hang in there....I'm retired so my spending 8 months to get $20 bucks back from NCL is what I do to keep me from napping all day....

Thanks for the advice. I will start to work on this. I have tried to start the letter to HAL and then have to fight the urge to say, "just go read my story on cruisecritic and here is the link." And I know they would never do that anyway.

Archived