Rotterdam - ship to airport

mbarker

We will be debarking in Rotterdam and flying home the same day. How far is it from the ship to the airport? What is the best way to get there and how long will it take?

Thanks for any info.

Which airport? Rotterdam (about 15 minutes) or Amsterdam (about 60 minutes depending on traffic)

We used a taxi shuttel service for Amsterdam:

http://www.dagtoertaxi.nl/services.htm

or

http://www.schipholairporttaxi.nl/

You can also use the subway and train. But somehow uncomfortable with much luggage.

Works both.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you very much for the reply.

I am sorry for the confusion -- I looked into flights and it appears as though Amsterdam is our best option for returning to the States. But I didn't realize it was so far from the port. Best flights leave mid-morning so I'm not sure we can make one of those unless debark starts VERY early in the morning.

Thank you again for the information.

I am sorry for the confusion -- I looked into flights and it appears as though Amsterdam is our best option for returning to the States. But I didn't realize it was so far from the port. Best flights leave mid-morning so I'm not sure we can make one of those unless debark starts VERY early in the morning.

The city of Amsterdam (and it's population of 0.75 million) is approx 80km N of the different city of Rotterdam (and it's population of 0.6 million).

AMS/Amsterdam Schiphol airport is 17km SW of AMSTERDAM

RTM/Rotterdam Zestienhoven airport is 6km N of ROTTERDAM

"The airport" is very close to the city, 6km. However, it looks like you're intending to travel from AMS/Schiphol (Amsterdam) airport after docking in Rotterdam, and it's approx 70km distant. The Netherlands has an excellent rail network, it should be easy to grab a cab from cruise terminal to the train station and, a train direct to Schiphol.

Thank you again for the information.

I really think mid-morning departure from Amsterdam if you disembark in Rotterdam is very (most likely) too tight. Try to find a flight later in the day

Most airlines often want people to check in 3 hours before departure for USA flights. In any case not later then 2 hours prior, unless you can checkin on-line and print your boardingcards.

After checkin you also have to go through passportcontrol and also security-checks at the gate.

In the morning you will travel in rush-hour with lots of traffic, not just on the roads but also in trains. There are directtrains from Rotterdam CS(contruction going on in that station) to Schiphol airport, but with busy trains and luggage it is not very convenient. Remember ALWAYS keep your luggage with you, as in busy trains sometimes pickpockers are very active.

Europoort (not sure of the spelling!) in Rotterdam is the biggest port I have ever seen and about the size of a city itself. We drove from the port to both Rotterdam and Amsterdam an travel time was fairly swift outsite of the rush hour; but painfully slow during heavy traffic.

I would take a taxi, but, depending on the time of day allow plenty of time for the journey.

Europoort (not sure of the spelling!) in Rotterdam is the biggest port I have ever seen and about the size of a city itself. We drove from the port to both Rotterdam and Amsterdam an travel time was fairly swift outsite of the rush hour; but painfully slow during heavy traffic.

I would take a taxi, but, depending on the time of day allow plenty of time for the journey.

Cruiseships donot dock in Europoort (only the ferry does).

Cruiseships dock near city-center in Rotterdam on Wilhelminakade.

Still it isnot walking distance from the station you need a cab. Trams or metro (underground) arenot comfortable with luggage.

Traveltime by car between Rotterdam and Schiphol airport is about 50 minutes, but in rushhour it can easily be double that or even more.

We had a mid-morning flight from Schiphol to the US. We had stayed the night at the airport hotel and were most thankful that we had done that. Check-in took a very long time due to the long lines at every counter. Security clearance is at the gate and starts about 1 hour prior to departure. There is a line outside the gate area as well. We were also glad that we did not have to take a train. The train station is in the airport. However, to get down to the platform you have to hand carry your luggage down stairs, no escalators. The trains are crowded during peak times but very good and frequent. I hope this helps.

Providing invaluable information for travellers on their first visit to a destination, this gem of a site (www.toandfromtheairport.com], which is the brainchild of an airline pilot, tells you all you need to know about the various transport options - car, bus, train, shuttle and other forms of public transport - for getting to and from airports all around the world. How you're going to get to your hotel from an airport is often not even considered until you land at your destination, but if you haven't planned ahead, it can end up being a very costly exercise. While in these circumstances, most people just go for a taxi, there are often better and much cheaper alternatives available. Sometimes, of course, your choices will be limited by circumstance. For instance, on a recent trip to Rome, I caught a taxi from the airport to my hotel because flight delays meant I landed there at 3am, so I had little choice. The ride cost me an arm and a leg, but when I left Rome, I took the train to the airport, which stops right inside the terminal and was extremely quick, comfortable and cheap. So it really does pay to do your homework when it comes to airport transport options - literally!

Archived