Thinking About NCL Mexican Riviera

vintage914racer

We did this cruise last Nov and I call tell you it was VERY chilly to me both the first day going and the last day coming back. I know there is NO WAY I would have laid out by the pool those two days. I don't know about March.

I did want to comment on this thread to tell you that a couple of the ports are fantastic ports. We loved Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. Ixtapa was a neat port, but NCL doens't go there any longer on the 7 day itinenary. I hate that NCL did away with the 8 day itinenary.

To compare it to the Caribbean ... well.. we find that hard to do when we talk to people about the Mexican Riviera because they are really very different. To us, the Caribbean water is a lot prettier, however the land (trees, etc) were more beautiful to us in the M.R. than in the Caribbean.

I personally wouldn't want to go to Mexico. The news is full of horrible happenings down there.

Mexico is like anyplace you travel. You need to take care ....everywhere. I have traveled all over Mexico. Non Cruise, also did the touresty Rivera cruise, all safe. Went to Florida.....got robbed.:eek: Went to NYC had a blast, no problems:D I would do the Mexican Riv again with no reservations. We did ours in OCT it was warm.

I personally wouldn't want to go to Mexico. The news is full of horrible happenings down there.

Would you care to share what horrible happenings are going on down there?:confused: Just to say there's horrible things happening there does nothing to help anyone! I doubt you'll be back to explain as you usually hit and run. :rolleyes:

I love Mexico and have never been treated poorly so I just don't get your comment..

My daughter and her hubby spend about 6 weeks a year there and love it also.

OP, I love the cruise to Mexico and have 2 planned this year and have gone once before and it was in March. The first and last sea day's were a bit chilly but the other 5 days the weather was fabulous and very warm. Lots of pool time available.

The people are very warm and friendly and speak very good English...at least in all of the places I have been. :)

No need to bring pesos but do bring lots of small bills as you will get your change in pesos.

Have a great cruise!

We did the mexican riveria in April 2006 and it was warm at the port. Yes we could sit by the pool and get some sun. It was the 8 day cruise and it was beautiful. We first stopped at Acapolco which I did not enjoy too much but that is just me. It was my first experience with seeing military personal decked out in all their gear and guns. It was a little scary for me. Also there was an assasination a few days before we arrived so the military was on high alert(so we were told). The one thing in Acapolco I did enjoy and was amazed at were the cliff divers. That was great the divers put on quite a show for us. We didnt go to Ixtapia but we did go to Puerto Vallarta which was awesome. My favorite port by far. The churchs there are gorgous and I actually felt very safe mind you we had an excellent tour guide.

Cabo San Lucas was beautiful too but unfortunately our tour guide was more interested in seeing his friends in a little town past cabo and we didnt see too much of cabo. But once again the church there was beautiful the architecture was incredible.

If you have any kind of arthritis or back issues you will feel it when coming back to LA. In a matter of two hours or a little more it went from 80 degrees to 65 degrees and that temperature drop put my DH in bed for the last two days of the trip. But that affected him that way because of how bad his condition is. If it wasnt for his back problems I would do that cruise again in a heart beat. The waters are gorgous and the ship was beautiful. Pulling up to the different ports was my favorite part of the cruise. I highly recommend this cruise it was our first and it was terrific. I hope this helps you. :)

Wow- that's a blanket statement. Yes, there are dangerous areas in Mexico, but if you aren't involved in drugs and don't go looking for trouble, you will be perfectly safe. Border towns do not accurately reflect life in the rest of Mexico.

Personally, I feel safer in Mexico than I do in the US but if you are uneasy with different situations, it might be best to stay home.

As far as comparisons, we love the Caribbean for the beaches and clear blue water but love Mexico for the culture. It is typically cooler the first and last days but beautiful when in port. These boards are a great resource for excursions. Mexico on your own can be done, but there are many great independent tour guides that will will show you what life is like here.

You will have a great time no matter which destination you choose!

After several caribbean cruises our group is pondering a Mexican Riviera cruise in March. I've heard that it can be chilly on the at sea days heading south and returning back north to LA. Is this true? Is warm enough to lay out at the pool?

We found it a bit breezy in March '08, but the sun was out and it was still enjoyable. We did not have weather that made you retreat to your cabin and sulk!

Any pros/cons over a caribbean cruise?

Mexico is different from the Caribbean in many ways. I think this is a very personal thing and people have varied opinions. We enjoyed our trip on the Star last spring break. We did not feel unsafe anywhere and did not experience any problems in port. Like many ports in the Caribbean, there is poverty and crappy cabs and not so clean beaches. We did however, also find lovely beaches, nice people and a great zip line excursion in Puerta Vallarta. We also enjoyed the port at Cabo and our sightseeing there.

We felt after years of focus on the Caribbean for cruise travel that it was time to try the Mexican Riveria. I am glad we did. Will I go back? Not sure. I have now scratched it off the list, so no great need.

By the way, the port had issues with luggage and porters on our trip and I understand that is a problem faced periodically by NCL. It was a warm (ok, sweaty and hot) and unfriendly way to start the trip. Fortunately, it got much better from there!

i would return in a heartbeat..

during my military stint..my best friends were of Hispanic desent

and grew to enjoy their language, families and culture..so when

it came to my first visit to mexico i felt like i was home..

embarked 5 times from san pedro..first couple of day s at sea were

not much different from the weather in LA..south of cabo..seems like

each passing mile it got warmer and more humid..

We're headed there next September, so we can enjoy the Sea of Cortez too, along with a full day at Topolobampo & the chance to see Copper Canyon!

11-Day Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez Round-trip San Francisco

Ship: Norwegian Sun

Embarkation port: San Francisco

Ports of call: San Francisco; La Paz (Pichilingue); Mazatlan; Puerto Vallarta; Cabo San Lucas

Personally I like the water in the eastern and western Caribbean far better, but Mexico has a charm all its own. I can't wait!

In my experience and having sailed this itinerary numerous times that one can usually expect the first and last day of the cruise to be cool especially in the winter months from November to March. The further south you get the hotter and more humid it gets. It can also be very breezy at sea which makes it even cooler. I just did the Mexican cruise in Aug and the last two days of the cruise coming back to Los Angeles the weather was cool, overcast and breezy. Not the best weather to lie around the pool and this was in Aug! We just went to the indoor pool area. The rest of the cruise it was sunny and warm - just perfect! You could just be lucky and have nice weather in March, but then again??? I've been on Caribbean cruises where the weather was overcast and breezy on some days and you really couldn't be around the pool. I think the main difference is that when you are on a Caribbean cruise you are sailing from Florida which is in a humid tropical climate vs California which is a must more dryer temperate climate with the Pacific Ocean much colder than the Caribbean sea. This cool marine air comes off the Pacific ocean and can make the weather quite cool and overcast. Also California's rainy season runs from November to April. Again if this a major concern to you stick with the Caribbean. I hope this helps.

Archived