Bringing Wine on board

tory707

Past Azamara travelers...I know azamara tell their customers that you can only bring on 2 bottles of wine for consumtion in your room during at Embarktation. Have you ever tried to bring on wine from the other ports of call? wondering if they did indeed take it till the cruise was over or do they let you bring it to your room? We would really like to try wine from each port for consumption before dinner on our veranda. Any help is appreciated.

We were on the Quest mid August. We tried to bring a bottle of wine onboard from one of the ports and they did take it from us. It was placed in our cabin the last day onboard. They have you put everything through the scanner when you return to the ship from a port.

I'd have to say from my experience onboard the Quest in Dec. that they are pretty sticky about the two bottles of wine per cabin, and no spirits. We had 3 cabins for ourselves, and four adult children. My husband and I brought 3 bottles of wine, and one magnum of champagne for NYE. My adult children wanted to bring their own spirits, I believe it was rum but could have been brandy. DH and I put two bottles of wine in my suitcase, and the magnum and one bottle of wine in his. Just prior to embarkation in Acapulco (which I will NEVER do again as there is no x-ray equipment at that port) they went through everyone's bags in the terminal, hand searched every piece with an agent from the Quest overseeing the search. They found the magnum and were about to take it away, but my husband argued that the rule said two bottles, it did not state what size bottle, so they let it pass. Meanwhile I was going through a different line and had no problem with my two bottles, however my 25 yr. old daughter had her bottle of spirits seized, and returned to her at the end of the cruise. So it ended up that my DH and I actually had three bottles of wine and the magnum for our cabin "allocation" and my daughter "lost" the use of her booze but did have it returned. I guess you take your chances. My feeling was that they would only stop a bag if they saw more than 2 bottles in the bag, and I doubted they would keep a tally of bottles per cabin when they are scanning the bags, but the magnum threw them. We paid the regular corkage fee for the magnum when we had dinner in Prime C. Hope this helps.

We just got back & took one bottle of wine & one bottle of brandy on baord & neither were taken from us. Ialso bought a botle of wine in port one day & again no problem. BTW they left cork screw in the fridge so they must know guest will do that & the half bottles of wine they provide in the minibar are screw top.

They do reserve the right to take it away so I guess you just have to be prepared to take a chance.:cool:

jo

We brought on 2 bottles of champagne at the start in our hand luggage and had no problem. Butler brought us champagne flutes for drinking in cabin and again no problems.

I bought some limoncello as a present for husband (not on cruise with me) and no problem bringing it on board, though it would not have worried me if they had kept it to the last day as it was a gift.

Coming on board one day the couple in front had a bottle of wine in their hand luggage and that went through no problem. However I spoke to some others who had things taken and kept to last day but that was vodka and brandy, 2 bottles of each.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
Past Azamara travelers...I know azamara tell their customers that you can only bring on 2 bottles of wine for consumtion in your room during at Embarktation. Have you ever tried to bring on wine from the other ports of call? wondering if they did indeed take it till the cruise was over or do they let you bring it to your room? We would really like to try wine from each port for consumption before dinner on our veranda. Any help is appreciated.

Hi, just off 12 night West Med on the Journey. Bought wine in every port and were never questioned about it. We had a fantastic time - enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
What is the price of corkage in the dining room?

I believe that the corkage fee is $25 +18% gratuity. We just returned from the 10/11 Quest and brought 2 bottles onboard upon embarkation with no problem. We also bought a bottle in Cyprus and they said nothing. We did see others have their purchases taken and held until the last night. I think it's somewhat arbitrary and is based upon who is at the scanner at the time. We were given a gift of olive oil by our guide in Sorrento and they tried to take it until I told them what it was and they let it go through. To be honest, the wine prices on the Quest were some of the most reasonable that I have seen on just about any cruise ship. We had some excellent bottles for $30-$35 and there were some for $25. If you brought your own and paid a corkage fee you would probably be paying more. We bought some very good wine at a small groceery store near our hotel in Civitavecchia for about 15 euros for both and enjoyed them on our balcony with a cheese plate ordered through room service. That was treat!

Ok...I just returned from 11 nights on the Journey. Every port we stopped at we purchased 1 or 2 local wines to drink on our veranda. Put it in our back-pack, never did we get questioned. Actually one guy that was manning th xray said nice bottle of wine!

Ok...I just returned from 11 nights on the Journey. Every port we stopped at we purchased 1 or 2 local wines to drink on our veranda. Put it in our back-pack, never did we get questioned. Actually one guy that was manning th xray said nice bottle of wine!

Hi Tory,

It sounds like they were a little more relaxed about this on Journey than on Quest (which we disembarked from on Oct. 28th). We didn't bring wine on board (other than our 2 bottles on embarkation) but I had one bottle of beer (for DH) in my backpack in one of the ports, which they picked up on the scanner, and then noted my name and cabin number on a list that they were keeping. DH did get to keep the beer.

Did they have the large sign posted at the gangway entrance advising of the alcohol ban? It was always prominently displayed on Quest.

Hi Susan...No nothing at all posted. They were actually very nice. I think if you keep it in like a backpack they won't bother you. If you keep it out where others can see you taking it on I can see where they may stop you. Suprised to hear they noted it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from Journey (Nov. 22). Took 2 bottles on at embarcation and bought bottles at several other ports. Put them in our bags and carried them on with no problem. We also bought liquor in the gift shop and took it right to our cabin. Also, know that their wine selection is very good on the ship. Our traveling companions are wine distributors and were quite impressed with the wines and the prices of them, although we did order better bottles each night. Thought I'd mention this since you sound like you enjoy wine as we do.

Just returned from Journey (Nov. 22). Took 2 bottles on at embarcation and bought bottles at several other ports. Put them in our bags and carried them on with no problem. We also bought liquor in the gift shop and took it right to our cabin. Also, know that their wine selection is very good on the ship. Our traveling companions are wine distributors and were quite impressed with the wines and the prices of them, although we did order better bottles each night. Thought I'd mention this since you sound like you enjoy wine as we do.

If this is the case then AZ has a much more relaxed liquor policy than orthers.

We are going to take our chances and see what happens. We will buy some Ron Solera in Acapulco. It's excellent rum, and if they take until the end of the cruise, so be it. We'll take it home with us. If not, my husband will be glad to drink it on our veranda, and we'll buy more in Huatulco to take home:D.

Archived