Stock Obc Not Combinable Anymore

jmezmom

You cannot apply an NCC to a sailing before Oct. 15th, then later change to a different sailing and still keep the combined OBCs.

Usually, with fuel surcharges, if you weren't paying them when you made the originally booking, then you change that sailing to a different one, still keeping the same booking number, then you don't pay fuel surcharges. Some reps. at RCI don't know this and some TAs don't either.

Well, the rep I spoke to doesn't understand that because he upped my surcharge when I changed the date even though I told him I know quite a few people who have changed their ship and date and their surcharge was not upped! One day when I feel like arguing or talking to people that don't understand the rules themselves I'll call them to discuss it again, but for now, I just don't have the energy or even care.

My problem is, I still have a few Next Cruise Certificates, and wanted to apply them to cruise's I already have booked! Now this changes the booking number, therfore I have to pay the new Fuel Surcharge ( my charge is $35.00, changing the booking number makes the charge $70.00).

Either way I am out $$. I either apply the NC and get my $100.00 OBC ( with the stock OBC) and pay an additional $70.00 in FS!

I am going to wait it out, since there are many times, we cruise with members of my family and I will apply the NC to a cabin that doesn't have a stockholder in it! The NC is in DH name and the stocks are in my name!

This new policy is penalizing stockholders. If you don't own stocks you get the OBC for NC, why shouldn't it be available to EVERYONE?

So much for being Loyal to Royal!:rolleyes:

Can I take y'all on a little detour here?

As a new cruiser (4 cruise credits next month after my Panama Canal cruise), with plans to cruise more often now that I am an empty-nester, and considering RCL stock is down to $14 per share today, would it make sense for me to purchase 100 shares of stock in order to take advantage of the stockholder credit? I'm looking for good investment opportunities now that stocks are so low, and I'd love to have the added bonus of the stockholder credit.

I don't have any other credits at this point in time, so that's not an issue.

As a new cruiser (4 cruise credits next month after my Panama Canal cruise), with plans to cruise more often now that I am an empty-nester, and considering RCL stock is down to $14 per share today, would it make sense for me to purchase 100 shares of stock in order to take advantage of the stockholder credit? I'm looking for good investment opportunities now that stocks are so low, and I'd love to have the added bonus of the stockholder credit.

You can get the same Onboard credit as a stockholder receives, by Booking Onboard a Ship! If that is the reason you want to invest in the stocks!!!!!!

You no longer after the 14th of Oct. can combine the stockholder OBC with another OBC issued from RC( such as booking onboard or Next cruise OBC's).

To invest in the stock is something only you can decide on!;)

The best answer is maybe. The stock very well might be undervalued here and you could potentially receive OBC as well as get a bounce in the stock. However, with the stock tanking so badly it would also not surprise me at all if they discontinue shareholder OBC in the very near future. The stock is extremely volatile and if the economy keeps getting worse, Royal Caribbean may not survive (i.e. there is a risk the stock goes to zero). It all depends on how much risk you are willing to take.

As I'm sure you know, all stock is a gamble! We purchased it when it was a little more than $32.00 and thought we were getting it at a good price then so we're really down quite a bit. I was thinking of purchasing more myself while it's so low but hey, a week ago it was around $19 and people thought that it would't go lower......well, it went to $13 at one point today so I'm still a bit shy about buying more yet......who knows it could go back up but personally I think it's not at the bottom yet. Just thinking that if I buy more and goes up some, that will recoup some of the first buy's losses. I don't know........I know nothing about investing........just what I read.

You can get the same Onboard credit as a stockholder receives, by Booking Onboard a Ship! If that is the reason you want to invest in the stocks!!!!!!

You no longer after the 14th of Oct. can combine the stockholder OBC with another OBC issued from RC( such as booking onboard or Next cruise OBC's).

To invest in the stock is something only you can decide on!;)

But why would anyone with a shareholder OBC book a Next Cruise? Oh, let RCI have my deposit for a few years while I decide when I want to book again? I don't think so.

I agree however with investing in a stock, it's your decision, but at this price I'd go for it.(Bought mine at $40+)

But why would anyone with a shareholder OBC book a Next Cruise? Oh, let RCI have my deposit for a few years while I decide when I want to book again? I don't think so.

I agree however with investing in a stock, it's your decision, but at this price I'd go for it.(Bought mine at $40+)

The OP was not a current stockholder! I was stating that you can EARN THE SAME OBC without investing in the RC Stock, by booking onboard or purchasing a NC. If this was the purpose of purchasing stocks ( to earn OBC's for their future cruise's), why invest $1400.00 that you could LOOSE?

I think the point was that if the OBC was the only reason the poster was looking to buy the stock that there are other ways to get the credit without a stock purchase.

Sorry, I see pmshirl posted the same time as me.

Thank you all for the replies.

I do understand that every investment is a gamble, and stockholder credits are not the only reason I would invest. I would be taking a gamble that the economy and RCL will recover, and I will have made some money as well as some cruising discounts in the process.

I'm not sure I'm that big a gambler, I'm just trying to get some opinions while I mull it over.

I do appreciate all opinions...negative or positive toward the investment.

You can get the same Onboard credit as a stockholder receives, by Booking Onboard a Ship! ...
Essentially true, but not always exactly true, as a long [2 week] cruise gets $250 OBC from Shareholder, but only $200 by Booking Onboard. I would agree, however, that that is NOT enough to rush out and buy the stock.

Thom

We are also deciding on whether to keep the stock or just sell. It down to over half of what we purchase. When we bought it our advisor said it was not a good stock but after I told her about the obc she added it as a benefit and we broke even. I know times are troubling and all stocks are down but is not a good time to push this. We us the obc on the ship anyway to purchase things, so their still getting their monies worth. We use it for things we may not have purchased so in that respect it's a win-win.

Dianna in Austin

i am the worlds worst. i bought 100 shares at $10.00 a long time ago. An "expert' said it was going to $6.00 so I sold it and bought again when it was $40.00. Do you really think there is any chance that RCL could go broke???? I was going to buy some more now that it is cheap. LOL

And the wording in the confirmation letter has changed again....just got this confirmation this morning....see the highlighted word.

Good day,

The requested shareholder's onboard credit has been applied and is hereby confirmed to reservation #xxxxxxx, #xxxxxxx, #xxxxxxx and #xxxxxxx.

**Please note** For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

In the event that two offers or benefits are available on any one reservation, you may choose which onboard credit you prefer. Unless you specify otherwise, Royal Caribbean will issue the onboard credit with the higher value. This applies to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

Please feel free to visit our Investor Relations website: http://www.rclinvestor.com for further details.

Thank you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Does this mean that if someone already has a few cruises booked using a next cruise certificate, they will still be able to use the shareholder benefit even if they didn't apply it yet? I'm guessing they will since the above says the cruise had to be booked before oct 14th. She had hers booked for quite a while but recently purchased stock and didn't get a statement yet. Will she still be able to get the shareholder OBC if she sends her statement in after oct 15th?

Does this mean that if someone already has a few cruises booked using a next cruise certificate, they will still be able to use the shareholder benefit even if they didn't apply it yet? I'm guessing they will since the above says the cruise had to be booked before oct 14th. She had hers booked for quite a while but recently purchased stock and didn't get a statement yet. Will she still be able to get the shareholder OBC if she sends her statement in after oct 15th?

I would interpret the wording to say yes to your question. The rules seem to revolve around the booking date of the cruise and not the date that either the stock is purchased or sent in to RCI to be applied to the booking.

Yes she can.

The statement from RCI clearly says:

For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program.

Someone I know recently purchased stock as well and is cruising with us on October 20. The first statement will not come out until after the cruise. So she printed out the purchase statement of the internet and submitted that.

Whoever 'sge' si you are talking about she can easily apply for the OBC after her statement has arrived.:)

Ocean Boy and FL Cruiser,

Thanks, that's what I told her. She's been booked on a 12 nighter with me for March 09 and she is also booked on the Oasis. She called RCCL last night and the woman didn't even know about the policy change - she had no clue(I'm the one that enlightened my friend about it - she doesn't usually read the main boards and she was so upset when I told her about the change). Anyway, after my friend told her what I told her about the change, the rep went and ask someone else and then told her she would not be able to combine. I did advise her to call back and point out that her cruises were already booked. I told her to call RCCL until she gets someone that knows what they're talking about and then to also email the shareholder investor people and get a definite answer from them.

I faxed my statement, a letter, my booking number, etc to Linda Buchanan in Invester relations( Like I have done for years) last Thursday. It still hasn't shown up anywhere on my reservation.

My ship doesn't sail until Dec. 21 and I am not using an other OBC except my Diamond discount for a suite. Not an OBC but a dollars off.

I wonder who I should call?

I see this issue is still going strong! OK, I just sent my stock OBC request for our 2009 cruise reservations. Based on the answer below from RCL if you are a shareholder you still benefit from owning stock. Am I reading this wrong? What has really changed?

Good day,

The requested shareholder's onboard credit has been applied and is hereby confirmed to reservation #982****, 813****, 964****.

**Please note** For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

In the event that two offers or benefits are available on any one reservation, you may choose which onboard credit you prefer. Unless you specify otherwise, Royal Caribbean will issue the onboard credit with the higher value. This applies to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

Please feel free to visit our Investor Relations website: http://www.rclinvestor.com for further details.

Thank you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kind regards,

Linda Buchanan

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Guest Sales & Service Administration

I see this issue is still going strong! OK, I just sent my stock OBC request for our 2009 cruise reservations. Based on the answer below from RCL if you are a shareholder you still benefit from owning stock. Am I reading this wrong? What has really changed?

Good day,

The requested shareholder's onboard credit has been applied and is hereby confirmed to reservation #9826529, 8133515, 964947.

Please feel free to visit our Investor Relations website: www.rclinvestor.com for further details.

Thank you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kind regards,

Linda Buchanan

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Guest Sales & Service Administration

:mad: Now whats up with that? How did that communication get to you? In a letter? or E-mail?

I need to seriously talk to Linda Buchanan... how can I reach her. She has always been so responsive before. Wonder what I said:rolleyes:

I always email my request with my shareholder proof as an attachment and have always received a very quick reply less than 48 hours.

Previously I have faxed and never received anything so I have not done that in a long time

:mad: Now whats up with that? How did that communication get to you? In a letter? or E-mail?

I need to seriously talk to Linda Buchanan... how can I reach her. She has always been so responsive before. Wonder what I said:rolleyes:

I e-mailed investor relations Monday and she sent the e-mail today.

I always email my request with my shareholder proof as an attachment and have always received a very quick reply less than 48 hours.

Previously I have faxed and never received anything so I have not done that in a long time

I am embarassed to say I don't know how to do that. I mean, I can acccess my statement on line, but it has all my other stocks listed, also. I don't know how to save that document to e-mail later and not sure how to cross out the other investments .. anyone interested in giving me a quick tutorial?

I know, I know, go read a manual...:)

If you faxed your information over you can just follow up with an e-mail telling them you faxed it and could they please send you a confirmation e-mail. I did this a few weeks ago after I hadn't heard anything for over a week and they responded pretty quick to my e-mail. I think they are just pretty backed up right now with people trying to get it done before the deadline.

Archived